Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light strikes with PRP trigger? Tula Primers.

IrishPsych

I installed a PRP extreme kit about 4-5 years ago. I'll have to check my email and see what kit I got as I don't recall. I know I got two triggers, a pre-fit and one I needed to file. 

I had a couple light strikes during a USPSA practice session. I was using Tula primers. 

Depending on the trigger kit I installed, is there a way to remedy this aside from just using different primers? I made about 600rd of some 147gr 9mm with the Tula. Most function but had about 2 light strikes in 3-4 mags. 

Is there a more powerful striker spring I can use that won't change the trigger feel much? Maybe a titanium striker?

Do you have any of the striker springs that come with Wolff recoil springs? If so, try changing it out to one of those, I've still got a 2lb 7oz trigger pull using those. I've never run into that issue, but I stick with Fiocchi primers these days. I did used to have some old Wolf primers from a stash, I didn't have any ignition issues with my PRP Extreme or PRP Ultimate Match kits in various pistols.

Are you sure you didnt have a few hi primers? What did the primers hits look like? Did you try the affected rounds again? Did they fire the second time? Clean the striker channel for sure, I doubt a spring problem. Good luck.-------------------Larry

A recoil spring that  wearing out(too light) can cause the slide not to return to full battery. When you pull the trigger the slide closes fully and can leave a very light mark on the primer. I've seen and done a hard reload that will bump the slide out of battery, recoil spring is too light and the full mag pressure will hold the slide back. As mentioned above firing pin tunnel needs to be free and clear of debris. Too much oil here will cause a hydraulic effect, if you do oil a very very light coating. More often than not a high primer can be a loose primer pocket than the machine not seating the primer deep enough.

Rich

• 1 month later...

just got this issue in mine as well, maybe 500 or so rounds since I put in the drop in version of the kit. Did use the lighter springs, plus I went to a wolff 14lb recoil. Gun ran like a top, till this weekend, got some very light primer hits.
Read old threads on here, about the firing pin chanel.. OK the stryker/pin parts in front of the roll pin have never been out.
I run a viper dot,  and JUST got it perfect zeroed and selected my perfect load setup,,, AND.......  looks like only way to clean that chanel is to pull the sight.
I will admit probably had oil in there.
So assuming I strip and clean, and give occassional shot of contact cleaner,,, what kinda round count could I expect before I get dirt caused light strikes ?