Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Push through case gauge failures

igofast85

I have started push through sizing my 40 brass in an attempt to reduce my case gauge failure rate. Unfortunately it hasn't helped much. I don't understand how a case can fail case gauge if it has been push through sized. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

How do they fit in the chamber of your barrel ?  That is really the most important reason to use a push through set up.  Case gauges will usually be "tighter" than the actual chamber of the barrel.

Try just a sized (pushed thru) empty case and then try one of your loaded rounds.  That will let you determine if the case is sized properly and then determine if your loaded round has a problem.

Where on the rounds are they failing to enter the gauge?  The case mouth?  The rim?  Somewhere in between?

If you haven't yet, try coating the rounds that fail with Dykem (I use Sharpie as an alternative) and see where they stick in your chamber or what portion is contacting the case gauge .

It could be bullet profile engaging the throat/rifling of the chamber, non-concentric bullet seating causing the case to bulge a little to one side, etc.

Do the cases gauge if the round is inserted backwards?

1 hour ago, Furrly said:

Those u die have been know to be defective, or have gone bad.. A little more info about what you are loading with help with feedback as well .. Bullets, OAL, and type of gun.. 

Only die I ever had “go bad” was Dillon. U die has always been rock solid

try sizeing the empty cases in your regular die

( the ones that failed)    and re check                          

Edited by AHI

You could get another U die and use it in the press instead of the Dillon.  Also you could try the new one in your push thru setup and see if anything turns out different with the new die.  Lee dies are usually correct - dimension wise - but I'm sure a non-spec one could slip thru every once and awhile.

I believe your problem is too much bell and it isn't getting completely removed in seating and crimping.  I had the exact same problem with Dillon dies.  A Mr Bulletfeeder expander/funnel will cure that and several other problems.  It is a two step expander designed to hold the bullet vertically in the case so it doesn't tip when indexing.  A benefit is you need only a microscopic bell and the Dillon seating dies takes care of that.

I was not willing to spend the time push through sizing.  I now load on a Hornady LnL with Hornady dies.  I use the Mr Bulletfeeder expander, only seat with the Hornady seating die, and crimp with a Lee Factory Carbide Crimp Die.  With this setup, the only failures I get in the Shockbottle/Hundo are caused by a too sharp extractor dinging the rim.  I remove those, fill down the burr and the drop in fine.  The Lee die resizes the case as it crimps.