Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Production Holster Rig Advice: RHT Competiton Kit vs. BSPS Boss Kit vs. ???

MinutemanNorm

I always use a lytton custom holsters with a modified boss hangerhanger. Super ridged with alot of adjustment in it. In fact I use the same setup on my open gun holster, limited, production, and revolver holster setups, all by lytton. The only complaint I have with my boss hangers is, the part that extends down sits on my hip and without padding my hip bone gets very sore. Lytton also has a life time warranty on all his holsters.

1 minute ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I ran Ghost pouches for two years. Racers are superior.

The only advantage Ghost pouches have is fitting nearly every doublestack mag out there without changing anything.

(If you run two leaf springs and no dorky nylon setscrews.)

I just bit the bullet and ordered the BSPS Carry Optics rig +1 more DAA racer pouch. From what I see, the advantages of it far outweigh the advantages of the Ghost's, which I'm sure are a good product of their own. 

Having to put in spacers to make non-2011 mags or from Glock to Canik isn't a deal breaker.

I'm really excited to get this rig in hand.

On 9/3/2019 at 4:31 PM, MinutemanNorm said:

Tanders, thank you for the in depth reply. It means a lot!

I'm definitely leaning towards picking up an RHT Holster, the extra rigidity is something I would appreciate for sure. I believe both kits come with a DAA belt. 

it looks like the RHT kit comes with their own inhouse kydex mag pouch (bullets forward which is my current preference), how do they compare to the Ghosts?

Again, thank you so much!

I've never used the RHT mag pouches.  The Ghost ones work pretty well, but they have this complicated leaf spring assembly that tensions the mags.  Kind of a pain to set up the first time, but they do release the mags really smoothly.  I swear I saw competition packages on RHT's site which included DAA Racers.  Those are great, too.  The tensioning system is easier to set up than the Ghosts and I think they look cooler.  Either brand works great.

21 minutes ago, Tanders said:

I've never used the RHT mag pouches.  The Ghost ones work pretty well, but they have this complicated leaf spring assembly that tensions the mags.  Kind of a pain to set up the first time, but they do release the mags really smoothly.  I swear I saw competition packages on RHT's site which included DAA Racers.  Those are great, too.  The tensioning system is easier to set up than the Ghosts and I think they look cooler.  Either brand works great.

Thanks for the follow up! I ended up buying a kit that came with DAA racers.

8 hours ago, MinutemanNorm said:

Thanks for the follow up! I ended up buying a kit that came with DAA racers.

Good to hear. Now buy some 1/3 and 1/6 scale dry fire targets along with books and start your dry fire practice. I had been using Ben’s Dry Fire reloaded and Live Fire plus Steve Anderson’s refinement and repetition.

1 hour ago, George16 said:

Good to hear. Now buy some 1/3 and 1/6 scale dry fire targets along with books and start your dry fire practice. I had been using Ben’s Dry Fire reloaded and Live Fire plus Steve Anderson’s refinement and repetition.

Those are certainly in my future for sure, gotta get those solid reps in.

@MinutemanNorm , sorry I came to this party late. But I have experience in both setups you are talking about. First Red Hill Holster are garbage. Just my opinion. Here is the reason why. I have one for my tanfo stock 2 and 3 and also one for my glock 34 and m&p pro series. Every one of them (that's 4 holsters) wiggle like crazy. They all rock back and forth not allowing me to get a consistent grip. Yes they "click" into the holster so they wont "fall" out but the mold is trash.

I switched to the Ben Stoeger Boss Unicorn Holster and mount. The Holster is made by LS Holster and I have ordered other through their website since. Their molds are precise and perfect fit for each Firearm. They dont rock inside at all and the tension is none for competition (after the stage tighten the screws and you're good to go).

Mag pouches: I had the ghost 360 ones and they are nice alot of people like them. I traded them for a second set or the CR Speed pouches. I like these the best so far. For production their is no reason to get the DAA pouches. They are nice but alot of the top shooters are running CR Speed and Ghost. If you like bullets forward I would suggest cr speed but if you like bullets out then ghost is your option.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, JayTac556 said:

@MinutemanNorm , sorry I came to this party late. But I have experience in both setups you are talking about. First Red Hill Holster are garbage. Just my opinion. Here is the reason why. I have one for my tanfo stock 2 and 3 and also one for my glock 34 and m&p pro series. Every one of them (that's 4 holsters) wiggle like crazy. They all rock back and forth not allowing me to get a consistent grip. Yes they "click" into the holster so they wont "fall" out but the mold is trash.

I switched to the Ben Stoeger Boss Unicorn Holster and mount. The Holster is made by LS Holster and I have ordered other through their website since. Their molds are precise and perfect fit for each Firearm. They dont rock inside at all and the tension is none for competition (after the stage tighten the screws and you're good to go).

Mag pouches: I had the ghost 360 ones and they are nice alot of people like them. I traded them for a second set or the CR Speed pouches. I like these the best so far. For production their is no reason to get the DAA pouches. They are nice but alot of the top shooters are running CR Speed and Ghost. If you like bullets forward I would suggest cr speed but if you like bullets out then ghost is your option.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hi Jay,

It's never too late! I appreciate your input! I ended up buying the BSPS Carry Optic Rig with the comptac body. In fact it got delivered last night while I was at work, can't wait to set it up. 

Maybe I'll see you at Granby next month!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Jay,

It's never too late! I appreciate your input! I ended up buying the BSPS Carry Optic Rig with the comptac body. In fact it got delivered last night while I was at work, can't wait to set it up. 

Maybe I'll see you at Granby next month!
Sounds good brother. Hopefully. I wish I was able to shoot more but my schedule with 5 days on 3 days off rotating all the time makes it difficult.

How are you liking the BSPS rig you bought?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, JayTac556 said:

Sounds good brother. Hopefully. I wish I was able to shoot more but my schedule with 5 days on 3 days off rotating all the time makes it difficult.

How are you liking the BSPS rig you bought?

I feel you! Lately the only shooting I get done is at matches, if I can make them.

Ran the BSPS rig for the first time this weekend, live fire practice Saturday afternoon and again for the classifier match at Granby. I absolutely loved it. Just needed to loctite the Boss hanger cant adjustment Saturday night and it ran great! 

Seriously wish I picked one up sooner. Small 19 person match, with very limited competition in Production but I came out on top, between all 6 stages I averaged out high C class HF.

I feel you! Lately the only shooting I get done is at matches, if I can make them.

Ran the BSPS rig for the first time this weekend, live fire practice Saturday afternoon and again for the classifier match at Granby. I absolutely loved it. Just needed to loctite the Boss hanger cant adjustment Saturday night and it ran great! 

Seriously wish I picked one up sooner. Small 19 person match, with very limited competition in Production but I came out on top, between all 6 stages I averaged out high C class HF.
That's awesome brother. Glad to hear it. I was supposed to help Greg Soucie out for the classifier match but I had work so I was not able to make that match.

6 minutes ago, JayTac556 said:

That's awesome brother. Glad to hear it. I was supposed to help Greg Soucie out for the classifier match but I had work so I was not able to make that match.

Super quick and smooth match. Range packed up by 11:30. You travel up to the Harvard matches?