Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger PCC - how to lighten it

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tim.  I'm waiting to see about the TK chassis which is my hesitation on mag release /  mag funnel, etc;   

Yesterday the gun cycled w/o any issue 2.5gr n310 / 100gr berry plated bullet;  We are trying to go lower today;   

• 3 weeks later...

My buddy Tom found this good writeup of the function of the dead-blow weight. 

"A bolt carrier measuring approximately 1.125" square by 4.5" inches in length rides below a guide rod and a “bolt top” keyed to the bolt. While fundamentally a blowback, the gun’s design also relies on a separate so-called dead-blow weight, mimicking the function of a like-named hammer. The weight measures 0.750" square by 1.875" in length and is metal-injection-molded from tungsten—an elemental metal with a density 1.7 times that of lead. According to Ruger engineers, the weight accounts for nearly half of the bolt assembly’s mass, which keeps its overall size reasonable yet still allows the mechanism to counteract the recoil of even 9 mm Luger +P cartridges. The weight rests in a pocket machined into the bolt carrier that allows about 0.025" of play fore and aft, and, in operation, comes to rest a split second after the carrier, retarding the carrier’s velocity somewhat as it changes direction. That helps prevent the “bolt bounce” effect often associated with such guns, which can result in receiver battering and a lack of reliability. It also softens the blow of the carrier against the receiver somewhat, even though that task is primarily handled by a elastomer buffer attached to the rear of the recoil spring assembly."

Recently I have had good luck shooting 80PF loads with the Ruger PCC with no changes internally other than the MCarbo recoil pad.  I need to try without the blow back weight;  

Playing around a bit.  I was able to mount the palm swell grip from my modshot 10/22 stock in about 30 seconds to the Ruger PCC.     

G10 handguard was 4.8oz  and the modshot is 1.8oz.   Not sure I like it.  Doesn't look great, but it works.   

image.thumb.png.7cf228d219d2e7beb0ed67ce738bf230.png

• 1 month later...

I used Wiland to perform the custom work.   $150 using my barrel.   Unfortunately you could buy a whole AR 9mm barrel for this price, but I'm happy with the results.   

I have grown to like the modshot palm swell very much.  Consistent with my 10/22 ultralight build.  

I also recently put in a volquartsen TG9 drop in trigger.  Nothing bad to say.  It is a bit heavier given made out of billet AL than the stock plastic housing.   I have to weigh the 2 side by side. 

Not sure it is worth the price of the trigger.  I really wish KIDD would make one.   The kidd single stage in my 10/22 is perfect.    I did contact Kidd, but they are not interested at this time. 

Frankly, I am waiting for the tandemkross upriser stock to come out.     

I covered the taccom hand guard in carbon fiber wrap ( same stuff used for cars ).   Looks better on the gun than it does in the pic, but I didn't have on of it mounted. 

image.thumb.png.88e2045479c4411aa3bf7e8fef7099f2.png

Edited by jrdoran
On 4/16/2020 at 5:16 PM, jrdoran said:

I used Wiland to perform the custom work.   $150 using my barrel.   Unfortunately you could buy a whole AR 9mm barrel for this price, but I'm happy with the results.   

I have grown to like the modshot palm swell very much.  Consistent with my 10/22 ultralight build.  

I also recently put in a volquartsen TG9 drop in trigger.  Nothing bad to say.  It is a bit heavier given made out of billet AL than the stock plastic housing.   I have to weigh the 2 side by side. 

Not sure it is worth the price of the trigger.  I really wish KIDD would make one.   The kidd single stage in my 10/22 is perfect.    I did contact Kidd, but they are not interested at this time. 

I covered the taccom hand guard in carbon fiber wrap ( same stuff used for cars ).   Looks better on the gun than it does in the pic, but I didn't have on of it mounted. 

Still a really cool project. do you have any more photos of the whole gun with that modshot palm swell? the one you had posted is pretty close up. 

I'm very interested in the TG9 trigger but i've read a lot of similar reports saying that they're not sure if it is worth the price. Would be cool if more companies came out with some trigger upgrades. I recently reached out to Brimestone Gunsmithing to see if they would do anything for the PC carbine, their 10/22 trigger job is pretty awesome and they are local to me, waiting to hear back from them.

I think the Tandemkross stock looks interesting. waiting to see the specs and how much it weighs. I have already tried the midwest industries chassis but wound up selling it because it was to heave and bulky. Would be cool to see a lightweight polymer chassis system for the pc carbine. I am thinking the Magpul backpacker stock looks like a good option too. 

10 hours ago, jrdoran said:

At less than 1lb  this seems like a good option to replicate the minimalist 10/22 stocks;      Not cheap and not yet available; 

https://infitech.se/en/ruger-pc-carbine/ruger-pc-carbine-chassis/

10 hours ago, jrdoran said:

Maybe but i wonder if it would still be to heavy? It looks a lot like the midwest industries chassis which i found to be a little heavy and bulky. 

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Ruger-PC-Carbine-Chassis-p/mi-rpcc.htm

I'm still really interested to see what Tandemkross does with their upriser chassis. I'd like to see someone make one out of polymer or something like that. 

< 1bs !!!       For reference the modshot chassis which is the lightest RF rifle is 1lb 3oz ;  

Add the grip to infitech which is 1.3oz;    Still lighter;   Below is my modshot  🙂  

We'll get there; experiment after experiment is what makes it fun;

image.thumb.png.7e32e7a68658dc271316aa67547d02d0.png

The original  ruger stock surprised me;  not that much heavier.  I took out the glock mag adapter; 

Since I was into it.  I weighed the stock ruger trigger + mcarbo spring / trigger = 3.6oz;   Volquartsen tg9 = 6.4oz; 

image.thumb.png.86b2c43dc81c5e86197962033c27c104.png 

Edited by jrdoran
2 hours ago, jrdoran said:

The original  ruger stock surprised me;  not that much heavier.  I took out the glock mag adapter; 

Since I was into it.  I weighed the stock ruger trigger + mcarbo spring / trigger = 3.6oz;   Volquartsen tg9 = 6.4oz; 

Nice! good info, i'd like to see Volquarsten come out with something similar to their HP action kit for the 10/22 but for the PC Carbine. That would probably keep the weight of the factory trigger group well getting better performance. I actually wrote them about that earlier today. This is what they said.

"

Hi Jordan,

We have looked at offering just the individual components and encountered functioning issues when we tried that.  We are going to continue to work on this and hopefully in the near future will have something available."

so hopefully soon, once they get the bugs worked out. 

Since the ruger does not require an actual mil-spec ,buffer tube I am going to make my own out of carbon fiber and couple it with the infitech chassis.  We'll see how it goes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8G9J94/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have also shot the rifle without the 9oz tungsten weight.  It shot fine, however what I realized is the weight plays a physical role in positioning and preventing movement of  the  recoil spring plate.   So next project is to make a replacement weight ( with firing pin hole ) out of Aluminum.   Ultimately I think I can get the gun to lie 5' 5oz with c-more give or take.   

Granted I could take an AR platform to <5lbs, but here in CT that requires a $1200 pre-ban lower to start.  Ends up at around $2600 out the door.  

image.thumb.png.88e2045479c4411aa3bf7e8fef7099f2.png

What is the diameter of the carbon fiber tube?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I realize this is an older string of posts, but I was wondering if you noticed a significant difference in felt recoil/dot movement after going with the shorter effective barrel length within the shroud.  In theory this should lessen the duration of the chamber pressure curve and decrease the amount of energy being exerted on the bolt.  I'm considering a similar modification, but wanted to hear what your thoughts were on how it effected the cycling of the gun, as well as the recoil impulse.

Thanks!

Lightening the barrel has had only very positive effects in how the gun performs for me in steel challenge.  Separately, I have reduced my 9mm loads to a power factor of about 70 that has significantly reduced felt recoil.    I don't have an opinion on dot movement as in the game of steel challenge the dot is sort of always moving anyway if you are shooting very fast.   

I had zero change in what the gun would cycle, it eats everything.   Think of it as a pistol now.     I'm not enough of an ammo geek to give you a point of view on recoil impulse and speed of bolt recoil to be honest.   Going forward, I would like to remove the tungsten weight and replace with AL or Steel.  I did remove the weight entirely for about 25 rounds and the gun cycled fine, but then realized that the weight plays a small role in keeping the spring plate in place so I didn't want to go too far.   

Hope this helps.