Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guide rod for 5 inch guns

Bagellord

Are there any other companies making guide rods for the 5 inch guns, besides speed shooter specialties? I just got another gun set up but can't find any of the longer guide rods in stock anywhere. SSS has been out of stock for a while.

An uncaptured guide rod makes it easier to switch springs--if that's your thing. It was really interesting being able to get 100pf bunny fart loads to run with a worn 11lb spring for Steel Challenge (then again, I ran the stock assembly with 135pf USPSA load and hit two personal bests after an extended vacation from SC).

I am liking my current setup for 132pf with a 13lb spring. Maybe someday I'll pull the stock assembly apart, toss in a 13 lb spring and lock it down. Or maybe I'll just keep using the uncaptured rod.

Edit: someone beat me to it by being more "straight to the point"

Edited by Rez805

I have not looked for S&W metal guide rods, but someone has to make them.  Just look up on your

favorite search engine for guide rods for a S&W and follow up on them.  If the Glock stainless steel

guide rods work in a S&W, then they are easy to find.  But, as stated before in this thread the non

captured guide rods offer you the option of just buying a recoil spring and switching it out to determine

which one works best for you.  In my Glock 35's with 200 gr SNS coated bullets I use a 12# Wolff recoil

spring in Minor caliber and probably could go lighter.  That makes the gun shoot very soft.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2019 at 6:36 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

One more question; is the guiderod for the 5" M&P any different from the one in the 4.25" gun?  I have a 5" M&P9 2.0 and when I bought a spare factory recoil spring/guide rod the part number was the same for both lengths.

That is correct, they both have the same length factory captured guide rods. With the guide rods from SSS the 5” ones extend further into the slide over a factory guide rod