Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Face5535

1050 Primer Seating depth (question)

Hey all, I have been loading on my 1050's for a while.  I am not sure but do the primers look to be seated to deep?  The two on the left are 45acp and 9mm that I have loaded.  They shoot perfectly and I have no issues, however they do look a bit "crushed"

The two on the right is factory ammo that was laying around.  Thoughts and advice?

https://flic.kr/p/2h9Z5PD

Edited by Face5535

I just setup a new to my RL 1050 and through my searching I found something that said 4-6 thousandths for primer depth. Can you measure the factory round and then measure yours?  Its a super easy adjustment to make. 

Since the 1050 actually allows you to increase primer seating depth, I know a lot of people actually slightly crush their primers with the 1050. I don't have a pic of my seated primers, but I'm definitely more crushed than what you have pictured. No problems with ignition thus far.

The S1050 is able to seat primers deeper. I have mine adjusted to seat the primers 0.004” to 0.006” below flush. Even at that depth my primers don’t look crushed. 

I think I’m just gonna roll with what i have... have not had any issues to this point.  They did look a bit off but, since they are working, I’m not messing with it

So there's a saying, "if it's not broken, don't try to fix it."

Or the tinkerer's alternative,  "if it's not broken, fix it until it is." 

The 1050 gives you a ton of adjustability, which means there's a ton of ways to get it right, but it also means there's a ton of ways to get it wrong. If it's working for you, I wouldn't worry about it. 

I use Federal Primers and seat them .006 deep. I have 100% ingnition in my lightened trigger 625.  I keep it the same for all my 1911's,  no issues.

Jim