Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Semi automatic AR for 1100 yard ?

Leohe8888

I’ve done it with both 6.5 Creedmoor and 6 Creedmoor. Both 22” barrels and Factory Hornady Match ammo using ELD-M and ELD-X bullets. It’s surprisingly easy if you have good glass.

Rifle: Rise Armament 1121XR (6 has Proof stainless barrel)

Optic: Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x EBR-7b

Mount/Bipod: Warne Skyline

Actual distance was 1125 yds in Missouri with both calibers, then to 1050yds with 6.5 and past 1200 yds with 6 in Wyoming.

The question is almost too vague to answer. Are you talking AR platform or can we include large exotic guns and Barrett semi autos?

If you are thinking about the AR are you asking specifically small frame or large frame?

Are you just asking what'll get to 1100? Because 223 has done that many times but its not easy. Grendel and Valkyrie variants are easier but its still not ideal no matter what the advertisement in Guns & Ammo told you. 

What targets are you wanting to hit, because the difference between a full size IPSC silhouette and a 12" square plate can very well be the difference between thinking 1100 yards is relatively easy or never wanting to waste ammo shooting long range dirt again.

12 hours ago, Leohe8888 said:

Any body have a semi automatic rifle for 1100 yard ?

I'm jist curious about what caliber can do that ?

JP LRP07 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I've consistently won gas gun matches, kept up with bolt guns and gotten brand new shooters hits to 1200. It shoots all the Hornady 140, 147 ELD factory loads and Prime 130s phenomenally. 

Most small frames like Grendel or the Wildcats you're running out of velocity and fighting wind past 800 more than is necessary. Wind is far less predictable than drop which is basically just a math app. That leads to large frames and 6.5 is the right balance between slippery bullets with good ballistics and low recoil. 

Feel free to PM me if you have questions. 

14 hours ago, EaZeNuTZ33 said:

I’ve done it with both 6.5 Creedmoor and 6 Creedmoor. Both 22” barrels and Factory Hornady Match ammo using ELD-M and ELD-X bullets. It’s surprisingly easy if you have good glass.

Rifle: Rise Armament 1121XR (6 has Proof stainless barrel)

Optic: Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x EBR-7b

Mount/Bipod: Warne Skyline

Actual distance was 1125 yds in Missouri with both calibers, then to 1050yds with 6.5 and past 1200 yds with 6 in Wyoming.

Thank you very much  !

5 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

The question is almost too vague to answer. Are you talking AR platform or can we include large exotic guns and Barrett semi autos?

If you are thinking about the AR are you asking specifically small frame or large frame?

Are you just asking what'll get to 1100? Because 223 has done that many times but its not easy. Grendel and Valkyrie variants are easier but its still not ideal no matter what the advertisement in Guns & Ammo told you. 

What targets are you wanting to hit, because the difference between a full size IPSC silhouette and a 12" square plate can very well be the difference between thinking 1100 yards is relatively easy or never wanting to waste ammo shooting long range dirt again.

I like a semi automatic rifle hit 12 inch square plate target about 1100~1200yard , it doesn't matter small or large frame.

I don't really like action rifle.

Thanks about your information .

1 hour ago, Darqusoull13 said:

JP LRP07 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I've consistently won gas gun matches, kept up with bolt guns and gotten brand new shooters hits to 1200. It shoots all the Hornady 140, 147 ELD factory loads and Prime 130s phenomenally. 

Most small frames like Grendel or the Wildcats you're running out of velocity and fighting wind past 800 more than is necessary. Wind is far less predictable than drop which is basically just a math app. That leads to large frames and 6.5 is the right balance between slippery bullets with good ballistics and low recoil. 

Feel free to PM me if you have questions. 

I've heard 6.5creedmoor ,i don't know 6.0 , what's different ?

11 hours ago, Leohe8888 said:

I've heard 6.5creedmoor ,i don't know 6.0 , what's different ?

In gas guns, or Large Frame / AR10's,  generally speaking 6.5 Creed is a much more straightforward round to buy ammo and run. 6 Creed can be a bit finnicky and it's really tough on brass. In practice you wont realize the benefits of going to a 6mm from a 6.5mm in a gas gun for long range. 

6.5 Creed you can buy ammo at Academy or in bulk online and consistently hit near any target at any PRS style match if you do your part. Once folks realized you could do that, PRS exploded. 

6 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

In gas guns, or Large Frame / AR10's,  generally speaking 6.5 Creed is a much more straightforward round to buy ammo and run. 6 Creed can be a bit finnicky and it's really tough on brass. In practice you wont realize the benefits of going to a 6mm from a 6.5mm in a gas gun for long range. 

6.5 Creed you can buy ammo at Academy or in bulk online and consistently hit near any target at any PRS style match if you do your part. Once folks realized you could do that, PRS exploded. 

Thanks ! Your information help me a lot  !

I have a couple AR-10s in various calibers like 308, 260 and 22-250.  They recoil a lot due to the heavy bolt and carrier.  This makes spotting hits/misses more difficult than a AR-15 based caliber.

I did some load work ups on my 6 Grendel last month and settled on H4895 instead of Varget.  Here is what a 105 Hybrid can do at 600 yards with a 16X scope.  Thats 5 shots inside about 4 inches.

OHpE5Vi.jpg

JLvJKsg.jpg

Edited by Tom Freeman

7 hours ago, Tom Freeman said:

I have a couple AR-10s in various calibers like 308, 260 and 22-250.  They recoil a lot due to the heavy bolt and carrier.  This makes spotting hits/misses more difficult than a AR-15 based caliber.

I did some load work ups on my 6 Grendel last month and settled on H4895 instead of Varget.  Here is what a 105 Hybrid can do at 600 yards with a 16X scope.  Thats 5 shots inside about 4 inches.

OHpE5Vi.jpg

JLvJKsg.jpg

Nice beautiful gun ! Did you used it shot about 1100 yard or more ?

Absolutely.  My home range only goes out to 600.

Without much effort, 12 inch plates at 1,000 yards are very hittable.  Going 5 for 5 on a full size IPSC at 1,000 yards is common.

Past 1,200 yards the bullet starts to go subsonic and it gets dicey.

3 hours ago, Tom Freeman said:

Absolutely.  My home range only goes out to 600.

Without much effort, 12 inch plates at 1,000 yards are very hittable.  Going 5 for 5 on a full size IPSC at 1,000 yards is common.

Past 1,200 yards the bullet starts to go subsonic and it gets dicey.

Thank you ! And one more question , I have a silencerco suppressor , do you know what kind cover is good for cold down it , because it was burn my hand many time just like BBQ chicken wings ......

2 hours ago, Leohe8888 said:

Thank you ! And one more question , I have a silencerco suppressor , do you know what kind cover is good for cold down it , because it was burn my hand many time just like BBQ chicken wings ......

I just run a SiCo cover on mine but most of the time it goes bare.

IMG_20190714_203015_537.jpg

Small frame 6.5 grendel large frame 6.5 creedmoor. Suppressor cover I'm a coletac fan especially on a semi auto.  Consider barrel life when looking at push out that far these faster calibers do eat throats out faster than a .223 barrel. 

• 2 weeks later...

Back when I shot Service Rifle, I ran a White Oak Precision upper in 223 with a Wylde chamber. Normal SR matches wen to 600 yards. 

Occasionally, I would shoot a Palma match with that rig. Iron sites at 1000 yds is rather sporty. I don't think it would have worked past 1010 yards...let alone 1100 yds.