Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
IVC

Cleaning Fiber Optic Front Sight

What do you use to clean the f/o sight?

As I clean my gun (from time to time), the oil and dirt end up fouling the f/o, both the front and the sides. I have SVI sight where the filament is free floating and the mirror underneath also gets dirty. It just gets dim.

I’ve used pointy q-tips but they don’t go underneath the filament well and the oil still gets just spread out. 

What’s a good solution to drip on it and what do you use to clean the sight? Alcohol? Acetone? Something else? I don’t want to damage anything and I don’t want to have to replace the insert all the time. 

^^^ I agree with just replacing the element.  It is relatively easy to do and if you are not familiar with the process it is a good time to learn how.  Best of luck 

I've never tried to clean the FO.  I just replace them

93% rubbing alcohol will remove dirt and light oil. It's what we use for cleaning fiber optic cables and connectors. Also the best thing I ever found for cleaning glasses and scopes.

Ok, thanks everyone - replacing the F/O it is.

There are two good points for me to keep in mind: (1) it's cheap and should be treated like the cleaning patches, and (2) rubbing alcohol will clean it without dissolving it. The alcohol part is good to know in a pinch or at the range if I just want to wipe it off. As a side issue, I already keep spare F/O rods a small cigar lighter in my range bag, so this will be an easy adaptation.