Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame mounted optic mounts & slide racker

nhyrum

I'm putting together my first open gun. I'm looking for an optic mount for an rts2, with a blast shield, I also see a number of different slide rackers, they appear to all have the same dovetail, and they have numerous shapes. Is there one that's prevalent?

I also need to find someone to cut the slide for the racker and flat top it, etc.

I know there's a lot in this post, but these things I don't really understand what makes one better than the other

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I particularly like the Cheely Custom frame mount.  It is already machined for the 1 deg down angle, so you don't max out your dot adjustment.

A racker is a matter of personal taste.  I have one on one gun, but not on the other two.  It you do get a racker, make sure it is one with a ball detent, not a set screw for holding.  I prefer no racker at all.  I had two sharp slots machined into the end of the slide and that's what I use to rack.  A racker just adds weight.

I particularly like the Cheely Custom frame mount.  It is already machined for the 1 deg down angle, so you don't max out your dot adjustment.

A racker is a matter of personal taste.  I have one on one gun, but not on the other two.  It you do get a racker, make sure it is one with a ball detent, not a set screw for holding.  I prefer no racker at all.  I had two sharp slots machined into the end of the slide and that's what I use to rack.  A racker just adds weight.
What's the reasoning behind a detent over a set screw? I was thinking a set screw would be the superior option

2 hours ago, nhyrum said:

What's the reasoning behind a detent over a set screw? I was thinking a set screw would be the superior option

It invariably comes loose.  The detent allows you to remove the racker when stripping the pistol for cleaning, but securely reinsert it after.  The .050" Allen head set screw can't be tightened enough to keep it from vibrating loose.

It invariably comes loose.  The detent allows you to remove the racker when stripping the pistol for cleaning, but securely reinsert it after.  The .050" Allen head set screw can't be tightened enough to keep it from vibrating loose.
That makes sense. I just bought the cheely and zig racker.

Since I got a basically factory p16, I'll need the slide milled for the racker, and probably flat topped for the mount to fit. Any good places to send it to?

I send mine to Gans Enterprises for all slide machining, including lightening.  Gary is a tad expensive, but the work is good and turn around is great.

The last two slides he did look like this.

100_1175.thumb.JPG.0b18896291bf618f77b79171d7d55c0f.JPG

Edited by zzt

His prices really dont look horrible.  I think Ill go to him. what ive got is nothing fancy, so i might not, he seems rather high end. I cant wait to get the dot mounted, and spend hours and hours getting used to a dot.

Man, I'm really beginning to love this gun. I need to drill and tap a few more holes for more screws, knock the irons out, get my zig racker installed, and now find a new holster/hanger. It looks like the daa will be my only/best bet. That, and shoot it, a bunchee5bdac77f4b396ead752a746bb8d86a.jpg