Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backup open gun- Yes or No?

Benji

On 10/16/2019 at 11:56 AM, Trentmopar said:

I recommend having a Bu gun for all the reasons stated above.  But also consider that your backup gun needs to have the same feel or near identical so that you don't have to adjust to it in the middle of a match.  A different trigger pull or grip angle can really mess you up for a couple of stages until you get it down again.  

Since i am cz guy,  about 6 months ago i bought a cz czechmate and was thinking of getting a 2nd one as a back up.  2 weeks ago i came across a used 2011 custom, it was such a great deal that i couldn't walk away from. Doing dryfire i find myself liking the 2011 better. guess I'll be selling my czechmate and get another 2011. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/1/2019 at 4:56 AM, Joeyxbat said:

Since i am cz guy,  about 6 months ago i bought a cz czechmate and was thinking of getting a 2nd one as a back up.  2 weeks ago i came across a used 2011 custom, it was such a great deal that i couldn't walk away from. Doing dryfire i find myself liking the 2011 better. guess I'll be selling my czechmate and get another 2011. 

I did the same thing back in the day.  Once I went 2011 everything else was subpar.

On 10/31/2019 at 10:26 PM, Matt1 said:

The real value of having a 2nd gun is not so you have a backup if something breaks but so you can have a “fresh” gun for matches.

So you train with one gun and then switch to the “match” gun for any match that you care about. The “practice” gun is the backup to matchy in case it does go down for some reason.

For this to work the guns really need to be identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a few guys that use this strategy. Honestly, it tends to get you into your backup at a match more than using the heavily tested beater gun you always shoot. In theory, I agree, it sounds great. 

I know a few guys that use this strategy. Honestly, it tends to get you into your backup at a match more than using the heavily tested beater gun you always shoot. In theory, I agree, it sounds great. 

Your doing it wrong then.

The match gun should be tested enough that it is “proven” but not used enough to wear anything out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, toothandnail said:

I just use USPSA for practice , so no need to shoot major, just a waste of powder.

I’m just messing with you. But my point is minor ammo doesn’t beat an open gun up like major does. Some would argue that is especially true in 9mm. 

10 hours ago, Shmella said:

I’m just messing with you. But my point is minor ammo doesn’t beat an open gun up like major does. Some would argue that is especially true in 9mm. 

LOL, no problem, I do run pretty hot loads, but not heavy enough bullets to get to major

Aside from my back up live practice gun, I have live practice mags, and also have dry fire rig and mags (w/c are not reliable in live fire). These mags are beater mags that are always loaded w/ dummies ready to go df anytime and dropped frequently in dry fire. My Match and back up guns, match mags And match rig go to matches together.

So far this works for me that I very seldom if ever had any hardware problem in matches. Open div. 

I've generally gone with a Match Gun and a Practice Gun. There have been years when I've shot a lot of rounds in training, and saving the wear/tear on the match gun has, generally, felt better to me. 

No empirical evidence to back this up. 

In the military you had field uniforms and garrison/inspection uniforms. Definitely boots

Yes yes yes. Not only does a back up gun give you GREAT peace of mind but it save space in your range bag. That back up huh basically is your parts bin for your main gun. 

At the beginning of the season I broke a extractor. I just swapped Out my broken one with the one on my back up gun. 

• 2 weeks later...

I mainly shoot minor haven’t really had any issues 

plus I shoot with a bunch of awesome guys if a gun goes down you share one to finish the match been there on both ends 
but that being said if it was a money match that you have to travel for maybe a back up gun is necessary? Just in case 

like another guy said better to have it and not need it !

48 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

Bit out of topic. In a major international match say a WS, a guy in your squad needed a spare gun coz his become inoperable and he has none. Would you lend your BU gun?

Absolutely, even if we were the main two competitors competing against each other.