Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Steel Challenge Load with HP38?

RickT

My current load is 3.0gr Sport Pistol with 124gr RN Bayou bullets.  This is a very nice load and as I'm on my last 8 lb. jug of SP I've ordered a backup.  However, I have 16 lbs. of HP38 bought 3+ years ago during the powder drought.  I'd work up a load for this, but I'm hesitant to crack open an 8 lb. jug without confidence that this powder will work on the very low end..  Anyone have data on a sub-PF load with this powder?  I'm running a 9mm 1911 with a 9 lb. variable recoil spring.  115gr bullets would produce a slightly softer load, but don't work as well in my bullet feeder.

HP38 will work on the low end but it's pretty dirty.

I used some HP38 to finish off a stock of 124gr coated bullets. They run fine with standard springs but leaves a lot of carbon behind.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I clean up a lot of soot with SP at these very soft loads, but It's very easy to remove.  At one time I used WSF with heavier bullets and I found the cleanup to be a bit more work.  Now that I live in a free state I'll try to score a pound or so of HP38 to try rather than opening one of the jugs.

I'm pretty confident you'll like it. It does clean up super easy.

My HP38 is left over from the switch to Sport Pistol. It has taken the place of HP38 in my 40major load.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, NETim1187 said:

I run 3.8 of W231 with 124 coated Acmes.  Like others have noted previously, its sooty but cleans up easily.  

I'll bank the jug of SP that's on the way and crack open the HP38.  I've still got 5+ lbs of open SP so plenty of time to work out a load for the HP38 especially with winter on the way.