Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
VU2AKILL

Number of GMs

Recommended Posts

 

Cool - I didn't know we could rearrange quoted text. Moving a conclusion to apply to more lines than originally written will be a fun option for future comments! :devil:

3 hours ago, motosapiens said:

well, mrs moto missed GM by about 1/2% the first time she ever shot RFRO (with a brand new gun) this week, so the classification system is stupid and broken.

 

I have to say I care alot more about just improving my times than I do about what class I'm in, but wutever.

 

1 hour ago, Hammer002 said:
3 hours ago, motosapiens said:

mrs moto missed GM by about 1/2% the first time she ever shot RFRO (with a brand new gun) this week

 

I care alot more about just improving my times than I do about what class I'm in

 

 

so the classification system is stupid and broken

 

Not arguing the other way, you're entitled too whatever opinion you like, I was just wondering how the first two statements concluded to the third?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bdpaz said:

 

Cool - I didn't know we could rearrange quoted text. Moving a conclusion to apply to more lines than originally written will be a fun option for future comments! :devil:

 

 

Not sure your intent, but to clarify, two justifications were given to a statement. I just put them in an order to understand and debate their meaning and conclusion.  Basic repeat (reciprocate) the statement given in a more simple way to generate a response, in this situation, a pointed question.  If you would be attempting to infer I changed the order to change the debate or meaning of the discussion, you would be in gross error or simply unable to keep up with a conversation intellectually over your head.  Either way, I ask, what did you contribute to the discussion?

 

And before you answer, maybe Google: rhetorical question.  You had no input on any of the discussion before, I doubt you do now, and I doubt you will anytime soon.  So how about we wait for Moto’s answer together, and we both may learn something, he’s got a respectable opinion.

Edited by Hammer002

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My initial post was to get comments from those folks who do want to have a classification and who shoots SC classifiers.  It was not intended for Outlaw steel matches that don’t require a classification or to anyone who chooses not to pay SC the membership fee for a member number.  BTW..... Our outlaw matches are very challenging matches).   I shot outlaw for 3 1/2 years before my first SC match this year (March 2019).   I continue to shoot outlaw matches as well as SC and approach them very differently.  I shoot against friends with no classification and they are extremely fast and accurate shooters.

 

Back to those folks who are classified for USPSA Steel Challenge matches.  If I understand the methodology used by SC to be classified as D thru GM, only 4 classifiers or official SC stages are required.  Not the full 8 stages.  Under this official method, a shooter could advance all the way to GM and shoot only the same 4 stages over and over.  From what I can determine, not all ranges can physically fit Outer Limits and Speed Option......the longest stages of the 8.  Arguably, Outer Limits is the most difficult since it is the only stage with movement.

 

 My thinking....and this is the question to the SC group......is that a shooter that has reached M or GM shooting only 4 of the 8 stages would be at a disadvantage to other M or GM (or A, etc) at other Tier 1 and Tier 2 matches that include Outer Limits and Speed Option.  Does the 4 stage minimum present a true comparison of skill level within the SC classifications?  It is my opinion that I would be at a disadvantage and because of this thinking, we have been driving a bit further to matches that shoot 6-8 stages and/or includes Outer Limits and Speed Option.  (Yes, Pendulum can be tuff as well, but much different that the 105 ft. Outer Limits with movement).  

 

If relevant to this discussion, I have shot quite a few SC matches since March by traveling around so I could get in more scores and more stages.   I am currently M class in PCCO and A class in RFRO.  I am competitive in nature and I am interested in how my M and A class skill level compares to other shooters around the country who have the same class.  And this is still fun (I would shoot any type steel match if SC did not exist).  

 

Thanks.   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hammer002 said:

And before you answer, maybe Google: rhetorical question.  You had no input on any of the discussion before, I doubt you do now, and I doubt you will anytime soon.  So how about we wait for Moto’s answer together, and we both may learn something, he’s got a respectable opinion.

 

i don't really know what you were asking, especially after re-arranging the post. I was simply a) bragging about my awesome wife, and b) being a smartass.

 

I pay a little bit of attention to the classification system, since I would like to join mrs moto as a GM (still inching my way up in RFPI , but currently just over 1% away), but since the goalposts keep getting moved, it's not really as reliable an indicator of my training and improvement as my total times. At a match tho, I could care less about other people's classification. I shoot against everyone in the division, not just the other people that haven't trained hard enough to get good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, motosapiens said:

 

i don't really know what you were asking, especially after re-arranging the post. I was simply a) bragging about my awesome wife, and b) being a smartass.

 

I pay a little bit of attention to the classification system, since I would like to join mrs moto as a GM (still inching my way up in RFPI , but currently just over 1% away), but since the goalposts keep getting moved, it's not really as reliable an indicator of my training and improvement as my total times. At a match tho, I could care less about other people's classification. I shoot against everyone in the division, not just the other people that haven't trained hard enough to get good.

 

Ah, I see. Agreed. I am always chasing my own numbers.  And congrats on the wife skill level. Bet that adds a different type of competitiveness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hoops said:

My initial post was to get comments from those folks who do want to have a classification and who shoots SC classifiers.  It was not intended for Outlaw steel matches that don’t require a classification or to anyone who chooses not to pay SC the membership fee for a member number.  BTW..... Our outlaw matches are very challenging matches).   I shot outlaw for 3 1/2 years before my first SC match this year (March 2019).   I continue to shoot outlaw matches as well as SC and approach them very differently.  I shoot against friends with no classification and they are extremely fast and accurate shooters.

 

Back to those folks who are classified for USPSA Steel Challenge matches.  If I understand the methodology used by SC to be classified as D thru GM, only 4 classifiers or official SC stages are required.  Not the full 8 stages.  Under this official method, a shooter could advance all the way to GM and shoot only the same 4 stages over and over.  From what I can determine, not all ranges can physically fit Outer Limits and Speed Option......the longest stages of the 8.  Arguably, Outer Limits is the most difficult since it is the only stage with movement.

 

 My thinking....and this is the question to the SC group......is that a shooter that has reached M or GM shooting only 4 of the 8 stages would be at a disadvantage to other M or GM (or A, etc) at other Tier 1 and Tier 2 matches that include Outer Limits and Speed Option.  Does the 4 stage minimum present a true comparison of skill level within the SC classifications?  It is my opinion that I would be at a disadvantage and because of this thinking, we have been driving a bit further to matches that shoot 6-8 stages and/or includes Outer Limits and Speed Option.  (Yes, Pendulum can be tuff as well, but much different that the 105 ft. Outer Limits with movement).  

 

If relevant to this discussion, I have shot quite a few SC matches since March by traveling around so I could get in more scores and more stages.   I am currently M class in PCCO and A class in RFRO.  I am competitive in nature and I am interested in how my M and A class skill level compares to other shooters around the country who have the same class.  And this is still fun (I would shoot any type steel match if SC did not exist).  

 

Thanks.   

 

 

 

Yes. There are several who get to high classifications shooting less than the full eight.  Maybe 4. Maybe 6.  One would need to be cognitive of it and do as you do, chase other matches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2019 at 10:03 AM, motosapiens said:

well, mrs moto missed GM by about 1/2% the first time she ever shot RFRO (with a brand new gun) this week, so the classification system is stupid and broken.

 

Someone with a history of practice as a GM in PCCO has two excellent GM runs (and one A run and one M run) with a rimfire rifle, and the classification system is stupid and broken?

 

Hm.  And yet, I'd personally be surprised if a GM in PCCO with experience _didn't_ have good runs with a RFRO, first time or not.  I'd say this was a case where the classification system demonstrated its aptness pretty well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Thomas H said:

 

Someone with a history of practice as a GM in PCCO has two excellent GM runs (and one A run and one M run) with a rimfire rifle, and the classification system is stupid and broken?

 

Hm.  And yet, I'd personally be surprised if a GM in PCCO with experience _didn't_ have good runs with a RFRO, first time or not.  I'd say this was a case where the classification system demonstrated its aptness pretty well.

 

 

My bad for not using sarcasm emoji's. Please assume that everything I post is in a sarcastic tone of voice.  ;)

 

and fwiw, the gun was brand new and had 2 malfunctions. without those she would have made GM the first time, lol. It's starting to get broken in now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...