Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying a PCC and would like input

I finally jumping into the PCC pool without knowing how to swim. Buying a used gun that runs with 124 gr 9 mm factory loads. Looking for a little advice such as spare parts, parts that I might want to upgrade or try out, things likely to break.

It uses Colt mags and has a Spinta bolt, Spike's heavy buffer and Taccom ULW barrel which is basically a 5.5" pistol barrel with a shroud to make it 16". I was told that they do not recommend polymer coated or lead bullets due to accumulation in the shroud.

Thanks for your input.

CenTX

Hello: I would change out the buffer setup to something lighter. If your bolt does not have a weight installed I would go the JP route that uses just the 4 weights. Since you have the short barrel setup you should be close to pistol power factor with factory loads. If you reload I would load up some 124's to 131PF and tune the buffer. Thanks, Eric

9 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I would change out the buffer setup to something lighter. If your bolt does not have a weight installed I would go the JP route that uses just the 4 weights. Since you have the short barrel setup you should be close to pistol power factor with factory loads. If you reload I would load up some 124's to 131PF and tune the buffer. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for the quick reply. I use 147's in my pistols and it would be nice to use the same bullet for both. Is the heavy buffer appropriate for 147 bullets?

I would give you the same general advice I give anyone about changing things on a gun. Don't worry about buying new things or changing things until you get it and shoot it as is for a while. Then you'll know how it shoots and what you like or dislike about it. Once you know this then you'll know what you want to change and shop for.

31 minutes ago, jualdeaux said:

I would give you the same general advice I give anyone about changing things on a gun. Don't worry about buying new things or changing things until you get it and shoot it as is for a while. Then you'll know how it shoots and what you like or dislike about it. Once you know this then you'll know what you want to change and shop for.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, good advice. I have never even fired a PCC, my thought process is the input will help me understand the functions, nuances and things to look for. I'll likely put 600 to 800 through it in the next 30 days. Thanks for the input.

1 hour ago, Acer2428 said:

^ This man speaks the truth. 

I just threw an extra bolt in my bag when I shot an AR9... needed it. 

then you've got firing pin aaannndd extractor covered! and no tools needed! smart. now I know where my spare bolt is going.

Got the gun, put a C-more on it I had from my days in Open, and headed to the range. The gun is a little rough as far as looks, but seems to run well. It came with with six mags, I used three that felt like the strongest springs and put 350 rounds through it. It is fast, accurate and fun. The 25 yard 8" plate rack is a piece of cake. I plan to shoot my first match with it Friday.

Thanks everyone for input.

19 hours ago, jualdeaux said:

I seem to recall hearing about some pro who keeps a spare bolt on their person during the match. If something breaks on a stage they can just quickly replace the bolt and continue. 

That is/was Max. Not sure if he still does it, but he had a kydex holster for it on his belt. It would help to keep from zero'ing a stage if you practiced the replacement procedure. For local matches I was g2g zero'ing but not losing the whole day. Just go to the safe area, pop it in and continue.

I broke a firing pin on the very last stage of the IA sectional last year after having a pretty decent run at it.... It was a huge points stage (the one with doors). Was painful... I now shoot an MPX. 

Edited by Acer2428

Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll build or buy a backup gun. That should cover the parts issue.

I'll likely go with a standard barrel, rather than another ULW, to get a comparison.

The ULW is really fast when I am standing still. Shot a match with lots of movement and I sucked, I tend to move too fast when shooting, I need to really practice shooting on the move.