Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
MRBerg

cleaning the comp

trying to clean the carbon build up out of my comp. any slick way to do it the carbon is hard as a rock ! tried soaking it over night no luck any info. would be great 

Ron 

Glass bead blaster

You didn't mention what you soaked it in...

I soak mine in Kroil and it really helps.  After an overnight soak, I use a brass punch to remove the bulk of the build up and it breaks away from the metal.  I then use a needle file to gently clean the rest out.

I take it you plug the bore before blasting to keep it out do you tape off the outside so you don't mess up the finish Thanks in advance

Ron  

1 hour ago, N3WWN said:

You didn't mention what you soaked it in...

I soak mine in Kroil and it really helps.  After an overnight soak, I use a brass punch to remove the bulk of the build up and it breaks away from the metal.  I then use a needle file to gently clean the rest out.

Wipe out bore cleaner not the foam 

iF AND WHEN i GET ANY I SHOOT SOME WEAPON SHIELD SOLVENT IN IT AND LET IT IN OVER NIGHT OR THE NEXT TIME I GET TO THE RANGE AND "SHOOT IT OUT"

I'm getting it slow but sure man its thick Thanks for all the help

Ron  

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, MRBerg said:

I take it you plug the bore before blasting to keep it out do you tape off the outside so you don't mess up the finish Thanks in advance

Ron  

Yes, I use a foam ear plug and plug the end of the barrel.  Then I slide a rubber glove over the barrel, tape it and hot glue it in the corner where the the barrel meets the comp. Seals everything off except the comp.  

Edited by echotango

I soak the comp insides with Kroll and shoot it out the next day. Every so often when I take the gun down for a through cleaning I will scrap the nooks and crannies out with a small pick,,,

got her all cleaned up bead blasted it looks brand new it was over an 1/8" thick in bottom Thanks for all the help and tips this is my first 2011 I haven't even got to shoot it yet 

Ron 

1 hour ago, MRBerg said:

got her all cleaned up bead blasted it looks brand new it was over an 1/8" thick in bottom Thanks for all the help and tips this is my first 2011 I haven't even got to shoot it yet 

Ron 

👍

Some good tips in here. I just usually use a scraper and a small mallet if needed. 

5f6f6bd52c6b15b48d7ef8e0574b0d7f.jpg

Dremel engraving tool with a long/sharp chisel shaped tip. Works like a tiny jackhammer. Best way I’ve ever found.

Once you get it clean, I've been told to use welding splatter spray. Prevents the build up. I've not seen a heavy buildup yet but plan on doing a heavy inspection and cleaning of all my guns in a couple weeks after the season ends. 

17 hours ago, B_Seehawer said:

5f6f6bd52c6b15b48d7ef8e0574b0d7f.jpg

Deemed engraving tool with a long/sharp chisel shaped tip. Works like a tiny jackhammer. Best way I’ve ever found.

Do you have a part number for the tip or can you link amazon or another place to buy? Thanks!

A shaped up 6D or #11 will work. Your best bet is to find literally any .125” diameter chunk of steel to use, mine is a little over 2” long. An old drill bit would be perfect.

No method of soaking or spraying can even compare to this for the time it saves.

34 minutes ago, B_Seehawer said:

A shaped up 6D or #11 will work. Your best bet is to find literally any .125” diameter chunk of steel to use, mine is a little over 2” long. An old drill bit would be perfect.

No method of soaking or spraying can even compare to this for the time it saves.

I wonder how a paint can opener would work? Rounded edges even. 

I wonder how a paint can opener would work? Rounded edges even. 

Well.

No

Tried the glass bead blaster on a very caked up brake mount for a suppressor on my DMR and it worked like a charm.  +1 to glass bead blasting.