Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching to the 750

I have not changed over from my 650 to 750 and see no reason to.  All that has happened is Dillon has taken the priming system off the 550 and put it on the 650, which gives you the 750.  I am not sure I care for the priming system on either the 550 or 650 compared to the 1050 (which I also own).  

I will say this, Its much easier to change the priming system on the 550 vs old 650.  Additionally, you no longer have missed primers advancing on a daisy wheel like before on the 650.  Outside of that, I see no real reason to give it much thought.

If you have a 650, keep loading... if you are buying a new press, you will buy the 750.

On 9/6/2019 at 2:18 PM, dspring said:

A question for those who have bought the 750 already: what are your impressions and how does it compare with the 650?

I bought the xl750. And I had a xl650 I sold to get the xl 750. The xl750 does have a better priming system than the xl650. But I never really had any problems with the xl650 priming system. I do know with the new primer system on the xl750 you couldn’t set off a tube of primers like you can with the xl650.  I put the snowshooze add-ons the xl650 they are on eBay and it made the 650 a lot better. The xl750 powder measure points towards the 4th station. So you can’t use a powder check and a bullet feeder on the xl750 the slide on the powder measure will hit it and you can’t move the powder measure to clear it. The xl650 you can run powder check and bullet feeder. So if you have a 650 I would just run it but if you don’t have the snowshooze upgrade I would do that. Just my opinion.

The 650 for me really is the almost perfect reloader. I’ve added some parts to make the system better but the best for me was the snoshoes primer switch. This thing has helped me out a lot. I will have lifetime replacement parts so I’m happy.

3 hours ago, stick said:

I love my 650.  With all the aftermarket parts I've installed, I have a very smooth, reliable press that has a good priming system.  I see no reason to change.

Totally agree. With a few upgrades like a rollerball turret setup , its smooth and I have loaded over 20,000 rounds and have never had a primer set off......Every couple of thousand rounds I use some compressed air and blow out the primer tube and plate o get rid of any primer residue.

15 hours ago, dfox said:

I bought the xl750. And I had a xl650 I sold to get the xl 750. The xl750 does have a better priming system than the xl650. But I never really had any problems with the xl650 priming system. I do know with the new primer system on the xl750 you couldn’t set off a tube of primers like you can with the xl650.  I put the snowshooze add-ons the xl650 they are on eBay and it made the 650 a lot better. The xl750 powder measure points towards the 4th station. So you can’t use a powder check and a bullet feeder on the xl750 the slide on the powder measure will hit it and you can’t move the powder measure to clear it. The xl650 you can run powder check and bullet feeder. So if you have a 650 I would just run it but if you don’t have the snowshooze upgrade I would do that. Just my opinion.

So why did you switch? 

Thank you for the replies, I have a 650 with a bullet case feeder and primer upgrades that has completely eliminated the ski jump issue and am very very happy with it. The ability to disengage the primer system is the best upgrade for this machine in my humble opinion. I do not plan to upgrade/change the 650, it's an amazing press for me.

My original question was out of curiosity, with no action plan attached to it: since I consider Dillon a serious company I was curious to see  what people with experience in both thought of the upgrade.

PS I clean my primer tubes with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol regularly: they fit perfectly in the small primer tubes and pick up a lot of gunk. Push them down with the primer rod.

Edited by dspring

On 9/11/2019 at 10:14 AM, dspring said:

Thank you for the replies, I have a 650 with a bullet case feeder and primer upgrades that has completely eliminated the ski jump issue and am very very happy with it. The ability to disengage the primer system is the best upgrade for this machine in my humble opinion. I do not plan to upgrade/change the 650, it's an amazing press for me.

My original question was out of curiosity, with no action plan attached to it: since I consider Dillon a serious company I was curious to see  what people with experience in both thought of the upgrade.

PS I clean my primer tubes with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol regularly: they fit perfectly in the small primer tubes and pick up a lot of gunk. Push them down with the primer rod.

Hmm Ive never cleaned my tubes. I guess I should get on that.

On 9/13/2019 at 5:36 PM, DudeRick said:

I really have no intention of switching from my 650, but if I did it would probably be to the RL1100 My 650 has always worked great and I upgraded to it to get away from the primer system of the 550. I'm not going back to it. 

There's a big difference between the 550 and 750 primer system.

The 550 primes in station 1 and gets to pick up all the gunk that comes with that.  The 750 primes in station 2.  Little to no gunk there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the xl750 as my first press.  I borrowed a friends 550 to gain some experience and determine if  reloading was for me.

I am very pleased so far.  It runs smoothly, is solid, adding the self indexing shell plate combined with the variable speed case feeder I am impressed with the production rate.