Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Variable speed case feeder upgrade

I see more and more posts from people upgrading to variable speed drives on their Dillon case feeders, I am curious how many experience issues with cases not dropping and binding the case feed plate? I have a pretty old RL 1050 and motor really only turns the case plate reliably on "high" and I get regular jams of 9mm brass on the edge of the dropper opening, that stop the whole thing. Wouldn't running it faster make this more likely? I've tried adjusting the metal lip thing to restrict and expand the opening, makes no difference. Any tips on that would be much appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Im sorry this wasnt my video. just something I came across a little before this post was made.  Mine has been running pretty reliably on low and high ive only had a couple times where 2 9mm cases stuck just before the drop tube and kept the case feeder from turning a couple taps and they dropped.

To me it kind of looks like a piece cut off an empty 1lb powder can

On 9/6/2019 at 8:29 AM, m700 said:

Im not sure this upgrade is necessary unless you are automated or using feeder on rollsizer.

The outlet may reduce the life of a motor not designed to be run on reduced power.

I believe there is a fix for the case feeder sticking.

I did almost the exact same thing a couple of years ago, have had maybe one or two jams where they drop since then.