Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fastest way to dry brass

brytec

Cheap multi stack food dehydrator works fine.

If you want quick drying - dip the wet brass into a container of denatured alcohol to displace the water before drying. Optional, works fine without this step.

I got a used food dehydrator from Goodwill for $20. Since I usually tumble in the evenings after work, the brass usually hits the dryer by 8 and I turn it off when I go to bed at 10. Usually let them cool down overnight but when I have checked they are bone dry at about an hour or so.

I dry brass in the oven at 250°. Usually 30 minutes is enough for pistol cases, sometimes I'll let it go longer for 223. 

Edit - a pizza pan with holes in it dries faster than a solid pan. 

Edited by Yondering

• 3 weeks later...

During the summer, set it on your AC unit.

All the other times, https://www.amazon.com/NESCO-FD-37A-Dehydrator-Speckled-Marbled/dp/B00CS5ZI6G/ref=sr_1_20?crid=2U89AWJNLOJQF&keywords=food+dehydrator&qid=1568155948&s=gateway&sprefix=food+deh%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-20 is cheaper than the reloading company rebadged food dehydrators.

• 2 months later...
On 8/21/2019 at 12:01 PM, mikeg1005 said:

Dry tumble... waste of time and effort to wet tumble. 

I used to think that too and held out for a few years. I don't really care at all about perfectly shiny brass.

Wet tumble in the FART  without pins for 45 -60 min. Cheap Amazon food dehydrator for 90 minutes. Done.  Minimal effort, no dust. An added bonus is that by using ArmorAll car wash and wax, I no longer need to lube my cases