Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Fiber Optic Front Sight

IVC

What do you use to clean the f/o sight?

As I clean my gun (from time to time), the oil and dirt end up fouling the f/o, both the front and the sides. I have SVI sight where the filament is free floating and the mirror underneath also gets dirty. It just gets dim.

I’ve used pointy q-tips but they don’t go underneath the filament well and the oil still gets just spread out. 

What’s a good solution to drip on it and what do you use to clean the sight? Alcohol? Acetone? Something else? I don’t want to damage anything and I don’t want to have to replace the insert all the time. 

Ok, thanks everyone - replacing the F/O it is.

There are two good points for me to keep in mind: (1) it's cheap and should be treated like the cleaning patches, and (2) rubbing alcohol will clean it without dissolving it. The alcohol part is good to know in a pinch or at the range if I just want to wipe it off. As a side issue, I already keep spare F/O rods a small cigar lighter in my range bag, so this will be an easy adaptation. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/31/2019 at 9:56 AM, IVC said:

What do you use to clean the f/o sight?

Just put in a new insert.   The brightness will return. 

Mine tend to last ~6 months, then they start to get dull.  Less if you use Tight Group 😉

An old thread, but a quick add-on.

During the last match, my F/O insert flew out at some point on a stage, but I had the lighter and the spare for a quick fix at the safe table. Must have those parts and tools in the range bag no matter what...

• 3 weeks later...