Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calling Stop on Squib -- PCC

WaJim

Sooooooooo

Age old question...I know

But now its a little different, Especially when PCC are so Quiet.

When ROing a Pistol, Immediately after the RO hears the audible "way less than normal" report on Pistol...kind of a Thup...they'll call stop. I've done it.

But what about PCC when there is little difference between squib and long barrel PCC report.

When does RO need to call stop on PCC squib...

Does he Call Stop when the shooter cannot rack a round?

Or Let shooter spin in the wind till he stops himself.?

There has to be a point when the shooter has to admit the recoil was way less and that there was squib possibility,  Right?

I had a good friend with PCC have a Squib last weekend...I didnt hear it, with 9mm PCC there are other things that will stop a PCC...so I let him try and clear the rifle. I felt kind of bad when it was squib but really wanted it to be a stuck shell, blown up mag or something else he could clear and continue with the stage.

I was glad he couldn't ram another round in the chamber.

If you suspect a squib call for stop but be able to defend why you called it. If it wasn't one they get a reshoot but if it's messed up a really good run for the shooter expect the angry eye.

But I agree PCC can be hard to tell.

I would say it’s really the same for a PCC as it is for a pistol - any time that you think there could be an unsafe blockage of the barrel, you stop the shooter. 

If the round sounds the same but the next round won’t go into battery, there are a number of things that could cause this and I personally wouldn’t immediately think squib (since it sounded the same) and wouldn’t stop the shooter... until their 2 minutes is up (5.7.4).

I would say it’s really the same for a PCC as it is for a pistol - any time that you think there could be an unsafe blockage of the barrel, you stop the shooter. 

If the round sounds the same but the next round won’t go into battery, there are a number of things that could cause this and I personally wouldn’t immediately think squib (since it sounded the same) and wouldn’t stop the shooter... until their 2 minutes is up (5.7.4).

Often hard to know if it went into battery as the RO though at the time you need to call stop because you thought you heard a squib.

Squibs always suck. PCC’s seem to amplify the problem.

The worst as an RO is when you hear a really weak report but you actually see the bullet land somewhere on the range floor but the shooter thinks it’s stuck. You don’t call stop in that case and the shooter has no clue what to do. You both feel bad after.

20 hours ago, broadside72 said:

Often hard to know if it went into battery as the RO though at the time you need to call stop because you thought you heard a squib.

I guess I phrased that weird - I’ll call stop if I hear or see anything that makes me think it’s a squib. 

If I don’t see/hear anything, I will not stop the shooter just because they have a malfunction that could be caused by a squib but could also be caused by other problems.