Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First-time reloading 45 ACP

SelfPeace

Hello everyone. Please excuse me for making my first post asking for help already. It is just that I’m very excited to start reloading 45 ACP and wanted to make sure everything was good. I have been reloading 9mm and 38/357 magnum. So, here’s a few details:

-231 powder (will test 4.6-5.2 incrementally)

-200gr Bayou SWC with hi-tek coating

-Stock 1911

Questions:

How important is it that the powder measure internals be super clean of the titegroup I use for 9mm before adding in 231 powder?

Can the plunk test work for 1911s or is there another way to make sure COL is good to go?

Thank you very much!

I did use the plunk test on my 1911 when I had it. As far as checking COL , I use digital calipers. I also have a chamber gauge for all calibers I reload. When I switch between powders in the hopper, I try to make sure that it is empty and all previous powder is gone. If you empty the hopper and work the drop several times you should get it clear to add your new powder. YMMV.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, amegatek said:

I did use the plunk test on my 1911 when I had it. As far as checking COL , I use digital calipers. I also have a chamber gauge for all calibers I reload. When I switch between powders in the hopper, I try to make sure that it is empty and all previous powder is gone. If you empty the hopper and work the drop several times you should get it clear to add your new powder. YMMV.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Thank you! I will try emptying the hopper as per your method. 

The only thing I can add is to be sure you seat the SWC bullets to where the shoulder just sticks proud of the mouth or you may have feeding problems.  In other words, you should see the round shoulder of the SWC starting just as the bullet protrudes from the mouth of the case.  YMV.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I don't use no sissy gauges.     😇

Real men use the chamber of their actual gun - that's what John Wayne taught me.    :) 

Damn Jack, I didn’t realize you’re that old 😆 . Come over to st Augustine, the OLDEST city in the country and shoot with us 😂.

On 9/17/2019 at 10:07 AM, jcc7x7 said:

005 to .020 of shoulder of bullets sticking out of the case.

1.250 oal

Crimp just straight, no more than .001 with bayou s

They feed great 

This.
The Bayou 200s are basically H&G #68 style bullets, so 1.25" should be just right.

That 231 should work great, and I've actually got fairly similar results with Titegroup, if you wanted to standardize on one powder.

1 hour ago, George16 said:

Damn Jack, I didn’t realize you’re that old 😆 . Come over to st Augustine, the OLDEST city in the country and shoot with us 😂.

1.  Yes, I am that old     :(

2.  I just might do that one day - probably the Most Beautiful city in the country, also   (But, street parking requires a transfusion or mortgage)   ….

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2019 at 8:10 AM, SelfPeace said:

Can the plunk test work for 1911s or is there another way to make sure COL is good to go?

Thank you very much!

Plunk test works fine for me.  If they plunk, rotate freely and fall out, you're good to go.

If I'm loading for something "important" I'll case gauge, too.

I second the suggestion of thinking about a single powder - I run TG for my 45 and 9mm loads.

Or just get separate powderfeeds for each caliber.

Edited by admcd