Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
VU2AKILL

Number of GMs

Is there anywhere that a person can look to see the number of shooters that have made it to each certain classification level, particularly GM status??

Here's approximate distribution for USPSA Production. Not exact as it only includes people who participated in a match recently.

GM 54

M 195

A 296

B 754

C 1135

D 466
U 1833

Edited by lstange
corrected data

8 minutes ago, lstange said:

Here's approximate distribution for USPSA Production. Not exact as it only includes people who participated in a match recently.

GM 54

M 195

A 296

B 754

C 1135

D 466
U 1833

Where is this data from??  Can members of USPSA and Steel Challenge view the data??

There used to be a place that kind of had it, but it showed number per division and there was no way to know how many were duplicates becasue they are GM in more than one division. I don't remember how to get to it, it's probably gone with the new website.

A sample of recent matches. Sadly there is no user-friendly interface to aggregate it yet.

This was posted on the Steel Challenge page on FB

FB_IMG_1567625426948.jpg

21 hours ago, UFO said:

FB_IMG_1567625426948.jpg

Thank you.  This is what I was looking for.

FB_IMG_1567625426948.thumb.jpg.298a151ec9a1e48bb04548e57796e325.jpg

Best me to it. Thanks for posting it.

Wow, some of those numbers are much lower than I expected. 25 production gms total? I expected pcco to be higher as well.

On 9/4/2019 at 2:53 PM, lstange said:

Here's approximate distribution for USPSA Production.  only includes people who participated in a match recently.

GM 54

M 195

A 296

B 754

C 1135

D 466
U 1833

Only 2,500 people shooting Production, in the entire country, are C or higher ???    WOW.

And almost half are either D or U ???    Makes me feel a whole lot better.

But, fewer than 5,000 people shooting Production, in the entire country ?    Seems low.  ????

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Only 2,500 people shooting Production, in the entire country, are C or higher ???    WOW.

And almost half are either D or U ???    Makes me feel a whole lot better.

But, fewer than 5,000 people shooting Production, in the entire country ?    Seems low.  ????

I wonder if the numbers seem low because of so many shooters at tier one matches not being members of SCSA?  I knkw at my local matches we have many non-members that shoot matches, so I assume their scores go unposted. Several of them are B or higher in their scores..

On 9/6/2019 at 8:45 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Those are distinct USPSA IDs. People who shoot production but do not have a USPSA ID were not counted since there's no way to tell the same person shooting two matches from two different people.

On 9/6/2019 at 11:29 AM, scffacenter1 said:

Wow, some of those numbers are much lower than I expected. 25 production gms total? I expected pcco to be higher as well.

where we are, the majority of people shooting production or SS guns register as limited, because people actually shoot limited. I don't actually have a classification in prod or ss, but I have almost only ever shot prod and ss guns in centerfire. 

Add 1 more to the rfpo numbers. Mrs moto tipped herself into GM earlier this evening (her 2nd GM division after PCCO).

Edited by motosapiens

Thanks for posting that link !! I am on the list however is there a link to where we rate overall? Not able to find that thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody else have a problem with lifetime GM status?  I would bet a very large percentage of GMs can not shoot the current lower scores.  And they will go lower next time they review.  Rimfire is getting stupid low, a kid broke into the 50s this weekend at AL state.  More will do it.  My bet is we will see a couple 6.5 second peek times next year, smoke and hope and accelerator.  PCC times will go down as well.  The only times not going down are revolver.  So if a GM can't shoot current peek times, is he really a GM?

Edited by Andyk

Who broke into 50 ??? Chris b has been on a Tarrant!!!

25 minutes ago, Andyk said:

Anybody else have a problem with lifetime GM status?  I would bet a very large percentage of GMs can not shoot the current lower scores.  And they will go lower next time they review.  Rimfire is getting stupid low, a kid broke into the 50s this weekend at AL state.  More will do it.  My bet is we will see a couple 6.5 second peek times next year, smoke and hope and accelerator.  PCC times will go down as well.  The only times not going down are revolver.  So if a GM can't shoot current peek times, is he really a GM?

If it's a problem and we started adjusting classification for GM's, we should do the same for all classifications. In fact, it's probably more of a issue for every other classification then it is for GM.

19 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Who broke into 50 ??? Chris b has been on a Tarrant!!!

Yea

it was Chris Barret.  59.8 RFRO.  Kid tore it up.  1st, 3rd and another top 10, maybe 6

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

If it's a problem and we started adjusting classification for GM's, we should do the same for all classifications. In fact, it's probably more of a issue for every other classification then it is for GM.

I'm fine  with that and I doubt it is more in other classes.  GM times are getting so low very few can achieve them, as it should be.  I see GMs all the time that made it years ago a can't shoot master level at today's times.  Look at tier 2 scores, there are lots of GMs in The middle of the pack.  Just yesterday 7 Ms and 2GMs in rimfire rifle finished in the bottom half of the class.  That's over 10% of the class.  25% of the GMs and Ms in the class in the bottom 50%.  They couldn't all have had broke guns.  Lots of A B and C shooters in front of them

Edited by Andyk

1 hour ago, Andyk said:

I'm fine  with that and I doubt it is more in other classes.  GM times are getting so low very few can achieve them, as it should be.  I see GMs all the time that made it years ago a can't shoot master level at today's times.  Look at tier 2 scores, there are lots of GMs in The middle of the pack.  Just yesterday 7 Ms and 2GMs in rimfire rifle finished in the bottom half of the class.  That's over 10% of the class.  25% of the GMs and Ms in the class in the bottom 50%.  They couldn't all have had broke guns.  Lots of A B and C shooters in front of them

The way the system works, there will be a big gap in GM's at majors it's the nature of the beast. I have paid much attention, but I assume it's still your best run ever for each stage goes toward your classification, right? Your on demand performance at a match is going to be much lower. You also have the potential for gun problems or just off days that puts those GM's lower in the results. I assume they could petition to get their classification lowered if they felt the were no longer competitive.

If GM's make up 4% of the shooters, them being over classified isn't really a big deal. If B class is 30%, there is potentially a lot more B class guys that should really be C class. I think most GM's probably realize the chances of them winning anything after becoming GM dropped considerably.

53 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

The way the system works, there will be a big gap in GM's at majors it's the nature of the beast. I have paid much attention, but I assume it's still your best run ever for each stage goes toward your classification, right? Your on demand performance at a match is going to be much lower. You also have the potential for gun problems or just off days that puts those GM's lower in the results. I assume they could petition to get their classification lowered if they felt the were no longer competitive.

If GM's make up 4% of the shooters, them being over classified isn't really a big deal. If B class is 30%, there is potentially a lot more B class guys that should really be C class. I think most GM's probably realize the chances of them winning anything after becoming GM dropped considerably.

This.  ALL of this ^^^.  lol.  There really is a big difference, especially in GM status cause there is no ceiling.  95.1 percent GM vs 110 percent or 120 percent GM is going to be no contest.  And nothing is a given.  A GM can blow a stage just as easy as any other classification, however, its usually more costly within their classification competitors.  I believe it would be more important to remedy other classes than GM, but they also stay within a smaller bracket.

Keep in mind, as I remember it, they wanted to move the peak times down TWICE as much as they did this year, saying they wanted to break the movement into at least two years.  I would expect, and hope for that matter, this remains true and we get the same change, think it was 3 seconds for most, in 2020.

The times are only going lower with each review.  I can tell you without a doubt, I can't shoot GM times anymore for two reasons. 1) I haven't shot SCSA in over a year and 2) any slight mistake or issue with anything and your score is done.