Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
rowdyb

I shot my first non-local pcc match.

I shot my first non local pcc match over the labor day weekend. I had shot the JP GMR15 in about 4 local matches and that's it. And probably about 5 personal sessions at the range.

This was an idpa match in Tennessee. So you're limited to 30 rounds in a mag but the stages max at 18 so you never reload. You don't have to wear a vest obviously. If you carry a mag on your belt it hasto be behind you hip. So a little different from uspsa but not terribly so that you can't overcome it.

As someone primarily known as a pistol shooter here are my observations about myself, not the sport or the gun or the stages.

• manipulating a thing like a door handle or pulling a rope is a little different with a long gun vs a pistol. i hadn't thought to much about it and just went for it in the moment. i am glad i have the strength to hold my carbine completely in one hand on the grip.
  • i shoot the dot at the same speed i shoot my iron sights. so reasonably quick but not dot quick. i'm not getting the speed benefit just a very nice accuracy one.
  • the feeling of confidence in equipment that runs makes the gun disappear from your mind. it was incredibly freeing to not be conscious of the gun at all. just dot, trigger and repeat.
  • i can exit positions well with the dot and pcc. but i have not incorporated the level of shooting on the move (very hard in an idpa match not designed for it) and entry. i do not have the procedure and timing of having the pcc mounted and dot on target as soon as i think i should to be successful. this will take some back yard dry fire.
  • pcc, especially in idpa's scoring system, does follow the description of an accuracy division disguised as  a speed division. basically you have to get as many 0   (Alpha equivalent) as possible. with time plus and the ability you have with the pcc you are off the back compared to others with high points down.
  • division pf for idpa is 135, so you're trying to shoot for 140 at chrono. i made pf ammo at the last second after practicing with 125pf ammo. it made no difference for me in feel or how things went. again, the idea of the gun and ammo just not entering into my conscious mind during the course of a stage.

It totally changes the flavor of the match. I honestly feel I am shooting an entirely different match than the pistol guys. Not sure if that can be either just good or bad. So there ya go.

Edited by rowdyb

That’s awesome man, thanks for sharing that experience. 👍

I’ve found that 145-150pf ammo is optimal to get the gun running flat...at least with a hydraulic buffer system and short stroked bolt.  

You should be getting both a speed and accuracy benefit with your dot.

Shooting on on the move with a PCC can be difficult because the gun is mounted to your shoulder while you move.  You don’t have the benefit of allowing your arms to absorb movement like you would with a pistol.  The key is to absorb as much energy and bounce with your knees as possible to keep your dot steady as you move.

7 hours ago, CalTeacher said:

should be

Yep, I do recognize it early on. Like anything it is the implementation. Thanks for reminding me.

On 9/4/2019 at 5:46 PM, rowdyb said:

I honestly feel I am shooting an entirely different match than the pistol guys.

And that is what the 'PCC is cheating' crowd doesn't understand.

Welcome to the dark side ;)

If a club's stage designs follow the rules and they aren't intentionally trying to mess with pcc guys then due to the fault lines and magazine capacity I really am just totally focused on execution in a way I rarely did with a pistol.

It does feel like cheating but that feeling is only because of how greatly what you're doing changes. Accept it as change and you're in a different match and then all just becomes so much more freer.

Shooting a PCC really does feel like cheating at times, I’ve noticed that as long as the stages are set up to not screw with a PCC shooter you really only need to focus on the positions you plan on shooting from and how to get to those positions as quick as possible. Then just pull the trigger as fast as possible once that dot is on the target.

2 hours ago, mveto said:

Shooting a PCC really does feel like cheating at times, I’ve noticed that as long as the stages are set up to not screw with a PCC shooter you really only need to focus on the positions you plan on shooting from and how to get to those positions as quick as possible. Then just pull the trigger as fast as possible once that dot is on the target.

This............And Rowdy , shooting while moving is very different as stated above.

13 hours ago, rowdyb said:

If a club's stage designs follow the rules and they aren't intentionally trying to mess with pcc guys then due to the fault lines and magazine capacity I really am just totally focused on execution in a way I rarely did with a pistol.

It does feel like cheating but that feeling is only because of how greatly what you're doing changes. Accept it as change and you're in a different match and then all just becomes so much more freer.

I think that's a pretty good way to describe it. 

PCC has its own challenges, and honestly I think if you're comparing it to an Ooen Gun, many of the advantages of a PCC Vs. Open dissolve once you're in the M/GM range. 

On 9/4/2019 at 6:46 PM, rowdyb said:
  • the feeling of confidence in equipment that runs makes the gun disappear from your mind. it was incredibly freeing to not be conscious of the gun at all. just dot, trigger and repeat.

Welcome to the dark side.  For me, this was my aha moment.  At that point, pistol or carbine doesn't matter, the mind is free to focus on the stage.

With all of the whining and gnashing of teeth about PCC in IDPA, the small amount of my group (including me) that shoots PCC tries to keep the noise down by shooting "HSO".  Head Shots Only.

Doesn't really slow you down all that much, even when shooting the weak shoulder targets.

It does keep the ESP guys from complaining, which is good.

AD

On 9/7/2019 at 10:42 PM, ADulay said:

With all of the whining and gnashing of teeth about PCC in IDPA, the small amount of my group (including me) that shoots PCC tries to keep the noise down by shooting "HSO".  Head Shots Only.

Doesn't really slow you down all that much, even when shooting the weak shoulder targets.

AD

I would do the opposite and pour it on,

Maybe they need a hug.

On 9/7/2019 at 9:42 PM, ADulay said:

AD

....why? 

It's not practical and you're admitting to those guys that you should have a handicap. More harm than good IMO. Go out and shoot your match. 

On 9/4/2019 at 9:45 PM, CalTeacher said:

......The key is to absorb as much energy and bounce with your knees as possible to keep your dot steady as you move.

Don’t the Special Forces guys use that bent knees, stabilized upper body technique for both rifle and handgun shooting on the move?

On 9/11/2019 at 10:22 AM, dmshozer1 said:

I would do the opposite and pour it on,

Maybe they need a hug.

Absolutely.  beat the brakes off them.