Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
dgrdvm

Stage plan ? We don't need a stinking stage plan !

Uhh, yes. Yes I do.

Yesterdays lesson. On a 32 round, somewhat complicated course of fire, with a swinger and lots of hidden targets, I was the second shooter. Big squad, and I really did not have a good feel or a good plan after the walk through. When it was my turn,  the RO asked if I was ready, and I lied. I thought, I could just do it "live" . So off I went, and tried to do some half baked plan

It went epically wrong, not surprisingly. 3 mikes and a FTSA, and slow to boot. 

So the lesson - if I have no good plan, KISS - just move through the stage and shoot what ever is in front of me till I reach the end, and do not try anything tricky. 

I’ve been guilty of this before too. Between cleaning/loading mags, RO’ing, or messing with my gun between stages, it’s very easy to miss out on getting a good stage plan memorized during the 5-minute walkthrough. It’s especially easier to convince yourself you’ll be able to come up with a good enough plan while others are shooting before you.

Usually at a Club Match, most others won’t mind if you ask to be moved down the lineup for a stage. I’ve had to do this a couple times myself.

31 minutes ago, IPSCLUVERRR said:

When you run the match it may be hard to stage plan when you have other responsibilities going on

That’s the truth. Even designing the stages I don’t have a stage plan a very large portion of the time.  I have an idea.  But it usually can be equated to a hold my beer moment 

Something I learned a few years ago when I took a Mike Seeklander class.  He said you're not ready to shoot a stage until you can turn your back to the stage and shoot it in your mind.

Does it work? 

shooter ready.jpg

On 9/2/2019 at 6:26 PM, stick said:

Something I learned a few years ago when I took a Mike Seeklander class.  He said you're not ready to shoot a stage until you can turn your back to the stage and shoot it in your mind.

Does it work? 

shooter ready.jpg

That's really good.