Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Tactical Sports 40sw magazine doesn't drop free

KindredGhost

Greetings Gang!
2 of my 6 TS 40sw mags with czc extended base pads aren't dropping free.  I didn't have this problem until recently.  The mags drop free with the spring and follower removed, so I replaced them but it didn't fix the issue, so I put the old spring and follower back in.  When I did that I notice the follower was sitting farther forward than my other mags, so i pushed it back a bit and it dropped free.  I now suspect that my 2 mags are out of shape, or at minimum I need to correct the feed lips.  Anyone know what the correct feed lip measurements are?  

Thanks!
Kg

Edited by KindredGhost
added mag info

Not sure if this helps, but...   

I had several magazine lips spread very slightly. Enough that they no longer fed properly and started having problems. I tried adjusting the lips but they went out of spec very quickly. This started around the 5000 rd. mark. But I am sure usage was a big factor (like drops to the ground and similar events). My best solution was to buy new magazines. This eliminated all issues to date.

I just recently purchased czc base pads and spring/followers. Mags are pretty much new,  once I installed the czc stuff  the followers do sit farther forward. I have to push it back to load the first round. Once the first round is in, the rest of the rounds load and feed fine. I'm assuming they need to break in. Are your mags dropping free with rounds in the mag?  If you're shooting uspsa you shouldn't be shooting to empty anyway, which I'm sure you know. 

Edited by Degs

I switched to Springer Base pads as I just could not get the CZCs to work reliably long term. Since the switch, I have not had any issues. 
Mags spring free regardless of load. Now I only focus on my short thumbs- heh heh.

I had that happen with one, but only when full. I squeezed it with a padded pliers and never had a problem again. Had the same issue with Glock mags back in the day.

I have both CZC and Springer. Don’t recall which hung up but neither do now.

I prefer CZC because while the Springer are nice, they are a pain in the balls to take off for cleaning at a match or practice.

I had one of 7 or 8 .40 S&W magazines that would not drop free from my Tactical Sport.  It was pretty ragged looking compared to the other ones.  Ragged along the corners and rough looking welds, again, as compared to the other ones.  All are CZ marked magazines.  Some have extended bases on them and some don't.

I did some measuring with calipers and then some sanding of the shiny and rough looking corners.  Took two sanding sessions to make it work.  Cold blued it and no issues since.

Another guy on the CZ Forum had issues with his and squeezed them in a vise a bit to eliminate the hanging issues.  And his were brand new magazines that were hanging up.

I've had more issues with CZ magazines being tight/draggy and hanging up than any other brand of pistol/magazine.  Something isn't consistent, don't know if its the magazines or the mag. well.  I bought three brand new CZ .40 S&W CZ75 magazines with the +2 bases on them and all three were very difficult to get into the mag. well on the new pistol.  They were fine empty but really tight when loaded.  I could remove one round from the magazine and it would insert and lock in just fine.  I took the +2 bases off them and they worked just great with only 12 rounds in them.  Then I had to buy new Wolf +10% springs for them to get them to push the slide release up hard enough to fully lock it into position in the notch of the slide.

You have choices.  Modify the magazines you have, modify the mag. well of the pistol, or buy new magazines and hope those work correctly.

I had some mags that dragged inside the frame. The mags would contact the lowest opening of the frame where the mags taper from double to single stack. I polished away the frame coating with a rubber cratex bit and the mags function flawlessly now.

Are they not falling out when they are empty or full? I had three mags that did not drop when they were empty. they would fall  ok providing that they had one round in them but not empty. I tried replacing the followers and that did no good. I ended up replacing them. I have heard this a lot with TS mags, without any solution. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This might still pop up from time to time even if the nitrofin was issue. I had to file some material from inside my frame near the magwell and also I had a magazine with a burr on it near the catch that I had to smooth out. I think it was more of a fluke that an issue. Maybe a little extra heavy coating on the polycoat and just beat up mag.