Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
yigal

40 cal. service life

how many rounds with major  pf.  can hold slide  and barrel in  40 cal.

I think it is generally accepted that a 2011 upper could go anywhere from 50-150k rounds.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I broke a barrel on my TSO at around 30K

11 minutes ago, cheby said:

I broke a barrel on my TSO at around 30K

expected service life for tso 40 barrel is 35k.   that's o.k.

seems like 50K would be an acceptable minimum and a NO PROBLEM for these guns. After that is luck, so I was told by the people from Bul factory. They had guns reaching 200K but they said, it is unpredictable, after 50K you are on your own.

The type of Bullets you use dramatically changes the potential service life of a barrels rifling. For example, Coated bullets produce very little friction on the rifling. Jacketed bullets produce much more friction. The worst friction bullets I have used were Montana Gold bullets with their brass jacket. I could shoot out the rifling within 30k using those bullets. I use coated Bullets now and have yet to wear out the rifling of a barrel with them. The mechanical lockup of the barrel or slide to frame fit usually wears out causing accuracy issues long before the rifling would wear out. How long the mechanical lockup lasts completely depends on who built the gun. 

I shot Ltd 40sw guns for several years.  I think how long the barrel, slide & frame last depends on

how you have the gun sprung.  The lighter the recoil spring the more potential damage you can do

to these parts.  I always thought that a 12# recoil spring w/shok buff was the way to go.  And for

years it worked well.  Never had a slide crack, but did have two Scheumann Hybrid barrels crack

in the same place; one with 80K and the second with 15K.  These were older (5-6 years ago) barrels

and Scheumann would not stand behind them saying they were fit to tight (not Will Scheumann).

Then on the second cracked barrel my STI frame cracked.  However, STI replaced my frame.  So if

I had it to do over again, I would use a 13 or 14 pound recoil springs.  I've heard of these parts in a

standard build (bull or bushing barrel) last over 100,000 rds.

My Glock 24 has seen literally thousands of rounds. No problems at all. I feed it a steady diet of hot 155 and 165 grain loads that average 1200 fps. No problems whatsoever. still a very accurate handgun. Glocks seem to be able to take extreme use. Also have a few G35’s but I changed to a single  Gen 3 type recoil spring in my Gen 4”s.  Hot 10mm ammo hasn’t seemed to hurt my G20 Gen3 either, though I have only about  700 rounds fired thru it.

I had my custom built limited gun rebarreled at approximately 80k rounds.  I quit keeping track after it went over 125k.  It now has in excess of 150k rounds through it.  And yes, it is time for a new barrel.  Started shooting this gun back in 1999, still runs like champ.  Hope this gun lasts forever!

36 minutes ago, MadBomber said:

I had my custom built limited gun rebarreled at approximately 80k rounds.  I quit keeping track after it went over 125k.  It now has in excess of 150k rounds through it.  And yes, it is time for a new barrel.  Started shooting this gun back in 1999, still runs like champ.  Hope this gun lasts forever!

👍

it's 1911/2011 base?

11 hours ago, yigal said:

👍

it's 1911/2011 base?

Yes, SV frame, Caspian slide, Schueman bull barrel and Accu-rails.

5 minutes ago, MadBomber said:

Yes, SV frame, Caspian slide, Schueman bull barrel and Accu-rails.

A.R.  old good school👍

20 hours ago, Sparky said:

I shot Ltd 40sw guns for several years.  I think how long the barrel, slide & frame last depends on

how you have the gun sprung.  The lighter the recoil spring the more potential damage you can do

to these parts.  I always thought that a 12# recoil spring w/shok buff was the way to go.  And for

years it worked well.  Never had a slide crack, but did have two Scheumann Hybrid barrels crack

in the same place; one with 80K and the second with 15K.  These were older (5-6 years ago) barrels

and Scheumann would not stand behind them saying they were fit to tight (not Will Scheumann).

Then on the second cracked barrel my STI frame cracked.  However, STI replaced my frame.  So if

I had it to do over again, I would use a 13 or 14 pound recoil springs.  I've heard of these parts in a

standard build (bull or bushing barrel) last over 100,000 rds.

The old Scheumann used to crack. Was it an ISLAND barrel? 

SVI used to use them, stopped when they realized of this issue and they now make their own.

Yes both were Island barrels and cracked at the breech end of the island.  After I replaced

the first one with another Scheumann I wished I had replaced it with an SVI, would had to

have the slide cut milled, but hind sight is always 20/20.

Just to add my 2 cents' worth.
My STI Edge has circa 65,000 rounds through it. Accuracy has started to wobble at distances beyond 25 metres - the group size has opened up to about 6/8 inches (with different types of ammo), so I guess the lockup is quite worn. 
Still acceptable out to 20 metres though, so a good beater/backup gun to train with while babying my primary competition gun.

I’ve seen a couple Glocks (22s, 35s) break when fed a steady diet of +P duty ammo. They ranged between maybe 5k to 30k on them. Usually it was the slides/breach face or frame rails that were breaking. 

I’d expect a well built 2011 with coated bullets at 170 pf to go much further than that. No idea how far a 2011 would go on nothing but duty ammo.

Point being, ammo is going it be a big factor. And spring weight, maintenance schedule, etc. 

Frangible type bullets will wear out the rifling rather quickly.

Rich