Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where on the rail do you mount your Red Dot on Ruger PCC

Just got a Ruger PC9 Carbine, put a Holosun 503GU Green on it about mid rail. Ran it for Steel Challenge where it worked well. Then ran a rifle/PCC match where the Holosun suddenly jumped to the lowest setting in the middle of a stage, just as if it were turned off by an invisible hand. The base it came with precluded using the iron sights as a fail safe. So I took that Holosun off the PC9 and moved a Trijicon MRO on which has a see through base. As I was mounting it, didn’t really know if it should go forward on the rail, mid rail or rearward. Is there a single best way to position the dot sight? Or is it a personal preference thing?  I am familiar with eye relief determining the position of magnified optics, but didn’t know the thoughts behind the dot sight positioning. Thanks in advance for your opinions and recommendations. 

PS: I really liked how the Ruger performed in both matches, look forward to getting the optic mounted and zeroed and back to competition. 

Sorry my original question was not specific enough.

I have the Ruger model 19117 with M-lok forend and a 16 slot length of Picatinny rail factory mounted to the receiver. So that was the rail referred to in my original question.

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/specSheets/19117.html

From these preceding recommendations to mount the red dot at the rear sight location I presume you’d use the front end of the rail as almost as far forward.

My red dot already took a dump on me once in the middle of a stage of a match leading to horrific failure to neutralize penalties, so I changed to one with a see through base which allows using the irons for back up. I still seek advice or opinions on it’s location on the factory rail.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

For rifles used for Steel Challenge I mount the sight at the front of the rail.  You get a narrower field of view through the sight and center the target more easily.  Then use Max Michel's advice:  if you see white, pull the trigger. For USPSA I would mount in the middle.  For hunting- at the rear.

Using an eotech, this is my experience:

If you shoot both eyes open, the further back the sight is, the more space you have for your dot to exist. This is because the viewing area is larger. You can see the dot sooner when mounting the gun, and an easier time tracking it in your peripherals during transitions. The "downside" is you have more space that neither eye can see from your barrel/handguard/sight housing blocking your field of view. This is below your sightline though, so it's up to you whether you care about that.

Moving the optic forward reduces how much of your handguard/barrel/sight blocks your vision, at the cost of having less space for your dot to exist in your field of view.

Unless you have something going on like your charging handle hand slamming your optic mount, or your glass is getting smoked, shoot both eyes open and mount it as far back as you can without it hitting your face.

If you shoot 1 eye open, mount it as far forward as you can, because the optic housing blocks more field of view the closer it is to your eye, now that you don't have your other eye granting you vision past it.

21 hours ago, Hihellosup said:

Using an eotech, this is my experience:

If you shoot both eyes open, the further back the sight is, the more space you have for your dot to exist. This is because the viewing area is larger. You can see the dot sooner when mounting the gun, and an easier time tracking it in your peripherals during transitions. The "downside" is you have more space that neither eye can see from your barrel/handguard/sight housing blocking your field of view. This is below your sightline though, so it's up to you whether you care about that.

Moving the optic forward reduces how much of your handguard/barrel/sight blocks your vision, at the cost of having less space for your dot to exist in your field of view.

Unless you have something going on like your charging handle hand slamming your optic mount, or your glass is getting smoked, shoot both eyes open and mount it as far back as you can without it hitting your face.

If you shoot 1 eye open, mount it as far forward as you can, because the optic housing blocks more field of view the closer it is to your eye, now that you don't have your other eye granting you vision past it.

Thank you. That was very helpful. My background was rifle with scope at 100 yards, typically with only dominant eye open. Since I took up USPSA with pistol and now PCC I have tried to sue both eyes open, but often find myself reverting to dominant eye only. It is hard to develop new habits. 

33 minutes ago, Paul49 said:

Thank you. That was very helpful. My background was rifle with scope at 100 yards, typically with only dominant eye open. Since I took up USPSA with pistol and now PCC I have tried to sue both eyes open, but often find myself reverting to dominant eye only. It is hard to develop new habits. 

I have an eye dominance/focusing issue in my right eye - it's like my right eye is constantly focusing in and out the way a camera auto focuses if I keep both eyes open and try to align iron sights/reticles. Basically makes it impossible to focus on precise shots with both eyes open, so I close my left eye when I shoot magnified optics as well.

However, I shoot red dot stuff both eyes open 99% of the time, and close my left eye for difficult shots. The target starts doubling for me otherwise!

It's true though, it took me a while to stop closing my left eye all the time. I keep my optic all the way back.

Edited by Hihellosup
  • 5 weeks later...
I removed the rear sight from the barrel , and mounted a red dot there.

I did this too, and like it.
If I had your hand rail, I’d still remove the iron sights and mount the dot just forward of where the rear sight is.

But, I shoot with only one eye open so I prefer the dot further forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can get used to keeping both eyes open, I’d say mid way up the rail is probably best because it’ll be more generous on head placement...

That said, with the MRO specifically, I’ve found they work best back towards your eye more so than other dots, let’s you take more advantage of the larger objective lens (especially if you tend to revert to closing an eye) and seems to mitigate some of the slight magnification the MRO’s tend to have.