Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr Bullet Feeder Die Issue - SOLVED

IVC

I'm having a strange problem with MBF, where the adjustment goes from "not dropping a bullet" to "dropping two bullets" very quickly and keeps switching back and forth based on the random brass (range mix). I have taken the die out, cleaned it and degreased it, reassembled it and it's still the same. The setup is 1050, loading 9mm 147 round nose Blue Bullets. I have two other toolheads, for .40 and 38 SC. The only one that is quite reliable is feeding 180 MG CMJ in .40. The 38 SC will also on occasion act up, but not nearly the way 9mm does. 

The only way I can get it to work is if I put my left hand on the moving part of the die assembly and put some pressure down as I cycle the press. If I do it that way, it works flawlessly. It's almost as if the assembly should be spring-loaded and not based on weight alone. As I look at the stack of bullets in the tube, I can see that bullet sometimes releases as the toolhead starts going up (die too high), so I adjust it down until it releases at the bottom of the stroke. However, on the way up, sometimes the small ball bearings simply don't prevent the second bullet from dropping, which is where my additional pressure on the assembly kicks in and makes all the difference. Very frustrating. 

Has anyone else run into this issue and/or used some home made spring-loaded setup to make the dropping reliable? Is there anything I should look into or anything I'm likely doing wrong? 

Thanks guys! 

I went to Home Depot, got assorted small springs (a few bucks) and ended up using a spare Forster nut that not only allows me to adjust the position of the bottom of the spring, but has a perfect design where the retaining screw goes through the loop at the end of the spring. This way, both ends of the spring are securely held in place, while I can still adjust the tension on the spring. 

MBFdie.thumb.jpg.a2ccc37221faaf2ec407b514c1c202e4.jpg

At the bottom is the standard Dillon nut which holds the die at the correct depth. Atop of it and not making contact is the Forster nut that is adjusted for tension, then slightly rotated such that it is in the correct position under the pin, then lightly tightened so that it doesn't rotate. It not only keeps the spring in place, but it also prevents the MBF pin from rotating and making contact with the powder dispenser. A win-win. 

I have quickly loaded around 150 rounds (whatever was left in the primer magazine and one full refill) without a single malfunction. This setup went from nightmare to a dream in one Home Depot trip. Super happy. 

had teh same problwm when we were setting up a freinds 1050.  We found out that the issue was we had no slack in the coil where the bullets go through. there has to be free movement up and down with no lateral pressure or the bullet die will bind.  We originally have the feeder at the 9 oclock position and move it to the 12 oclock.   this gave slack and fixed it.

10 hours ago, Sandbagger123 said:

had teh same problwm when we were setting up a freinds 1050.  We found out that the issue was we had no slack in the coil where the bullets go through. there has to be free movement up and down with no lateral pressure or the bullet die will bind.  We originally have the feeder at the 9 oclock position and move it to the 12 oclock.   this gave slack and fixed it.

I thought about it initially too and had moved the position of the MBF collator around to straighten the setup, but it didn't help. At least not enough to get to the point where it was sufficiently reliable to run more than half a dozen cycles without issues. As I kept catching the second dropped bullet when I saw the column drop more than it should, I realized that I could try to use my hand to manually run the die insert, then I noticed that if I just rest the weight of my hand on the die stem it seems to be working. That's how I figured it's a good idea to ask here about anyone using springs, which turned out to be the solution. 

10 hours ago, 2tuf4u said:

Great solution IVC --how much cheaper than Armanov? 

I didn't even know about all those solutions out there - I was just frustrated that my dropper wasn't working and almost by chance figured that the passive extra weight of my hand was all that was required to make it work. I was using my hand to fidget with the assembly and used the downward force to try to retain the second bullet from dropping when I realized I didn't need any finesse, just the downward force. Looking back it all makes sense, of course, it was just that I figured it out before I had to sit down and think. Sort of "monkey do" solution. 

If you look at the thread, the first few responses were from guys who not only had the same problem, but had their own solutions. That's where the credit goes... :)

EDIT: I have just searched for Armanov and this is indeed much cheaper - just a few bucks, even less if you have the spare parts lying around. 

Edited by IVC

3 hours ago, cool said:

Thank IVC

completed job 10 minutes ago

It looks like you drilled and tapped a small post (?). I just put it through the crack in the ring and put the retaining screw through the loop - looked easier and faster. 

Fair point. I didn't mind because there is no side pressure on the spring loop - the ring is larger than the die and even when fully tight there is a wide enough gap. My spring can move freely around the screw even though the ring is tight(ish) on the die. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2019 at 7:34 PM, IVC said:

Thanks guys! 

I went to Home Depot, got assorted small springs (a few bucks) and ended up using a spare Forster nut that not only allows me to adjust the position of the bottom of the spring, but has a perfect design where the retaining screw goes through the loop at the end of the spring. This way, both ends of the spring are securely held in place, while I can still adjust the tension on the spring. 

MBFdie.thumb.jpg.a2ccc37221faaf2ec407b514c1c202e4.jpg

At the bottom is the standard Dillon nut which holds the die at the correct depth. Atop of it and not making contact is the Forster nut that is adjusted for tension, then slightly rotated such that it is in the correct position under the pin, then lightly tightened so that it doesn't rotate. It not only keeps the spring in place, but it also prevents the MBF pin from rotating and making contact with the powder dispenser. A win-win. 

I have quickly loaded around 150 rounds (whatever was left in the primer magazine and one full refill) without a single malfunction. This setup went from nightmare to a dream in one Home Depot trip. Super happy. 

Another boring picture of a spring and collar - I used a hornady locking die since I had a few on hand and don't use them for anything..  Works great, no more ghetto rubberband lol... thanks for the tip!  DAA should incorporate something like this from the factory.

TgHLhjWl.jpg

Edited by 78Staff

Armanov also has a kit for this

https://usa-shop.armanov.com/product/mr-bullet-feeder-dropper-assembly-solution-no-consistent-seating-problem/

Ive noticed it starts to happen when the bullet feeder(through the motion of itself and the case feeder) starts to move away from the drop die and puts side tension on it. If I slide the bullet feeder forward every 200 rounds it seems to prevent this

It’s not really a problem as such, it’s the issue of geometry and location of the feeding spring. Any side pressure and tube doesn’t fall completely freely, which might be enough to cause double feeds. 

Similar to running a dirty magazine, where each round is just a bit stuck by the wall, but when you add up all the force you end up with problems feeding. 

If you run into this issue, at least you know one way to fix it quickly and on the cheap. 🙂

On 11/11/2019 at 8:11 PM, IVC said:

It’s not really a problem as such, it’s the issue of geometry and location of the feeding spring. Any side pressure and tube doesn’t fall completely freely, which might be enough to cause double feeds. 

Similar to running a dirty magazine, where each round is just a bit stuck by the wall, but when you add up all the force you end up with problems feeding. 

If you run into this issue, at least you know one way to fix it quickly and on the cheap. 🙂

Yes sir.  Turns out I do have the issue as well.  

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Armanov bullet dropper fix kit yesterday and just installed it.  Apparently the supplied spring is too short or strong because it is over inserting my projectiles that were perfectly seated before.  Nothing has changed on my powder funnel.  I will have to give the springs from Lowes a try......

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

I received my Armanov bullet dropper fix kit yesterday and just installed it.  Apparently the supplied spring is too short or strong because it is over inserting my projectiles that were perfectly seated before.  Nothing has changed on my powder funnel.  I will have to give the springs from Lowes a try......

Dude, my MBF works fine without any gadgets attached. Just make double damn sure the feed spring has ZERO side tension. That is the only thing that ever gave me issues.

37 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Dude, my MBF works fine without any gadgets attached. Just make double damn sure the feed spring has ZERO side tension. That is the only thing that ever gave me issues.

I think the difference is that you load on a 650 and your shell remains in the same vertical plane.  What I'm finding with the 1050 is that is you move the BF towards the rear of the case feeder, you get enough bend in the spring tube that bullets get stuck in there.