Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
RickT

Securing Allchin adapter to Mark IV 22/45 Lite

Using said adapter on my wife's guns to mount C-More Railway sights and I cannot keep the adapters from loosening.  I clean the threads in the Al barrel shroud and the steel mounting screws, apply blue Loctite and tighten as hard as I dare, but after one practice session, 500 rounds or so, the mount is likely to come loose.  Any suggestions short of using red Loctite?  If I can't get this to work I suppose I'll have to source steel barrels, but I don't know if that would help secure the mount.  FWIW one of the sights is Aluminum, therefore heavier than the sight on her backup gun, but I suspect both would loosen eventually.

I have had similar problems with some mounts and RDS and found that it might be the blue liquid loctite. It appears to run off small screws and bolts. My son recommended the two part wax-like sticks. One is a catalyst and the other the adhesive part. It seems to work much better.

Do not use Red Loctite unless you don't want to remove the mount.  It takes lots of heat to loosen Red.  Make sure you clean the holes and screws with acetone and then let them sit for at least 24 hours before you shoot the gun when using Blue Loctite.

10 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Make sure you clean the holes and screws with acetone and then let them sit for at least 24 hours before you shoot the gun when using Blue Loctite.

+!  Many shooters neglect to clean and degrease both the receiver holes and screws before using Loctite.  This is essential to get a good bond.  Acetone is certainly as good choice as a cleaner.

My most recent attempt did involve a thorough cleaning of the threads, blue Loctite and a 24 hour cure.  Adapter was slightly loose after about 200 rounds so I'm looking at red.  I don't mind the permanent attachment save the the serial number on these darn guns residing on the barrel.

Below is John Allchin's response to this question.  Interesting that he recommends use of red loctite between the adapter and shroud, blue for the screws.  Worth a try.

"Using acetone de-grease the gun, guns screw holes, bottom of the base and the screws. use red Loctite between the baring surfaces of the mount and the gun. Use blue Loctite on the           screws. Put it all together and wipe off any Loctite that is remaining. This will make it a solid attachment. Please note, if you ever take the mount off the gun you will need to heat the               Loctite up before it will come apart. This is how I install all mounts. I only remove the scope when needed and never the mount."

Make sure the screws holding the sight to the mount are not protruding through the mount and bottoming out on the receiver.