Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr Bulletfeeder and setting 223 bullets

Just went through the process for the first time of converting my 650 from 9mm to 223. Bought the caliber conversion for the Mr Bullet feeder and started running my first batches of test loads. So far so good except for a couple bullet loading issues.

Collator does not shut off when feed tube is full. The stop switch is not recognizing the bullets in the tube and the collator keeps running and will start filling the feed spring unless I manually shut off. I did a couple test and can manually move the the contact tab out to stop the collator but let go and it starts again even with a full tube. The 55gr 223 Doesn't seem to be pushing the contact tab out enough to trip the contact and shut off. Don't want to try and bend the tab without know exactly what I'm doing.

Bullets falling off the case mouth. Using a dedicated tool head for 223 with the Dillon carbide three piece die set. When MBF drops the bullet into the prepped case is will fall off when I rotate the plate even when rotated slowly. I have to pinch the bullet and case before I rotate and continue until just as the bullet goes into the seating die.I use the MBF powder funnel for 9mm, it's the standard funnel with the 223. Am I missing something? Case mouth sizing?

Any help?

What bullets are you using?  Maybe boattails could help your issue with bullets falling. Another possibility is to keep a finger on the plate, Ive been doing this to stop opwder from popping out when the detent ball finds its home. I just ordered the DAA broom that supposedly stops this popping motion of the case in station 3&4. I unfortunately dont have a mr bulletfeeder yet so im not sure what to say about the over feeding. Did the conversion include a narrower spring?

Are you using the small output tube assembly? The 9mm Mr Bulletfeeder comes with the large one, and this component is not included with the 223 conversion kit.

On the bullets, be sure you are using a boat-tail bullet.

Regarding bullet: Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT w/c so yes, boat tail.

Separate tool head with just the Dillon carbide sizing, decaping die in station one, rest are empty. Just bought a Lyman vibratory cleaner with corncob and Dillon polish and experimenting with using this to clean lube after sizing. Have been doing wet tumble after sizing and finishing with another tumble with Armoral Wash-n-Wax.Havne't made up my mind on the dry tumble yet. PIA

2nd tool head:

Station 1: Empty

Station 2: Powder charge for 223 with funnel that came with it.

Station 3: MBF for 556 / 223. Yes, came with the small spring and dropper tube, conversion plate.

Station 4:  Dillon seating die

Station 5: Dillon crimp die

1 hour ago, dillon said:

Are you using the small output tube assembly? The 9mm Mr Bulletfeeder comes with the large one, and this component is not included with the 223 conversion kit.

On the bullets, be sure you are using a boat-tail bullet.

If by output tube assembly you mean the tube that connect to the collator, small spring and connector for the top of the dropper assembly than yes. Is there a different powder funnel for 223? I understood there was not, just the original Dillon.

Edited by DIYguy

1 hour ago, DIYguy said:

Regarding bullet: Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT w/c so yes, boat tail.

Separate tool head with just the Dillon carbide sizing, decaping die in station one, rest are empty. Just bought a Lyman vibratory cleaner with corncob and Dillon polish and experimenting with using this to clean lube after sizing. Have been doing wet tumble after sizing and finishing with another tumble with Armoral Wash-n-Wax.Havne't made up my mind on the dry tumble yet. PIA

2nd tool head:

Station 1: Empty

Station 2: Powder charge for 223 with funnel that came with it.

Station 3: MBF for 556 / 223. Yes, came with the small spring and dropper tube, conversion plate.

Station 4:  Dillon seating die

Station 5: Dillon crimp die

If by output tube assembly you mean the tube that connect to the collator, small spring and connector for the top of the dropper assembly than yes. Is there a different powder funnel for 223? I understood there was not, just the original Dillon.

you need the M die for station 1

Question regarding the M die.

I have approximately 10# to 12# of PMC 223 brass that has been wet tumbled- sized and decapped - wet tumbled again and finished with final tumble and wax. Brass is shinny and ready to load. If I set up an M die in my loading tool head does it just size the neck or will I need to lube the case to run it through the die?

Update:

Lyman M-die installed in station #1 and ran (130) rounds of test loads through the press. After couple tweaks running fine, bullets seating properly.

Contacted Josh at DoubleAlpha about the switch issue and was hesitant to "adjust" the switch contact without checking with them first. Response was to bend the contact and make it fit. Two pairs of jewelers needle nose pliers and some testing and now back installed and workings as intended.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Been working on load ladders with couple different powders, usually load (30) rounds of each powder and weight.  Loaded close to (500) rounds so far. Have been having full time ongoing issues with the bullet dropper and the 55g Hornady FMJ-BTHP bullets. More times than not, the dropper sticks in the up position and doesn't drop a bullet. stick finger in the end of the dropper to dislodge the end and it drops several bullets. I have taken the whole dropper assembly off and apart several times, cleaned, lubed with silicon spray, wiped, adjusted, readjusted, readjusted and it still frequently sticks in the up position.

Anyone else have this issue and have a solution?

3 hours ago, DIYguy said:

Update:

Been working on load ladders with couple different powders, usually load (30) rounds of each powder and weight.  Loaded close to (500) rounds so far. Have been having full time ongoing issues with the bullet dropper and the 55g Hornady FMJ-BTHP bullets. More times than not, the dropper sticks in the up position and doesn't drop a bullet. stick finger in the end of the dropper to dislodge the end and it drops several bullets. I have taken the whole dropper assembly off and apart several times, cleaned, lubed with silicon spray, wiped, adjusted, readjusted, readjusted and it still frequently sticks in the up position.

Anyone else have this issue and have a solution?

you need to either adjust the ball bearings or you need to add a spring to the MRBF die.

I thought about something similar or adding more weight to the dropper but when it's stuck in the up position I can't even push it down. Have to stick finger in the end to release the bullets.

I tried to adjust the balls but seems the unit doesn't come apart to that level like the mini for 9mm does. Also sort of looks like one ball is stuck and I've tried to manually free it, hence the cleanings and lubes.

Update and solution

Went back and watched the MBF video about dropper assembly and then went back and disassembled mine. Discovered the balls were in the lower set of holes, the cotter pin was on the upper grove. After cleaning and reassembly and adjustment, so far so good, been working fine.

2 hours ago, DIYguy said:

Update and solution

Went back and watched the MBF video about dropper assembly and then went back and disassembled mine. Discovered the balls were in the lower set of holes, the cotter pin was on the upper grove. After cleaning and reassembly and adjustment, so far so good, been working fine.

Proper setup is good