Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brake vs Pattern

ffgats

Hi, Now shooting open with Typhoon F12 and it comes with after market muzzle brake... my Buckshot seems will not pattern as tight as I want, tried different chokes from LM, Mod and IM ... SB , Remington and Federal ammo were also used. 

Does a brake affect how a gun patterns? Will try shooting without  the brake and see what happens... any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks 

I'd bet the tighter the restrictor plates on a compensator the more likely to disrupt patterns.  But that's a guess.

Out of curiosity you might consider the following:

1) as you said try with no compensator and different chokes from IC to Modified.  IC is the tightest recommended for Slugs I believe, so maybe try a Slug Choke.

2) if you're convinced it's the compensator and are going to replace it at some point measure the restrictor plate openings and use a hone, or lathe, to open them out a few thousands at a time and see if the pattern gets better with the choke you found the best above.

3) try to compare the effects of the opening of the compensator had on recoil.

4) get a new Taccom Compensator and recheck to see if it is better.

5) Let us know what you find?

I haven't patterned any buck shot but 7 1/2 & 8 Shot loads pattern very good from my VR80 with IC and a Taccom Comp, did not notice any difference from having no comp on.

14 hours ago, pskys2 said:

I'd bet the tighter the restrictor plates on a compensator the more likely to disrupt patterns.  But that's a guess.

Out of curiosity you might consider the following:

1) as you said try with no compensator and different chokes from IC to Modified.  IC is the tightest recommended for Slugs I believe, so maybe try a Slug Choke.

2) if you're convinced it's the compensator and are going to replace it at some point measure the restrictor plate openings and use a hone, or lathe, to open them out a few thousands at a time and see if the pattern gets better with the choke you found the best above.

3) try to compare the effects of the opening of the compensator had on recoil.

4) get a new Taccom Compensator and recheck to see if it is better.

5) Let us know what you find?

I haven't patterned any buck shot but 7 1/2 & 8 Shot loads pattern very good from my VR80 with IC and a Taccom Comp, did not notice any difference from having no comp on.

The TACCOM brake will have little to zero effect on your pattern.

• 2 weeks later...