Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Production Holster Rig Advice: RHT Competiton Kit vs. BSPS Boss Kit vs. ???

MinutemanNorm

Hi,

So we're headed towards the end of my third USPSA season, not many options for winter matches up in New England that dont fill up as soon as registration opens (looking at you Boston Action Shooters), so I am looking at picking up a competition belt/holster rig to practice with during the winter months and maybe even use for the last 3 or so matches I can make this year.

I'm a solid C class Production shooter (really trying to hit B this year,), running my Canik TP9SFX with the factory supplied holster, blackhawk double mag pouch, and a generic universal fit double magazine pouch aimed for concealed carry, all on the belt I wear everyday, Magpul Tejas El Burro Gunbelt (which I love). It's starting to become a real PITA to have to remove my belt and rethread it through my belt loops while mounting my mag carriers and holster every time I go to practice or to a match and then un-do it, nevermind things being a little bit different each session with the belt loops being in slightly different places between different shorts/pants.

Bottom line, I'm looking for a competiton rig like all the cool kids that isn't a massive pain to deal with, and is something I will be able to grow with. I'll probably dabble with Limited in the future, and/or Carry Optics, but right now my focus for the past 3 seasons has been Production. I may also dabble with my Glock 34 and VP9L kit too? So ease of changing holsters is something I'm looking for as well.

I've done a little research and asking around, people seem to LOVE Red Hill Tactical holsters and say thay their Comp Package is a great value. I have also heard that the Ben Stoeger BOSS hanger is the absolute way to go and several have put a RHT holster on their BOSS hanger and super happy with it, and that his Boss Kit is also a tremendous value.

After building a kit out on each respective site for the TP9SFX... it comes out to $265 after shipping and Labor Day sale for the RHT, and $305 for the BSPS BOSS Kit with the Comptac holster right now after shipping. The BOSS kit will probably ship faster, and comes with 1 more mag carrier than the RHT, figure ~$30 for the carrier and it's about the same cost for either rig with 5 carriers. But is it worth another $20 for the Bladetech holster body over the Comptac, I understand that the Bladetech has a closed muzzle and has more positive trigger guard retention, are there any other pertinent difference?

Or scrap that and look into the Ben Stoeger USPSA Essentials with 5 mag carriers for $200.... I almost feel silly considering it but I feel like it's worth a mention, and then get a BOSS hanger and mount it to that same holster (if that even works) in the future?

I tend to be the buy once cry once kind of person (I havent dipped into Open yet, that's really gonna sting). I'm looking for some advice on what would fit the bill better, and maybe provide some input that I may have not considered either, that's always appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

TL;DR - What would you do for first production belt rig knowing what you now now? RHT Kit or BSPS BOSS kit? Other?

I was in the same predicament like you when I started in production with my shadow 2 last year. I bought a DAA premium belt, RHT holster, ghost mag pouches and a BOSS hanger. I bought everything from Ben Stoeger Pro shop except for the holster. In hinsdsight, I should have bought the DAA racers instead of the ghost mag pouches because it has more adjustability.

It served me well. I shot with it for about 6 months until my vision went downhill. I made C at that time but anything less than 3 feet is just a blur so I bought an MPX and started shooting pcc. Is been more fun since then. 

1 hour ago, MinutemanNorm said:

Thank you for your input Greg. 

In what ways did you find that the DAA racers have more adjustability? I'll need to look them up.

Glad you're still having fun!

You can adjust the cant, angle and even have a choice of either bullet forward, rear or out to suit your style.

It also come with various inserts with different thickness to accommodate your mags. I can use my racers to hold the mags for my shadow 2, X5 and TSO.

1 hour ago, George16 said:

You can adjust the cant, angle and even have a choice of either bullet forward, rear or out to suit your style.

It also come with various inserts with different thickness to accommodate your mags. I can use my racers to hold the mags for my shadow 2, X5 and TSO.

Thanks! That's good to know! 

23 minutes ago, mach1soldier said:

Order everything from RHT. Their holster is awesome and you can get DAA or their matching kydex mag pouches.

i love the DAA mag pouches for the ease of use and quick change to other guns. 

Thanks for the input! What are your thoughts on their Springer hanger?

It is definitely worth the extra $20 for the Bladetech over the Comptac; the build quality of the Bladetechs is significantly better.  That being said, the difference in rigidity between a RHT holster and a Bladetech is very noticeable since the RHT is double-layered.  The gun feels MUCH more stable when you draw from a RHT.  You aren't going to draw any faster from a RHT, but the stability does make it more enjoyable to use.

Since you said you're a "buy once, cry once" kind of guy, I would recommend a DAA or CR Speed belt (they are supposed to be the most rigid), DAA Racer or Ghost mag pouches (I personally like DAA pouches since they apply the tension front-to-back instead of side-to-side), a Boss hanger, and a RHT holster if you want the ultimate Production setup.  Maybe get the RHT kit and then pick up a Boss hanger separately from BSPS?  It's much better than the RHT/Springer hanger.

2 hours ago, Tanders said:

It is definitely worth the extra $20 for the Bladetech over the Comptac; the build quality of the Bladetechs is significantly better.  That being said, the difference in rigidity between a RHT holster and a Bladetech is very noticeable since the RHT is double-layered.  The gun feels MUCH more stable when you draw from a RHT.  You aren't going to draw any faster from a RHT, but the stability does make it more enjoyable to use.

Since you said you're a "buy once, cry once" kind of guy, I would recommend a DAA or CR Speed belt (they are supposed to be the most rigid), DAA Racer or Ghost mag pouches (I personally like DAA pouches since they apply the tension front-to-back instead of side-to-side), a Boss hanger, and a RHT holster if you want the ultimate Production setup.  Maybe get the RHT kit and then pick up a Boss hanger separately from BSPS?  It's much better than the RHT/Springer hanger.

Tanders, thank you for the in depth reply. It means a lot!

I'm definitely leaning towards picking up an RHT Holster, the extra rigidity is something I would appreciate for sure. I believe both kits come with a DAA belt. 

it looks like the RHT kit comes with their own inhouse kydex mag pouch (bullets forward which is my current preference), how do they compare to the Ghosts?

Again, thank you so much!

RHTs mag pouches are nice.  However, I would chose the DAA racers over the rht and ghost pouches. The racers have more adjustability and versatility like I stated in my previous post. 

List would go go like this for me:

DAA belt

RHT double layered holster

BOSS hanger

DAA racer pouches

DAA belt
BOSS hanger
DAA racer pouches

I have the exact same stuff and researched it to death before purchasing. I could not find a kit that came with what I wanted so I purchased everything except the holster from BSPS. I think the longer BOSS bracket helps with stability.

1 hour ago, OdinIII said:

I have the exact same stuff and researched it to death before purchasing. I could not find a kit that came with what I wanted so I purchased everything except the holster from BSPS. I think the longer BOSS bracket helps with stability.

RHTs mag pouches are nice.  However, I would chose the DAA racers over the rht and ghost pouches. The racers have more adjustability and versatility like I stated in my previous post. 

DAA belt

BOSS hanger

DAA racer 

I think we may have it settled... time to go adjust carts and see what things are looking like... 

Playing around on Ben Stoegers site I found this: https://benstoegerproshop.com/carry-optics-complete-rig-with-boss-holster-daa-racer-mag-pouches-and-daa-belts-for-uspsa/

If I'm not mistaken, I can get this package +1 more DAA racer and be at approx the same cost as his production rig... the only difference I see is that this includes the DAA racers instead of the Ghost 360's. This set up is still Production legal? I dont see a difference in the hanger mount. 

Would it be a wise idea to pick that up over the production rig and snag an RHT holster later on?

Edited by MinutemanNorm
Different Tab

Yes, thats still a production legal setup. Just make sure your mags and holster are behind your hip bone when setting them up on the belt. 

The main reason it’s costs as much as the production rig is because this setup only has 3 DAA mag pouches compared to 5 ghost pouches. I used 5 pouches for production since you’re capped at 10 rounds for each mag. So if you buy 2 additional DAA racers, the cost will go up significantly.

Keep in mind that the DAA racers are more expensive than the ghost pouches too (whether you buy it apiece or in a kit).

Edited by George16

11 hours ago, George16 said:

Yes, thats still a production legal setup. Just make sure your mags and holster are behind your hip bone when setting them up on the belt. 

The main reason it’s costs as much as the production rig is because this setup only has 3 DAA mag pouches compared to 5 ghost pouches. I used 5 pouches for production since you’re capped at 10 rounds for each mag. So if you buy 2 additional DAA racers, the cost will go up significantly.

Keep in mind that the DAA racers are more expensive than the ghost pouches too (whether you buy it apiece or in a kit).

George, 

Thank you! Yeah the DAA Racers are about $6 more a piece over the Ghosts. I had it priced up for 4 of the pouches, a 5th one would be helpful too I'm sure. I was thinking of getting the 4 and using the Blackhawk double pouch I've got for the 5th and the Barney-mag.

8 hours ago, TrackCage said:

I don't have any issue with the ghost pouches. The price is right and they work.

Not sure I see the draw for the DAA pouches... except to get the metal version to flex on the poors 

Yeah, I don't see the appeal in the DAA Racemasters... I'm sure they're really nicely made but for ~$60 a piece, I think the cost to benefit ratio really plateaus for my situation.

I have the race master pouches too in my limited rig along withrace Master holster

I had the ghost pouches in bullets out setup when I was using. When, I switch to the DAA racers, I set it up to a bullet forward configuration. It helped in making my reloads a bit quicker.

Yeah, just buy the 4th one and use your blackhawk pouch for your Barney mag. I used to have a 6th mag in my pocket as my Barney mag.

I get a smoother release from the DAA higher end pouches so I use them for Mags 1 and 2 and use racers for 3-5. 

I liked the ghost pouch feel but I have a tendency to break them. Not a problem for many. 

Else, rht double layer + stoegers hanger + shooters connection belt (cheaper, I never found any advantage to the higher prices belts) works for me.

You see a lot of this sell used if you are patient. 

1 minute ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I get a smoother release from the DAA higher end pouches so I use them for Mags 1 and 2 and use racers for 3-5. 

I liked the ghost pouch feel but I have a tendency to break them. Not a problem for many. 

Else, rht double layer + stoegers hanger + shooters connection belt (cheaper, I never found any advantage to the higher prices belts) works for me.

You see a lot of this sell used if you are patient. 

Using the racemasters for 1 and 2 seem reasonable enough, especially if there's an unloaded start. 

I'll take a look at the classifieds before I push the order through for sure, second hand never bothered me.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I just bought a new holster from GX holster and it’s awesome. With Boss hanger. C bax hanger is a little more adjustable for the angle of the gun, if that’s important to you. 

https://gxproductsusa.com/gx-vice-holster/

That's a super interesting holster for sure.

3 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I just bought a new holster from GX holster and it’s awesome. With Boss hanger. C bax hanger is a little more adjustable for the angle of the gun, if that’s important to you. 

https://gxproductsusa.com/gx-vice-holster/

I bought one of the GX holsters about a month ago for my CZ SP01 and it is awesome.  Pricey but it is the best holster I have owned.  I put it on my own hanger and it is one rigid setup.