Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any new chronos coming on the market soon?

I sold my Labradar, got the Caldwell G2, pocketed $300 and gained the versatility of only needing one chrono. The G2 is awesome. The Labradar still had me needing a second or third chrono. G2 measures everything I need. Its optical but has no cables, no indoor lighting extra purchase, no microphone to be hooked up to, no speed limitation, no indoor limitation, no limitation on what it can track or the types of object to be attached to. I had a labbradar and magnetospeed and that was a real crappy combo for me to have. I experienced all those cons and was still searching for a third chrono. Found the G2, does it all and now can forget all those cons and own a single chrono. My vote goes for G2. Oh and the Bluetooth is reliable and stable and the app is a million times better than the labradar app.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Bimmer said:

What brand is your optical chrono? 

I have a Competition Electronics Prochrono, and it's super. 

i have had the chrono, comp electronic and now the caldwell.  to me its usually the issue of lighting at the out door range. .  i use the diffuser screens. get a lot of odd readings with the optical ones  i have borrowed a labradar in the past , but it too much for me to spend.   

i am surprised no one has come up with a less expensive version of the labradar 

i have had the chrono, comp electronic and now the caldwell.  to me its usually the issue of lighting at the out door range. .  i use the diffuser screens. get a lot of odd readings with the optical ones  i have borrowed a labradar in the past , but it too much for me to spend.   

i am surprised no one has come up with a less expensive version of the labradar 
Check out the G2.
It's optical but isn't dependent on ambient lighting. Use it indoors, out doors, in darkness, doesn't matter. No need to buy the indoor lighting kit or IR set ups.

Here's how it runs. Think of a normal diffuser run chrono and rotate it upside down. Now the diffusers are on the bottom right? The diffusers have a row of led lights so the unit runs off its own supplied light source. No cables to deal with all self contained. Even comes with a bag that includes a tripod, it's a little wonky but once its set its doesn't move.

On 9/2/2019 at 12:42 PM, woodrow said:

I sold my Labradar, got the Caldwell G2, pocketed $300 and gained the versatility of only needing one chrono. The G2 is awesome. The Labradar still had me needing a second or third chrono. G2 measures everything I need. Its optical but has no cables, no indoor lighting extra purchase, no microphone to be hooked up to, no speed limitation, no indoor limitation, no limitation on what it can track or the types of object to be attached to. I had a labbradar and magnetospeed and that was a real crappy combo for me to have. I experienced all those cons and was still searching for a third chrono. Found the G2, does it all and now can forget all those cons and own a single chrono. My vote goes for G2. Oh and the Bluetooth is reliable and stable and the app is a million times better than the labradar app.

what did the lab Radar not do that you needed other chronos?

3 hours ago, Rich406 said:

what did the lab Radar not do that you needed other chronos?

Oh there's a few things. I had to use a different chrono for my speedier (4000+ fps) rifle loads as the Labradar has a velocity cap of 3900fps. My 223 varmint rounds are coming in at around 3850fps but I have faster stuff. For archery I'd have to buy another Labradar product which is a microphone attachment and then be tethered to the chrono...that's not appealing at all. I also shoot clays a lot and I reload 12ga and 410. Unfortunately Labradar can only track slugs and not shot. I needed to use a different chrono for indoors because no matter how much I played with it, it was always unpredictable indoors. At first I thought it was excessive blast that would make it freak out as a 9mm open gun would make it error prone and spontaneously shut off...but then it would track my 50ae loads flawlessly. Trouble with 170pf but awesome with the concussion and fire of 435pf haha. I tried and tried for a few years to like it and make it work for me. Many calls to them and try this and try that. Mine was an early one from Feb 2016, but was told that made no difference. I updated the firmware whenever there was a release. But after having to use other chronos so much I accepted that it had to go. 

I would disagree on the G2 recommendation over the Labradar. I've owned both. Wound up selling the G2 and exclusively use the Labradar now. Ambient lighting DOES effect the G2 and it became very evident to me when doing load development for precision rifle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I would disagree on the G2 recommendation over the Labradar. I've owned both. Wound up selling the G2 and exclusively use the Labradar now. Ambient lighting DOES effect the G2 and it became very evident to me when doing load development for precision rifle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Interesting, I am not finding that to be an issue. But sounds like you found what works for you and that's awesome. Took me many chronos to figure out what works for me and all the different things I do.

On 9/2/2019 at 12:42 PM, woodrow said:

I largely agree about the G2, but I still have a Labradar for rifle use. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If, and it's a big if, your gun(s) are compatible with it, the MagnetoSpeed chronograph is highly recommended.  It's completely independent of the amount and type of ambient light or even no light at all.   It can be set up and used without going downrange and requires no tripod or other remote sensor mount or long connecting cables.   It is also unaffected by muzzle blast and the readings are true muzzle velocity.  Finally, no other shooter at the range is going to shoot the sky screens accidentally since there are none.

However, it's not usable with all types of guns, particularly some semi-auto handguns since the "bayonet" has to be fixed below the barrel.   It works wonderfully with rifles, PCCs, shotguns, revolvers and most .22 LR semi auto pistols like the Ruger Mk-series and S&W Victory with exposed barrels.  It will also work (with an inexpensive adapter) on most centerfire semi-autos with a Picatinny rail on the dustcover.  

Also, the fact the bayonet is hung on the barrel may affect accuracy while in use so you can't reliably zero and chronograph your loads at the same time.

If your guns are suitable, give it a real good look.