Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Intheshaw1

Dillon press purchase progression

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

loading 9mm and 223 isnt worth my time.

When I got started 30 years ago, I used factory 9mm and it worked

just fine - and .223 is pretty cheap right now.    :) 

9mm my cost .11 vs .155  $45/1000

223 my cost  .22 vs .26  $40/1000

Your right it is cheap but i love loading plus i get a tailored round

8 hours ago, 2tuf4u said:

Where is the serial # stamped on the RL 1050 ?

Next time I talk to him I'll ask.

Maybe it was part of his purchase records with Dillon.

4 hours ago, m700 said:

9mm my cost .11 vs .155  $45/1000

223 my cost  .22 vs .26  $40/1000

That's why I'm asking about the 1050 is even with the lower price of factory I can still save 45-50 an hour if I'm loading 1000 an hour.

And if I jump into limited and start running a 40, the savings will be even more.

That's been my biggest argument against reloading is factory ammo has been so cheap lately. I've been stocking up during all the winter rebates for summer shooting. I'll do it again this year if I don't have a press ready in time.

And I also like running 124s when I can and I don't see those go as cheap as often as the 115s.

i appreciate everyone's input, I'm still torn on what press to get and I think it might come down to asking around locally if someone is looking to offload one. Would be nice to have a 550 for the small batch stuff like my 380 that's just a pain to find decent prices ammo for.

My mind changes every day on this. Get a 550 and basics and subsidize with purchased ammo if you have to. I would say upgrade to strong mount only save money then next season get 1050. Comparing loaded 650 to 1050 is only a small difference in price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

What state are you in?

I started with a dillon 450, and then moved to a hornady LNL and now 1050. I still have the 450 and plan on using it to pull bullets or load limited rounds. Honestly if you understand what is going on at each station then a 1050 really isn't that huge of a stretch. Just because you can have all the stations doing something doesn't mean you have to have a piece of brass at that station. Just load 1 brass and not add another until the cartridge is complete. Then slowly add components to the rude goldberg machine. Then add two pieces of brass, etc. At some point you'll have the case feeder going and now you're running at full production.

The danger in learning on a progressive is the danger of so many things happening at once. Once you are able to isolate each station and begin to trust what's going on then it becomes safer and simpler. In addition if you run the 1050 stock with the ratcheting lock you'll actually significantly reduce the possibility of screwing something up. Sure most people take it off, but it does add another measure of safety. 

The only other major consideration on starting on a progressive would be the cost. If it isn't something you're going to be doing for a while then the cost of entry for a progressive will always be higher than a single stage or turret. 

1 hour ago, m700 said:

Comparing loaded 650 to 1050 is only a small difference in price.

This is the reason why I was looking to jump to a 1050 right away as the price difference isn't that huge.

1 hour ago, m700 said:

What state are you in?

I'm on Wisconsin, I've talked with some guys at my local gun club but haven't run into anyone with a 1050.

I'm keeping my eyes out on any deals as I'm not one to rush into something without over researching it.

ammo wont stay low, probably lowest it has ever beem, VS reloading supplies.
Can either buy 20 years of loaded ammo or stock up on components.
Back in 2008 before I retired I did several shipments of 70lbs of primers., and 70lbs of powder,  most you could put on 1 hazmat fee. Ammo was sky high,, but now I am just saving my components for a rainy day and buying bulk loaded 9, and 300 blk

On the 1050 series of machines, if you are a new loader, simply start by dropping one case into the case feed funnel, and run that case around the machine, and when the loaded cartridge ejects, drop another case into the funnel and repeat. Study what goes on at each station, and before long you'll understand the process well enough to load progressively.  You are performing the same steps to reload a cartridge, whether you are loading on a single stage or a high-speed progressive. You'll learn whys and whens about reloading on a progressive loader just as well as on a slower loader. Then, load fast, shoot more.

Y'all got me thinking about selling my 650 and buying a 1050.  I've got a local shooter with a practically new 1050 for $1300.  Not sure what I could expect to get for a used 650 with a casefeeder......

Id say say you could do 700, more depending on what you have with it.

21 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

1050 for $1300.  Not sure what I could expect to get for a used 650 with a casefeeder......

Probably just a few hundred dollars apart - $800 or $900 ?

3 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Y'all got me thinking about selling my 650 and buying a 1050.  I've got a local shooter with a practically new 1050 for $1300.  Not sure what I could expect to get for a used 650 with a casefeeder......

Dillon's on the used market generally bring in 80% of new, anything under that is generally considered a really good deal. 

Edited by ultimase

2 hours ago, ultimase said:

Dillon's on the used market generally bring in 80% of new, anything under that is generally considered a really good deal. 

Thanks for the information!!

30yrs ago I started on a single stage RCBS Rockchucker II, bolted to a chunk of plywood I C clamped to my dorm room desk.   (Try that these days in a dorm!)  I punched out a ton of 9mm at 18yrs old.     I dreamed of a 550 and the girl next to it in the catalog...

The 550B came shortly after first real job post college.  This press did everything for the next 24 yrs.   Minimal issues and just worked making great rounds, and still does. 

The first 1050 came on line about two yrs ago.  With three teenage boys we shoot allot. 

The second 1050 came on line about a yr ago as a large primer system but mainly for processing military 5.56 into 300BLK, why the other 1050 was cranking out 300BLK. 

I have always kept my 550B.  I now use it for all my precision bolt gun rifle loads and working up new pistol loads like suppressed rounds etc. 

@Intheshaw1 #1 thing is to make a local friend that reloads.   Go see how the process is done.   Single stage, multi, progressive whatever but just be part of the process.   Ya cool if its someone rocking a 1050, I am in Oregon a ways from WI, but hey if you have the airline miles come on out.    Then take it from there for what gear get!   

4 minutes ago, helocat said:

@Intheshaw1 #1 thing is to make a local friend that reloads.   Go see how the process is done.   Single stage, multi, progressive whatever but just be part of the process.   Ya cool if its someone rocking a 1050, I am in Oregon a ways from WI, but hey if you have the airline miles come on out.    Then take it from there for what gear get!   

That's the plan as of now, but most of them are running cheaper setups that I know so finding someone with a 1050 has been a little challenging.

Right now I'm just keeping my eye out on any deals and will jump on a 550 or a 1050 if it comes up. I'd rather just skip the 650 as I don't see the price difference as that significant.

I do like the idea of having both for odd stuff like my 380 or a 45 if I ever get one.

11 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

If you don't buy it, let me know if he will ship it haha

I loaded on a 550b for 20 years. It is a great machine. I had all the bells and whistles including a case feeder. I was just shooting more ammo than I could easily produce.

I purchased a used 1050, so I never had a warranty. I'm happy that purchased it. The lack of a warranty isn't a concern to me.

My advice is to purchase a 1050. Learn how to operate it, and get it running smoothly. Then automate in the future, if you want to load ammo more easily. IMO, the Ammobot is the best reloading 1050 automation tool on the market.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Well y'all cost me $$.  Sold my 650 for $700 and I'm buying the 1050 for $1300.  I'm looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about........

34 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Well y'all cost me $$.  Sold my 650 for $700 and I'm buying the 1050 for $1300.  I'm looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about........

Nothing about this forum is cheap. Everytime I turn around I seem to be spending at least 200 bucks on something....

On 8/30/2019 at 7:44 PM, dillon said:

On the 1050 series of machines, if you are a new loader, simply start by dropping one case into the case feed funnel, and run that case around the machine, and when the loaded cartridge ejects, drop another case into the funnel and repeat. Study what goes on at each station, and before long you'll understand the process well enough to load progressively.  You are performing the same steps to reload a cartridge, whether you are loading on a single stage or a high-speed progressive. You'll learn whys and whens about reloading on a progressive loader just as well as on a slower loader. Then, load fast, shoot more.

Excellent advice thanks for sharing this for the new reloaders. I wish I took this advice when I made my first press purchase.

On 9/5/2019 at 7:31 PM, RangerTrace said:

What all came with the 650 you sold Trace? I'm contemplating upgrading to a 1050 but need to determine a price for my 650 & accessories.

If say if you don't have a ton of sounds in 650 and depending what accessories you have it may not be worth it. I spent close to 2k for a loaded 650 with 3 conversations Mr bulletfeeder etc if prolly get 1200 for it then need to spend 3k to get back to where I am now. If have a better puts though. I should have just got the 1050 in the first place

If I had 40k through it I could justify the loss. Maybe in a couple years

On 9/12/2019 at 4:43 PM, titandriver said:

What all came with the 650 you sold Trace? I'm contemplating upgrading to a 1050 but need to determine a price for my 650 & accessories.

the press, case feeder, two quick change calibers, strong mount, bullet tray......powder check, carbide dies with Lee U-dies for 40 and 9mm.  I probably let it go too low, but I saw someone on here sell their's with a bullet feeder for around $750......