Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1050 coming my way

Hi all,

I have an early ‘90s RL1050 coming my way in a couple of weeks and was wondering if there are any suggestions on what I should look at as far as maintenance and/or possible upgrade items. Round count on the press is around 250k and it hasn’t been used in about 15 years.  Stored in a heated basement the entire time with a cover so I don’t anticipate any rust issues.

Thanks in advance!

If it's been stored for 15 years, I'd probably take it down to clean and lube, you'd get a idea of how everything works, and you should be set for several thousand rounds before having to do it again. As for upgrades, I'd load on it for a bit before thinking about that. I found that I haven't had anything glaring that made me want to upgrade. 

Refer to Dillon for disassembly/cleaning. If possible, do your initial cleaning outside. Wear nitrile gloves. Don't forget that the bearing unit has both a front and a rear grease zirc---I recommend you replace the straight rear zirc with a quality ( sharply cut threads ) right angle zirc to ease future lubrication once it is mounted on the bench. I recommend an aftermarket led light for viewing powder..