Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
chgofirefighter

Is there such a thing as an affordable open pistol?

Recommended Posts

On 8/21/2019 at 3:00 PM, MikeBurgess said:

So has JJ has torpedoed his possible performances with the Beretta

 

I believe there is a huge difference between "top shooter guy" likes gun "x" better than "y" and "top shooter guy" scores better with gun "x" than gun "y" I also believe that way too many people think that if "top shooter guy" uses gun "x" they have objectively tested it and found it to be better than gun "y" 

 

 

 

Hoping JJ has success with a beretta open gun... but honestly would not be surprised if he pulls a KC/Max and has a 2011 "beretta" open gun built eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 10:43 AM, chgofirefighter said:

 

 

Thanks are you selling them or just letting me know to look into them?  Unfortunately, Tanfo's don't have much after market support as CZ's or other 2011's but again, I don't know much about them.. or seen them in being used in my matches

lol unfortunately I don't own these. I haven't gotten into Open yet because literally everytime I'm ready to get one a squad mates gun jams at a local or major match. That totally neuters the idea of it immediately 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got into open when I traded my 2011 Limited gun for one gun.  So yes you can get a get gun that runs for an affordable price.  It does help to have some knowledge about the platform you choose, it doesn’t matter if it’s open or production. You need to understand how to fix the little issues that happen when you compete with mechanical tools. As far as open guns always jamming (or whatever) you will not find anyone really competitive, shooting a gun that always screw up their matches.  All my guns run, if I have an issue I figured out what’s going on and it will run before the next match I take it too. Good luck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 1:26 PM, Balakay said:

Here's a really nice one. no relation to seller.  Lots of deals to be had in that price range

That one just went on sale for the low low price of $2,400.00 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a PT grip too.   Great guns!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 6:42 PM, a matt said:

 if I have an issue I figured out what’s going on and it will run before the next match I take it too. Good luck 

exactly, thats part of the game, in any sport where mechanical devices are involved.

 

to win any race, you first need to finish it.

 

also, any modifications, improvements, new parts fitted need to be tested properly before running them in a match. thats why having 2 guns is really a must of you want to engage in experiments and "improvements" 

a friend of mine had the fantastic idea of replacing the extractor in his gun literally minutes before a match, in the safety area.

 

i think he had 1 jam every 2 rounds :D

 

why did he change it? according to him, to prevent jams :D 

 

unfortunately i knew people who did something similar to the engine of their airplane, and killed themselves. they call it "preventive maintenance".  someone else calls it "if it aint broken fix it until is broken" 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ya. The biggest thing is that your equipment runs and you mentally believe it will not let you down. So you can 100% focus on the task at hand.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk


Good advice about the mental game & the gear you use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about a Dan Bedell custom gun? I heard they were more affordable than some of the other big brands. Pretty sure a Bedell is what Max won open with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KellyB said:

What about a Dan Bedell custom gun? I heard they were more affordable than some of the other big brands. Pretty sure a Bedell is what Max won open with.

 

not sure getting the gun a top shooter won races with makes any sense at all

pretty sure the gun the common joe gets is not the same gun the top shooter gets

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gianmarko said:

 

not sure getting the gun a top shooter won races with makes any sense at all

pretty sure the gun the common joe gets is not the same gun the top shooter gets

 

 

With Dan you can be sure the gun Max gets will be the same as yours.

HE makes them right and that's that.

Yeah I know him, live 45 minutes from him and he'll do it the same for you or me or Max.

By the way, Max pays for his like every body else! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gianmarko said:

 

not sure getting the gun a top shooter won races with makes any sense at all

pretty sure the gun the common joe gets is not the same gun the top shooter gets

 

 

Topic was affordable guns. Usually top shooters pick dependable guns. 

Custom guns are set to a customers preferences. Even stock guns like an STI DVC will have different after market changes according to the preferences of the buyer. Magwell style & weight, thumb rest, kind/style of dot, recoil spring, the way a trigger is set. These things are true as well for non-open guns. Same gun, but not the same preferences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The top shooters gun are really nothing more than what anyone can get, they don’t pour pixie dust on them because it’s going to Eric, Max or George as a matter of fact Max runs a Bedell Eric ran a Tanfo and George ran an SV when they one their world championships.  Nothing more than you or I could purchase. What could be different in those world championship winning guns? Only one thing the man using the tool.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In my experience every CZ I ever bought ran flawlessly, I have 5 CZ's never a problem, I love Tangfolio's that said I , and others had  issues from FTF, to Light strikes to just not running, without tune up of some sort. Just my limited observation and experience .

Edited by rancher5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, running is running. Ammo & guns to mags.  Everything else is the nut driving..😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been shooting my "factory" built STI now for 4 years. Under 4k purchase price. I admit once every 20k rounds I do get a misfeed. That's with at least 12k rounds per year. I also own two custom built 2011 built in 1995 that are still going strong with new barrels, just not a desirable caliber for todays matches (9x25) . My Grand Master has never been to a gunsmith and the only mod is a thumb rest. Tuned mags - no need my factory ones work just fine.

There are probably some custom 6k+ open guns that allow improved scores but not for A class and below. In my case the gun is much more accurate than the operator. Go with a factory STI, once you have used it enough to notice the slide is too slow, too much rise or whatever then you will know what you like and dislike if you then want a custom gun.

 

OPEN still the most fun you can have at a match

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 2:45 PM, a matt said:

The top shooters gun are really nothing more than what anyone can get, they don’t pour pixie dust on them because it’s going to Eric, Max or George as a matter of fact Max runs a Bedell Eric ran a Tanfo and George ran an SV when they one their world championships.  Nothing more than you or I could purchase. What could be different in those world championship winning guns? Only one thing the man using the tool.  

with all due respect, i dont believe that a manufacturer gives a top shooter just any gun picked from the production line. 

at a minimum, they get guns that have been selected, and more carefully fitted. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've bought a few "double stack" pistols off Enos. The first was a 40 Cal limited gun. It was barely shot yada yada yada. Got it and shot a couple indoor matches. My scores weren't what I was used to since I had a "couple more" Delta's and Mike's than usual. Brought it to range and tested accuracy at 15 yards. Couldn't even get a group on a paper plate. Turns out the barrel was shot out. Cost $375 to rebarrel and it shot lights out. I'm now a little more savvy and always ask for a 3 day inspection period. If you buy a used gun cheap enough and figure you'll need to put a couple hundred into it, it's a good choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the moment I don't think it's wise to get into open for less than the cost of a 'top tier gun'. I see so many open guns that don't work resulting in frustrated shooters and poor match experience. I think if money is a concern for the cost of the gun then open isn't your division- it costs WAY more than the gun. as of today, carry optics looks to be the second most fun division is USPSA and the CO guns available are super gucci and you could have two guns, back up optics, two rigs and a bazillion mags for less than the cost of a good open gun. Also the ammo is much more affordable and you can buy it! Food for thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 9:48 AM, Benji said:

At the moment I don't think it's wise to get into open for less than the cost of a 'top tier gun'. I see so many open guns that don't work resulting in frustrated shooters and poor match experience. I think if money is a concern for the cost of the gun then open isn't your division- it costs WAY more than the gun. as of today, carry optics looks to be the second most fun division is USPSA and the CO guns available are super gucci and you could have two guns, back up optics, two rigs and a bazillion mags for less than the cost of a good open gun. Also the ammo is much more affordable and you can buy it! Food for thought. 

 

I’m with him.  The gun was only a fraction of the cost of open.  I thought carry optics was as much fun, though I’m back to open again.

 

cz is the closest thing I’ve see to an “affordable” open gu 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shoot with a lot of Open shooters  Except for a couple of guys with new DVCs they haven't sorted out yet, I don't see failures.

 

The first two Open guns I bought were used.  I went through them and changed out the springs and anything else I thought was worn.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  There is a nice SVI Open gun in Classifieds right now for $2500.  The 38 Super barrel is about useless, but the 9mm is not.

 

There is no rule that says a 'top tier' gun has to cost $6-7k.  There are plenty of good gunsmiths that build guns with top of the line components for a lot less.  They don't have the 'name', so they cannot charge the premium the 'names' do.

 

I'd also argue the dumbest thing you could do when just getting into Open is to buy a new, expensive custom gun.  Why?  You have no idea what you don't know.  You don't yet know what you like or don't.  You end up going with what others tell you is right, and that is a mistake.  I shot my two used Open guns for two seasons, plus some other shooters guns.  I learned what worked for me and what didn't, plus what I liked or not.  So armed with that, my new full custom gun is exactly what I wanted.  I would not change a thing.  Now I'm going to make another exactly like is as a spare.  I will tell you taht if I had bought what others recommended, I would not have been happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, zzt said:

I shoot with a lot of Open shooters  Except for a couple of guys with new DVCs they haven't sorted out yet, I don't see failures.

 

The first two Open guns I bought were used.  I went through them and changed out the springs and anything else I thought was worn.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  There is a nice SVI Open gun in Classifieds right now for $2500.  The 38 Super barrel is about useless, but the 9mm is not.

 

There is no rule that says a 'top tier' gun has to cost $6-7k.  There are plenty of good gunsmiths that build guns with top of the line components for a lot less.  They don't have the 'name', so they cannot charge the premium the 'names' do.

 

I'd also argue the dumbest thing you could do when just getting into Open is to buy a new, expensive custom gun.  Why?  You have no idea what you don't know.  You don't yet know what you like or don't.  You end up going with what others tell you is right, and that is a mistake.  I shot my two used Open guns for two seasons, plus some other shooters guns.  I learned what worked for me and what didn't, plus what I liked or not.  So armed with that, my new full custom gun is exactly what I wanted.  I would not change a thing.  Now I'm going to make another exactly like is as a spare.  I will tell you taht if I had bought what others recommended, I would not have been happy.

+1

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gianmarko said:

+1

 

 

I leaned this the hard way.  The other advantage of starting with a used gun is that the resale value will be similar when you do find what you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 11:06 PM, chenault said:

 

I leaned this the hard way.  The other advantage of starting with a used gun is that the resale value will be similar when you do find what you want.

 

yep, another excellent reason for picking up used open guns

open guns are a terrible investment. i can buy a shadow2 and resell it 2 years later losing  a couple hundred bucks

an open gun, i will be lucky to resell it one week later losing only a couple thousands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...