Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnets.

Fuzz

So I have an upcoming match that has 5-6 stages with ammo on barrel starts. Unless they change the wording before the match I was planning on picking up the second mag and stick on a magnet. Is this recommended ? Has anyone done this? what should I be careful of?  Anything else I am missing?

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Yes, it's highly recommended as long as you are in a division where they are legal. Starts like that are the only reason I have a magnet on my Open rig.

They ever fall off? Any thing I should be careful of?

6 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

If you buy the right magnet, you may have trouble getting the magazine off of it. Your magazines will not fall off.

Be careful walking near ferrous metals with no mag stuck to the magnet. I have a small folding chair, made from tube steel...sitting in it with the magnet, you have to hold the chair down when you stand up.

8 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Not sure if you mean magnet or mags. My magnet hasn't even come loose. I drilled and tapped my front pouch and screwed it on using blue loctite. Mags won't fall off either. You basically can't pull a mag off without sliding it off.

Edited by Sarge

37 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Don't place your unload and show clear mag on the magnet until the score keeper has recorded the time. Sometimes timers are set too sensitive and if the mag slaps onto the magnet it might register as a shot.

This is something I am working on and have found out a couple of things.

Positioning; I like to position two mags close together in a "stepped" manner, right one (closest to the gun) about an inch and a half further away. This is the one that goes on the magnet. I pick up both mags simultaneously, my body positioned so that my hand moves straight back, right onto the magnet. The mag should be there by the time I get my gun up, at which point the other mag is on the way to the magwell. 

The problem for me is if I miss the magnet. A few times in dryfire the mag has stuck to the edge, which is far less stable.

I have DAA magnet and that thing is strong - magazine certainly won't fall off and it's even very hard to pick a magazine and try to lift it up directly. Instead, slide it off of the magnet the way you would pull it out of a pouch. 

When we have stages where I have to pick up magazines, if it's only one magazine it goes straight on the magnet using the same motion I'd use for reloading. This way the angle is correct and natural. If there are two, I stagger them with the left one protruding more, so when I slap them on the magnet the outside one is the one I reach first. If it's more than two, all bets are off... 

On 8/26/2019 at 8:13 PM, belus said:

Don't place your unload and show clear mag on the magnet until the score keeper has recorded the time. Sometimes timers are set too sensitive and if the mag slaps onto the magnet it might register as a shot.

Good point. No wonder my times are so slow. . . . .

• 3 weeks later...

I use a DAA magnet and it works damn good. I typically snap a second mag to it in a stage where mags start from barrels, saves time and they aren’t falling off unless you get it on the very edge and are moving really aggressively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...