Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loads for P10F

BryceA

Another Update

I'm really digging the blue bullet 135 TC in .356". It doesn't lead at all and it's a laser out of my G17. With my P10F I'm getting what appears to be two smaller groups. I'm loading them at the limit of plunk and spin freely length for my P10F (1.135" OAL if the absolute value makes any difference) so I wonder if some bullets are getting pushed into the lands and others are free to rotate, and those are my two groups. My Glocks have longer throats so while I haven't checked it's likely all cartridges are free to rotate. Has anybody else experienced this before?

image.png.e9c4472d68658aa4af292b8dc77b4f26.png

Load it a bit shorter to account for tolerance.  If you plunk at 1.135" for some in a spot check most certainly some will not.  Your OAL will vary a few thou with mixed brass.  Not saying that's whats causing your group size but its the correct way to do things.  1.120 - 1.125" should be good. 

33 minutes ago, GMP said:

Load it a bit shorter to account for tolerance.  If you plunk at 1.135" for some in a spot check most certainly some will not.  Your OAL will vary a few thou with mixed brass.  Not saying that's whats causing your group size but its the correct way to do things.  1.120 - 1.125" should be good. 

That was my plan although now I have to order some more as I've exhausted the sample pack I had. :)

I still have ~130 loaded so I was going to sink some time into plunking and separating into 'free to spin' and 'no spin' groups and try group them separately. I'm using mixed brass, as you already inferred, so it will be interesting to see if the separation is dominated by brass brand.

There is always something new to learn about reloading. I thought this would be simple, many of the folks I shoot with act like it's nothing, but then again we're shooting IDPA/USPSA so chances are that, at least with respect to accuracy, I'm already into the diminishing returns category.

I recently got some of the new profile Precision bullets in 125 and 147. Just released a couple weeks ago.  The profile is longer and allows me to load to 1.140 formy  CZs.  The 125s shoot great.  Haven't shot the 147s yet but they solve all the problems of loading 147s in CZs and other tight guns without reaming.  The seating depth is actually less than the older style 125g loaded .010" - .015" off the lands.  Barrel is perfectly clean, zero lead. 

1 hour ago, GMP said:

I recently got some of the new profile Precision bullets in 125 and 147. Just released a couple weeks ago.

They should probably make it more clear on their website that they are new profiles, I had to watch a few youtube videos to figure out which ones were new.

What is the coating of the Precisions? I seems like it's not Hi-Tek, which is probably good as I've had a lot better luck with Blue Bullets which are also not hi-tek coated. Do they offer bulk order discounts? Before any discounts they are about the same price as everyone else but I haven't found anything about 10k+ discounts etc.

1 minute ago, BryceA said:

They should probably make it more clear on their website that they are new profiles, I had to watch a few youtube videos to figure out which ones were new.

What is the coating of the Precisions? I seems like it's not Hi-Tek, which is probably good as I've had a lot better luck with Blue Bullets which are also not hi-tek coated. Do they offer bulk order discounts? Before any discounts they are about the same price as everyone else but I haven't found anything about 10k+ discounts etc.

This is brand new stuff that replaces the old profiles in 115, 125, and 147, both in .356 (9mm) and .358  (38) .  I'm sure new pics will follow.  Actually the 147 pic is of the new profile.  The coating is their own, and contains a solid lube that appears to be moly.  This is all you wipe out of the barrel, a slight black residue.  No smoke.  The bullet is also swaged not cast.   I'm sold, like the way they load, shoot, and easy gun cleanup.  They list quantities up to 3600.  I'll by that once I test the 147s in my guns. 

48 minutes ago, GMP said:

This is brand new stuff that replaces the old profiles in 115, 125, and 147, both in .356 (9mm) and .358  (38) .  I'm sure new pics will follow.  Actually the 147 pic is of the new profile.  The coating is their own, and contains a solid lube that appears to be moly.  This is all you wipe out of the barrel, a slight black residue.  No smoke.  The bullet is also swaged not cast.   I'm sold, like the way they load, shoot, and easy gun cleanup.  They list quantities up to 3600.  I'll by that once I test the 147s in my guns. 

What size are you using? I was really surprised that the blue bullets, even in .355", are clean in my P10F which has been getting some leading with every other bullet and size. I suspect it's their coating since everything else I tried was hi-tek.

2 hours ago, BryceA said:

What size are you using? I was really surprised that the blue bullets, even in .355", are clean in my P10F which has been getting some leading with every other bullet and size. I suspect it's their coating since everything else I tried was hi-tek.

.358".  They are listed under " 38 Cowboy Bullets", but the exact same family of bullets just sized to .358.  I thought about trying their .356 but why bother?  These work and are stock items at my door in a couple days.

I would think the P09 and P10F would be very similar. Here are my best results with my P09.

.356 diameter

Penn 120 lead flat point & SNS 125 TC coated

WSF 4.0-4.2 grains

RMR 125 matchburner

244 4.0-4.1

WSF 4.7

CFE Pistol 4.8

Sport Pistol 4.3

Edited by Joedirt199

• 3 weeks later...

Last Update

Tried two more bullets, both of which still lead-fouled in my P10F. All crimps were coming in at .378" and I used a 38 S&W neck expander. Checked pulled bullets, none were swaged by seating.

• Brazos .38  SPC TC (.358) 125 gr, 3.6 gr Sport Pistol, 1.03" OAL
    • Leaded like crazy in every gun I tried them in. I think they're just too soft for 9mm. I'm sure they're fantastic in lower pressure cartridges, like maybe the 38 SPC these bullets were meant for. :)
    • These had to be loaded super short, which isn't terribly surprising. I think @GMP has tried them as well and also had to load them short. That said, from his report, I think he had more luck.
    • Didn't crono them. Just checked for pressure signs, saw all the leading, and didn't bother. They would likely have come in ~120-130 PF, 3.6 gr Sport pistol is a pretty modest charge for a 125 gr bullet.
  • Ibejiheads 147gr FP (.357), 3.2 gr Sport Pistol, 1.130" OAL
    • Worked great in everything but my P10F.
    • These bullets are fast: they measured 135 PF with only 3.2 gr sport pistol. Word on the street is that this is normal for ibeji bullets.
    • I really liked these: the profile is amazing (same as the gallant 147 FP afaick) and that baby blue color is pretty nifty. I was impressed with how fast they run.

At this point, considering that quality bullets work in every other barrel I have, I'm thinking my P10F barrel might have a a rough patch, unforgiving throat, or something like that. That would explain why the blue bullets seem to work when all else fails: the coating on the blue bullets is very thick and, unlike every other coated bullet I've tried, when scraped it has more of an elastic character when the Hi-Tek and Ibji bullets would flake.

So, I'm just going to order a case of the Blue Bullets 135 TC bullets in .356 and go from there. Perhaps at some point I'll get a bore scope and see if I can find anything obvious in the barrel that would be causing coating failure but at this point I have found an acceptable load and would rather focus more on shooting and less on reloading.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

1 hour ago, BryceA said:

Last Update

Tried two more bullets, both of which still lead-fouled in my P10F. All crimps were coming in at .378" and I used a 38 S&W neck expander. Checked pulled bullets, none were swaged by seating.

• Brazos .38  SPC TC (.358) 125 gr, 3.6 gr Sport Pistol, 1.03" OAL
    • Leaded like crazy in every gun I tried them in. I think they're just too soft for 9mm. I'm sure they're fantastic in lower pressure cartridges, like maybe the 38 SPC these bullets were meant for. :)
    • These had to be loaded super short, which isn't terribly surprising. I think @GMP has tried them as well and also had to load them short. That said, from his report, I think he had more luck.
    • Didn't crono them. Just checked for pressure signs, saw all the leading, and didn't bother. They would likely have come in ~120-130 PF, 3.6 gr Sport pistol is a pretty modest charge for a 125 gr bullet.
  • Ibejiheads 147gr FP (.357), 3.2 gr Sport Pistol, 1.130" OAL
    • Worked great in everything but my P10F.
    • These bullets are fast: they measured 135 PF with only 3.2 gr sport pistol. Word on the street is that this is normal for ibeji bullets.
    • I really liked these: the profile is amazing (same as the gallant 147 FP afaick) and that baby blue color is pretty nifty. I was impressed with how fast they run.

At this point, considering that quality bullets work in every other barrel I have, I'm thinking my P10F barrel might have a a rough patch, unforgiving throat, or something like that. That would explain why the blue bullets seem to work when all else fails: the coating on the blue bullets is very thick and, unlike every other coated bullet I've tried, when scraped it has more of an elastic character when the Hi-Tek and Ibji bullets would flake.

So, I'm just going to order a case of the Blue Bullets 135 TC bullets in .356 and go from there. Perhaps at some point I'll get a bore scope and see if I can find anything obvious in the barrel that would be causing coating failure but at this point I have found an acceptable load and would rather focus more on shooting and less on reloading.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Brazos 125g TCs were accurate but leaded my barrels, and yes had to be loaded short @ 1.030".  I even tried a sample pack of .359" dia with the same results.  Gave up.  Been having good luck with the Precisions, accurate and clean.  A few bucks more than the Brazos but no scrubbing lead from barrels.  Just ordered 3500.