Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA matches near Austin, TX

Hi,

As I am putting my plans together for an upcoming move to Volente, TX (35 miles NE of Austin) I am looking to see if there are ongoing regular USPSA matches within a 75 minute drive. Any information will be appreciated (Practiscore was no help).

APSC puts on probably the best monthly match in the state. Uncle @shred will probably be by shortly for more info on a couple other locations. 

Brazosland Pistoleros is going to be outside of your range but something to keep in mind when you really need a fix before a major or after the spring rains. 

KR Training runs a summer league under Chicken Ranch

By the way, search under Clubs in Practiscore. All the links above are from the Clubs page. 

I just moved from FT Hood to Washington state. Temple Gun Club shoots USPSA every 3rd Saturday. 

Not USPSA but Copperas Cove pistol club puts on outstanding matches. They shoot every Saturday except the 3rd. 

2nd Saturday was my favorite. Falling Steel match kinda Pro Am style. They don't use Practiscore at Cove. 

Also there is an email list that lots of clubs use to announce matches, people sell stuff etc. txipsc@txipsc.net

Tons of shooting in that area enjoy.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:15 AM, pfcchambers said:

I just moved from FT Hood to Washington state. Temple Gun Club shoots USPSA every 3rd Saturday. 

Not USPSA but Copperas Cove pistol club puts on outstanding matches. They shoot every Saturday except the 3rd. 

2nd Saturday was my favorite. Falling Steel match kinda Pro Am style. They don't use Practiscore at Cove. 

Also there is an email list that lots of clubs use to announce matches, people sell stuff etc. txipsc@txipsc.net

Tons of shooting in that area enjoy.

Agreed, while I was at Hood, Copperas Cove put on some really fun matches but for USPSA and Steel Challenge APSC does an excellent job

Edited by cjmill87

7 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Yep, Austin on 1st and 3rd Saturday is a great choice!

Austin is like the mecca of action shooting. You can catch an USPSA, IDPA, or some type of steel match  seemingly every Saturday and Sunday.

The third Saturday run is kind of new. The first Saturday match registration usually is full by early in the week.  If you show up they usually can fit a person though.  The third Saturday one may be less crowded.

They also do an end of month Steel Challenge that is fun, and lets out about 12.30. The same range runs steel challenge matches on Tuesday nights during the summer, for those who like to experience the joys of heat exhaustion...😉

Look up APSC on practiscore.

If this isn't enough for you Alpha Mike runs USPSA matches. They are between San Antonio and Austin.

Also noted were Copperas Cove Matches (which are well liked fyi), Temple and a metric buttload of IDPA matches (CAPS and Texas Tactical). 

As an aside plan out to routes from Volente.  When it floods in Austin it seriously floods and Travis is a flood control lake.

Ranges: Eagle Peak, Shady Oaks, Austin Rifle Rifle club, Reds (meh).  Best of the West is rumored to be by by.

Edited by Zincwarrior

www.txipsc.net has a link to a Google Map of ranges with matches in Texas.  It's not 100% up to date but not bad and shows where the ranges are as well as what clubs shoot what where.  Then you can also sign up for my TXIPSC e-mail list where many match announcements up and down the I-35 corridor are posted.  From Volente, you're close to a couple ranges (Eagle Peak --  strictly slow-fire) and Copperhead Creek is further down 1431), although most of the matches are a bit of a drive.

Thanks for the info. I just signed up for the TXIPSC e-mail list. Match drives are not an issue as matches here in Southern CA are over and hour and more each way for me.

Same for my practice range (76 miles each way). Though at Volente at least for personal practice I won't have to drive as I will have this dropped on the property. Meeting with them on the 11th of this month at their Vegas factory to discuss options etc... Gives me a 10 yard indoor range.