Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which buffer type?

m39nut

I have just ordered a new upper with an 18" rifle length action. The question for me is about which buffer to use to get best reliability. Should I used a rifle buffer and tube or should I use an H buffer with mil-spec tube?

Its all depends on which butt stock you prefer to use. You can get any buffer type to be reliable but if you want to run a carbine type stock such as a magpul moe you'll need a carbine length tube and if you run a fixed stock such as a magpul moe rifle stock you'll need to run a rifle buffer tube and a rifle buffer. Personally I like the JP Silent Capture Spring set up, it can be used with both the carbine and rifle buffer tubes you just use a delrin spacer when using it with a rifle buffer tube, but it is expensive compared to standard buffer set ups.

I plan to use it in 3 gun competition. Right now I use a 20" HBAR but am switching to the 18" fluted to get a small weight reduction. I just don't know if I want a collapsing stock or if I would be better staying with a fixed. 

The buffer is only one element of the operating system and should be matched to the other components in the system, with reliability being one concern. That is, the buffer that contributes to smooth and reliable operation with an 8oz bolt and adjustable gas block in a rifle you clean between every match is not necessarily what you want with a full weight BCG with wide open gas and 1000 rounds worth of carbon build up. 

If you have basically milspec components in the system I'd say rifle tube and buffer would be a safe bet. You can always pull weight out of it later if you go lighter. 

The carbine receiver extension and H buffer should work though. 

Edited by Blockader

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have three different rifles that I use for 3 Gun.  One has Vltor A5 and 18", one with JP SCS and 16" and the other has a TACCOM ULW buffer and 16".  I cant tell a difference and they all run fine.  I have adjusted them all so they shoot my 62g loads / 77g loads with TAC and can switch all the lowers around.  

I would stick w. an adjustable stock for no other reason then it gives you some flexibility in LOP.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally like the silent captures from JP... if you don't have the cash for one of those JP also offers a rifle buffer tube... I think it is red and around 50$... don't quote me on the price  its been a while since I looked.. Solid job going with 18"... I Ran an 18 forever in three gun and then went to a 16"  its plenty accurate but the recoil is much different from the shorter gas size