Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig Romeo3 XL,,,

texasdawg

Bought a Sig Romeo3 XL this morning to see if it can replace the Holosun 510C I have on my open guns. Supposed to have the same size glass (32 x 24) and all the other specs are smaller than the Holosun. It weighs about 4 oz less or so if stated weights are correct. Less weight on top in the center of the gun will be a good thing I believe,,, should be here Saturday and will work on a mount between now and then,,, Optics planet has one left from 4 this morning as of posting,899713916_SigRomeo3XL.jpg.e7d178613dadeaad0ccab702ee2fe043.jpg on sale,,,

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The measurements are probably taken in the center of the lens, look like it would have less total glass area since it appears to be curved top and bottom instead of rectangular.  Bottom may be smaller and that would be easier to deal with than the Holosun base dimensions.

Let us know your comparison after you get it running.

Well, good news, bad news,,,

the Romeo3 XL arrived and have had a chance to take some pics and measurements,,, not disappointed but not loving it either,,, I am going to install it and see what becomes of it,,, pics and numbers,,,

R3xl1.jpg

R3xl2.jpg

numbers,,,

Romeo3XL = 32.01w x 23.89 h x 33.94 diag., weighs 1.5 oz.

Holosun 510C = 32.81 w x 26.21 h x 36.71 diag., weighs 3.8 oz.

the savings will be in the weight and hopefully it lives,,, modifing the Holosun mount and will run it Monday to see how it does,,,

worst case it goes on the Sig X5 with the legion grip for CO. I've been running a Vortex Viper with no problems so far,,,

Edited by texasdawg
added more info

Wh

35 minutes ago, texasdawg said:

numbers,,,

Romeo3XL = 32.01w x 23.89 h x 33.94 diag., weighs 1.5 oz.

Holosun 510C = 32.81 w x 26.21 h x 36.71 diag., weighs 3.8 oz.

the savings will be in the weight and hopefully it lives,,, modifing the Holosun mount and will run it Monday to see how it does,,,

worst case it goes on the Sig X5 with the legion grip for CO. I've been running a Vortex Viper with no problems so far,,,

What do you not like about it?

Creature of habit maybe,,, I have a 510C on my backup open gun, but I hardly ever shoot it besides at practice,,, I've learned finding the dot comes from dry fire. The R3XL's dot sits lower on the gun than the 510C and that may be a small problem to solve,,, although I shoot a different dot on either of my carry optic guns: a Vortex venom on the Tanfo and a Vortex viper on the Sig X5 legion,,,

How is the dot clarity and shape? One of the things I don't like about the DPP is that the dot isn't much of a dot like the RMR is. That and I hate the adjustment but the R3 looks like it has the external controls so that could be a huge deal if the dot is nice. 

The dot seems a little star-bursty turned up all the way while dry firing inside. Two steps down from all the way up is plenty fine inside the house. First time I've ever had a red dot that was too bright, though. Will have to see how it does outside tomorrow. I like the way a lighter gun feels and somewhat confirms I need to build a 5" middy gun someday, both mine now are over 50 oz and 5.4" barrels,,, never ends,,,

The dot seems a little star-bursty turned up all the way while dry firing inside. Two steps down from all the way up is plenty fine inside the house. First time I've ever had a red dot that was too bright, though. Will have to see how it does outside tomorrow. I like the way a lighter gun feels and somewhat confirms I need to build a 5" middy gun someday, both mine now are over 50 oz and 5.4" barrels,,, never ends,,,

They all look “star-bursty” to me when brighter than needed for given light. But I’d expect that means in night daylight you will have brighter settings to use as needed.

Let us know when you test it outside. Is that 3moa or 6?

I’m using Holosun 510 now and wouldn’t mind trying a larger dot on a similar size screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, texasdawg said:

at maximum brightness in full sunlight the DPP dot looks like a dot... 

Kujo, it is a 6moa dot. The R3XL and 510C screens are close, but the 510C is bigger. The widths are close and thats what I think is good about the R3XL. if you dont mind the weight and the different dot/circle thing, which I liked, stay with the 510C is my recommendation. Nothing like though, that big giant circle on the first stage of the day to make finding the dot a big easy thing. And on steels the circle is the way to go. I just wanted to try something different. It may grow on me and I will have an extra 510C laying around. They are TANKS,,,

Kujo, it is a 6moa dot. The R3XL and 510C screens are close, but the 510C is bigger. The widths are close and thats what I think is good about the R3XL. if you dont mind the weight and the different dot/circle thing, which I liked, stay with the 510C is my recommendation. Nothing like though, that big giant circle on the first stage of the day to make finding the dot a big easy thing. And on steels the circle is the way to go. I just wanted to try something different. It may grow on me and I will have an extra 510C laying around. They are TANKS,,,

Honestly I’ve never even tried the big circle. Only ever shot with just the small dot. I tried it in dryfire and it just seemed busy for my preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the 510. I just wish it didn’t have the solar panel and was shorter/lighter. The Romeo xl looks like it check that box. Almost same size window. Shorter and lighter. Hopefully these hold up , I’d make the switch from a 510 if so. The circle ⭕️ Is not a viable dot option in my opinion and have only ever run the dot by itself. 

1 hour ago, Shmella said:

I like the 510. I just wish it didn’t have the solar panel and was shorter/lighter. The Romeo xl looks like it check that box. Almost same size window. Shorter and lighter. Hopefully these hold up , I’d make the switch from a 510 if so. The circle ⭕️ Is not a viable dot option in my opinion and have only ever run the dot by itself. 

I have emailed holosun asking for them to create a mini profile 510c without the solar panel. They said they added it to their list of potential products.

1 hour ago, lacivilian said:

I have emailed holosun asking for them to create a mini profile 510c without the solar panel. They said they added it to their list of potential products.

s#!t I’ll have to email them too. That would be the perfect dot. In theory it should keep the price even lower than it already is ! These 500-600$ red dots are ridiculous. If a mini 510 was an option I’d be in for 4 or 5. 

Edited by Shmella

I found a R3XL local for a good price and slapped it on my PCC to replace my R3 for a match today. It's definitely a step up. I

Brighter, much wider, somewhat taller. It's a 6MOA versus the 3. Not as long as the R3. No locking screw for adjustments. Turns on and off like the R1. No real complaints. It's just have to decide if I need that width on my PCC. But if an overkill right now. Would be great on an Open gun, I think. 

On 9/1/2019 at 9:56 AM, texasdawg said:

Thanks. Do you notice any magnification on the sig?

I had a chance to run the gun with the new Romeo3XL and it went great. I dry fired some sunday to get used to the new configuration and had no trouble picking up the dot on the draw and didn't seem to over run target transitions. The dot didn't seem star bursty in the daylight, but it was in the afternoon if that mattered. Im looking forward to shooting it in a match next week and see how it does in live fire situations.

• 2 weeks later...

I was told by Atlas that the front of the R3Max/XL has extra material so it wont fit the older mounts. YMMV

I also just bought a R3XL.Mainly caus the 510C is so ugly in my opinion on the gun :) 

Now question is do I put it on with only a week until Nationals?  hmmmmm

I was told by Atlas that the front of the R3Max/XL has extra material so it wont fit the older mounts. YMMV

I also just bought a R3XL.Mainly caus the 510C is so ugly in my opinion on the gun [emoji4] 

Now question is do I put it on with only a week until Nationals?  hmmmmm
you won't do it lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk