Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger PCC - how to lighten it

About to purchase #19101  ( CT/NY compliant )

Need to make it a little lighter particularly off the front.   I'm aware of the carbon fiber hand guard which will save 4oz;    

I'm not a gunsmith, but wondering, could the fluted barrel be turned down by a competent gunsmith to loose some weight w/o jeopardizing integrity ? 

More extreme would be the taccom aluminum shround approach after cutting barrel down to approx 5" and then 'somehow' attaching the AL sleeve.      Overall weight of gun isn't bad, but it is too muzzle heavy IMO.   A 1lb difference seems like what it needs.    Lightening the stock at this point won't help much.

ideas and experiences welcome....

Edited by jrdoran
typo
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not have thought the front to be that much of an issue, but...

Shrouding the barrel would (most likely) be best achieved by having a smith turn down the barrel to a nominal OD, creating a shoulder, just forward of the rear sight assembly, then placing an aluminum or CF sleeve on it, and using the muzzle threads to lock it down with a corresponding muzzle device/lock nut.  Probably the most reasonable, cost-wise.

I would be hesitant to suggest a "pencil" profile on a barrel that's already been fluted, as I ass-u-me that the engineers have already settled on a durable but lighter profile, but that's well beyond my tinkering level. Rugers are known for being meaty, after all. Edit to add: I say "pencil" in the context of a thinned, untensioned barrel.

Edited by Rob72

You got me pondering...

This is the barrel I have in my 10/22 TD https://www.pikearms.com/catalog/product/04770

Pike's does 10/22 stuff, pretty exclusively, but I'd give them a call and see if either they would take a look at your barrel or know someone who would; or, see if you could have a Green Mountain barrel ( http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/9mm-blank-9mm-raw-blank-17-x-1-1-10/ ) cut to your desired specs. 

I know you can loose weight in the bolt, which is the main mass affecting recoil.

I loooovve spending someone else's money!😁

Edited by Rob72

Great suggestions Rob.  That is the right direction I want to head.    

Bolt would be secondary to first moving the CG closer to the rear.  Barrel is too heavy at the moment. 

The stock barrel with stock handguard weighs about 2.5lbs;  Not a ton of meat on the bones and the handguard weighs 8oz and can be removed replaced with carbon fiber or pipe insulation.  So barrel with attachment mechanism is about 2lbs;     Educate me on why melonite is challenging.  I'm not at all familiar with it.   

I think the removable tungsten weight is another interesting option, but I don't have enough experience to play around here. 

If one were shooting very light loads, could the weight be reduced ?   replace tungsten with a steel weight ?    

On 8/26/2019 at 9:51 AM, jrdoran said:

The stock barrel with stock handguard weighs about 2.5lbs;  Not a ton of meat on the bones and the handguard weighs 8oz and can be removed replaced with carbon fiber or pipe insulation.  So barrel with attachment mechanism is about 2lbs;     Educate me on why melonite is challenging.  I'm not at all familiar with it.   

I think the removable tungsten weight is another interesting option, but I don't have enough experience to play around here. 

If one were shooting very light loads, could the weight be reduced ?   replace tungsten with a steel weight ?    

Melonite is basically the EPA approved, US version of the Tenifer finish.  It makes the surface extremely hard.  I had forgotten that- it would be muuuch easier to mill an aftermarket barrel.

The tungesten weight is there to ensure that the bolt closes fully.  If you can acquire an extra weight, you could weigh it on a postal scale, then start with 2 5/8" holes drilled through(carbide bit), and start seeing how much weight comes off.  Shoot a box or two, and see what happens.  I'd do less than you think you want, because the lighter mass block will slam fore and aft more quickly, and you have to start playing with spring weights, if you start short-stroking.

4 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Get a KAW Valley 16" barrel that is only 19ozs and a carbon fiber handguard. Anderson Sport upper, bolt with no weight. My PCC weights under 6 lbs all in. Thanks, Eric

Eric, this is not an AR platform.   Here in CT, we can only own an AR platform if pre- 1994.   Let's not have a dick measuring contest on which states are free and which aren't.  

I'm sold on the Ruger PCC at this point. 

Hello: I did not see you are thinking of the Ruger PCC. Yes, you can turn down the barrel to make it lighter. Carbon handguards will be lightest choice. You could also slot holes and lighten up some of the other parts. The stock ones I have shot all have been front heavy so that is where I would start. You don't feel the weight as much in the stock area and may help to lesson the felt recoil. Thanks, Eric

On 8/28/2019 at 3:29 PM, Rob72 said:

Melonite is basically the EPA approved, US version of the Tenifer finish.  It makes the surface extremely hard.  I had forgotten that- it would be muuuch easier to mill an aftermarket barrel.

The tungesten weight is there to ensure that the bolt closes fully.  If you can acquire an extra weight, you could weigh it on a postal scale, then start with 2 5/8" holes drilled through(carbide bit), and start seeing how much weight comes off.  Shoot a box or two, and see what happens.  I'd do less than you think you want, because the lighter mass block will slam fore and aft more quickly, and you have to start playing with spring weights, if you start short-stroking.

Thank you; this was informative. 

• 5 weeks later...

I really like my ruger pcc.  I have added a "stick on" cheek riser and am using a c more rts2 red dot (8moa)   I have a Midwest industries front handguard coming in the mail this week.  I have decided that I am not going to worry about the weight of my rifle - I am just going to shoot it and enjoy it.  Maybe down the road I will look for a lighter pcc - but right now I am focused to making M with my ruger

I know the handguard I am getting is heavier than the one that comes on the ruger -- but I want to extend my grip out farther towards the muzzle.  I am pretty sure this is going to work for me.  I have not seen the chassis for sale yet, but it is good to know that it is not a lightweight!!

On 10/1/2019 at 3:34 PM, Flageo said:

I know the handguard I am getting is heavier than the one that comes on the ruger -- but I want to extend my grip out farther towards the muzzle.  I am pretty sure this is going to work for me.  I have not seen the chassis for sale yet, but it is good to know that it is not a lightweight!!

Which Ruger PCC are you talking about? The original issue that looks more like a rifle with the short underbarrel hand guard or the new ones out earlier this year with factory M-Lok hand guards? 

I waited for the latter, model 19117, since I favor the C-clamp left hand grip. At least one early aftermarket model left the top of the barrel still exposed, precluding the C-clamp grip once the barrel warmed up. 

I just mounted the Midwest industries front handguard on my ruger pcc (the one that looks more like a rifle with a short handguard.  Slides on over the front and rear ruger iron sights.  Mounts with the screw hole that held the stock handguard in place - they provide a shorter screw that works on their product.  
A little heavier than the stock foregrip, but very nice -- and longer.  That was my reason for the purchase.  I wanted to be able to extend my grip and get it closer to the muzzle.  I am going to try and get it out this afternoon and see how it feels.  Hope to shoot it in a competition (steel challenge) tomorrow.  It really changes the look of the rifle.

I had the chance to shoot my ruger pcc with the new Midwest industries handguard in a match this week end.  Big difference as the new handguard allowed me to grip closer to the muzzle.  It really added to the control I have over the rifle.  It resulted in a much improved time in the steel challenge match.  I would have to say money well spent.  Also got several comments on the "look" of the rifle