Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers- more, faster.

Benji

I have a holding rack mounted on the case feeder that I hang my full primer tubes on.  I use a FA vibra prime to typically load 500 primers for the 650.  I simply pull them off and refill the press as required.  I don't tend to do more than 2-300 rounds at a time.

58 minutes ago, Benji said:

Is it any better than the FA vibra prime? 

never used a vibra prime. I dump 100 in, and load  rounds while it is filling. 

1 hour ago, 4n2t0 said:

Vibra Prime. I modified mine to accept the standard Dillon primer tubes. It takes me about 10 minutes to load 10 tubes.

In those 10 minutes I have loaded 250 rounds

1 hour ago, Balakay said:

I might be in the minority but I love my Dillon RF100. Obviously more expensive than but I don't care. I love the multitasking!

1 hour ago, teros135 said:

RF100.  Put them in, let it run. 

I have the Dillon RF100 and love it. It loads a tube in about 45 seconds or less (never timed but not long) and have never had to slow down my reloading due to empty primer tubes. It's kinda loud, but it works really well. 

No, I would not consider the use of the RF100 as the minority at all. 

+1 for the vibraprime. It takes about 10-20 seconds to fill a tube. I usually fill ten tubes and then just load.

The VP comes with a filler tube that you are then supposed to use and then transfer the primer from that to your normal tube. I just fill the normal dillon tubes directly instead of using the supplied tube.

It's fast and hard to beat the price.

41 minutes ago, BlindAsABat said:

+1 for the vibraprime. It takes about 10-20 seconds to fill a tube. I usually fill ten tubes and then just load.

The VP comes with a filler tube that you are then supposed to use and then transfer the primer from that to your normal tube. I just fill the normal dillon tubes directly instead of using the supplied tube.

Awesome, thanks!

2 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

I have the Dillon RF100 and love it. It loads a tube in about 45 seconds or less (never timed but not long) and have never had to slow down my reloading due to empty primer tubes. It's kinda loud, but it works really well. 

No, I would not consider the use of the RF100 as the minority at all. 

Thanks. That's pretty quick. I guess it comes down to more work for less cost or less work for more cost.

3 hours ago, BlindAsABat said:

+1 for the vibraprime. It takes about 10-20 seconds to fill a tube.

Another vote for the Vibraprime. 

When I purchased my first one (I also have a new in box one, that's how much I love this thing) it was something like $30.  Turned out to be one of the best reloading investments I've made, aside from the Dillon 650. 

3 hours ago, BlindAsABat said:

Exact my own procedure.

33 minutes ago, RudyVey said:

Exact my own procedure.

4 hours ago, BlindAsABat said:

How exactly do you do that?  what did you modify to fill the Dillon tubes directly?

6 hours ago, BlindAsABat said:

+1 for the vibraprime. It takes about 10-20 seconds to fill a tube.

I had a Vibraprime, once upon a time, and I can't imagine doing the whole operation in 20 seconds, much less 10.  Could you give us a video? 

7 hours ago, teros135 said:

I had a Vibraprime, once upon a time, and I can't imagine doing the whole operation in 20 seconds, much less 10.  Could you give us a video? 

Have one as well, when you get it setup correctly by deburring all sharp edges and some more fiddling it usually takes about 15 seconds to load a tube. That is excluding swirling the primers to get them right side up. 

I had a clip of it on youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha2FdHldkZY  however I found out that the VP work s better if you keep the bulk of the primers on the other side of the VP so only 2 or 3 primers are pushing down on the one going down the hole if it makes sense.

MY VP is going south fast due to bad connections and not working very well anymore so I recently bought a 2nd had RF100 which is working excellent so far.

Not a single flipped primer and takes < 1 min filling a tube without any manual intervention.

b.t.w. I don't think the VP is available any more unless you can find some old stock.

Edited by xrayfk05

13 hours ago, stick said:

Thank you!  It will save me from having to transfer the primers from one tube to another.

You can feed the 650 directly from the Vibra Prime tube. 

If you want to load a bunch of primers before you start reloading, buying extra primer tubes from Frankford is another option.  I was able to purchase extra parts directly from their web site a couple of years back.  Since then the web site has be reconfigured, you may need to call to order additional parts now.