Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 Gen 5 open pistol? Yay or Nay?

chgofirefighter

I don't have STI or 2011 type of money to spend on an Open Pistol.  Debating whether to turn my G17 into an open gun? Hmmm... After talking to Bobby Carver the cost is not that hard to swallow in order to turn my G17 into an Open Gun, however... Glocks will never produce a trigger quite like a 2011 or my CZ S2.  But for a minimal investment of around $700 to $800 I can pull it off.  

I'm already using a CZ S2 for Carry Optics division but man do I want to shoot in the open the division.  Some of my shooting friends advise me to just sit and wait until I have the funds to purchase either a custom 2011 or an STI DVC O.  The STI cost me around $3400 discounted but man that's a hard pill to swallow!  Also, many caution me to stay away from a poly pistol to shoot open.  So should I listen or just follow my heart and jump right it?  I don't see many world-class shooters using striker fired open pistol but than again I'm no "world class shooter!" 

My G17 already has a trigger job, trigger guard undergut, lightweight striker, tungsten guiderod, and I also have a DPP red dot that I am not using...  So that helps me a lot, so what do you guys recommend or advise me to do?

Thanks for the guidance and assistance in advance~ 

I don't have STI or 2011 type of money to spend on an Open Pistol.  Debating whether to turn my G17 into an open gun? Hmmm... After talking to Bobby Carver the cost is not that hard to swallow in order to turn my G17 into an Open Gun, however... Glocks will never produce a trigger quite like a 2011 or my CZ S2.  But for a minimal investment of around $700 to $800 I can pull it off.  

I'm already using a CZ S2 for Carry Optics division but man do I want to shoot in the open the division.  Some of my shooting friends advise me to just sit and wait until I have the funds to purchase either a custom 2011 or an STI DVC O.  The STI cost me around $3400 discounted but man that's a hard pill to swallow!  Also, many caution me to stay away from a poly pistol to shoot open.  So should I listen or just follow my heart and jump right it?  I don't see many world-class shooters using striker fired open pistol but than again I'm no "world class shooter!" 

My G17 already has a trigger job, trigger guard undergut, lightweight striker, tungsten guiderod, and I also have a DPP red dot that I am not using...  So that helps me a lot, so what do you guys recommend or advise me to do?

Thanks for the guidance and assistance in advance~ 

Glocks have never successfully run major consistently by any manufacturer or tinkerer. If you're going to run minor than you'd be fine.

Honestly, hone your skills in CO and save up for open gun PLUS the cost of the mags and ammo. Why not borrow a friend's gun for a few matches and run it to see how much you really like Open? If you decide you do then put one on plastic. SPS Panter makes a great every level 2011 gun which will need some parts upgrades from the MIM internals but the slide to frame fit is phenomenal.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Glocks have never successfully run major consistently by any manufacturer or tinkerer. If you're going to run minor than you'd be fine.

Honestly, hone your skills in CO and save up for open gun PLUS the cost of the mags and ammo. Why not borrow a friend's gun for a few matches and run it to see how much you really like Open? If you decide you do then put one on plastic. SPS Panter makes a great every level 2011 gun which will need some parts upgrades from the MIM internals but the slide to frame fit is phenomenal.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Hmmm, sounds like a great idea!  I was leaning towards the CZ Czcheckmate or the DVC O...  But my heart is set on the DVC O.  I'm still undecided though just wanting some ideas and yours sounds about right

I concur with Rnlinebacker. Get skills down in CO, save up, and watch the classified. When Nationals are over in September, there will be guns for sale. The money you’d spend to “openize” your Glock would go a long way toward a proper open gun. 

I had a G45 open gun running for a week when I won B at a level III area match with it.

I had the fastest time of anyone on a single shot per target, 16 shot prop style stage.

I was in the top times for a short round count classifier type stage.

With some practice and effort, I realistically could pull a 90% with it.

I was running major with coated lead bullets, an off brand, fully supported, threaded barrel, and stock slide.

I was running Carver’s M&P major comp because I bought it on clearance and got it to fit after I cut off the guide rod loop.

I bought most things used or on clearance.  My total investment, including the cost of the Holosun 510C, and the magazines, was approximately $900.

If you want a Glock open gun, get a Glock open gun.

Edited by Whoops!

I wanted to get into Open super bad, so I built up my G22 using Carver/SJC parts. Even with this super sub-optimal setup, it is still a riot to shoot. Most fun I've had shooting in my life. Gun included, it cost me about half the STI price you quoted. I'm now in the position where I need to decide if I want to double-down on the Glock and switch over to 9major with it, or if I should switch to a 2011 platform. I'm totally with you that the price is a tough pill to swallow.

Sadly in my neck of the woods I don't have any 2011 Open folks to borrow a gun from, so I can't really compare the two platforms. I do know that even shooting 40, the bugger likes to rattle itself apart. I rattled off the nut on my Carver optic mount, and the trigger pin won't stay in with the blue locktite - I have to tighten it down every match. Even rattled the safety lever deal on my zev trigger out at my state match this year. 

If you have someone to borrow a 2011 from, I'd say do that and see if you think the cost is worth it to you. 

I have a Gen 3 G17 SJC open gun that I built up from a frame.
I built it because I wanted to try out open. I started out shooting minor and then, by changing recoil spring, shifted to major. I picked up a couple of 170mm mags from the classifieds and have one or two extended mags.

It has run without issue. It is not the slickest, prettiest beast, but she’s reliable and shoots true. She’s become a safe queen and backup, giving way to a CK 2011

Why did I switch? I never got used to the grip angle and I wanted something that fit my hands better.

My G17 cost less than half of the CK. Mags are a whole other discussion. It was a good path for me. I called it “cheap open” before Carry Optics came along.

I think it all depends on what you want to get out of shooting USPSA.  Are you trying to compete for wins at Level II and above?  If so, you're probably better off sticking with CO and saving up for a 2011.  Do you only shoot Level I matches and only compete to have fun?  Then shoot whatever fits your budget and your personal goals.  I shoot an Open Glock 17 (currently setup for minor) because 1) it's cheap 2) it's fun 3) it's versatile (can shoot USPSA, Steel Challenge, GSSF, local Action pistol matches, etc.) 4) it runs with no issues and the biggest reason...5) THE GUN IS NOT WHAT IS HOLDING ME BACK FROM BEING COMPETITIVE!

So in summary, I'm a fan of Glocks and Open Glocks but just be realistic with what you want to get out of it.  You do not need a $3500 gun in order to have fun and be competitive in USPSA (even in Open).

15 minutes ago, cjmill87 said:

I think it all depends on what you want to get out of shooting USPSA.  Are you trying to compete for wins at Level II and above?  If so, you're probably better off sticking with CO and saving up for a 2011.  Do you only shoot Level I matches and only compete to have fun?  Then shoot whatever fits your budget and your personal goals.  I shoot an Open Glock 17 (currently setup for minor) because 1) it's cheap 2) it's fun 3) it's versatile (can shoot USPSA, Steel Challenge, GSSF, local Action pistol matches, etc.) 4) it runs with no issues and the biggest reason...5) THE GUN IS NOT WHAT IS HOLDING ME BACK FROM BEING COMPETITIVE!

So in summary, I'm a fan of Glocks and Open Glocks but just be realistic with what you want to get out of it.  You do not need a $3500 gun in order to have fun and be competitive in USPSA (even in Open).

I think this nails it down.  I built an XDM open gun in 40 and am having fun with it, but I knew what i was getting into when i built it, and am OK with the fact that it is not close to optimum as an open gun.  It all comes down ti realistic expectations

I shot with a guy last week who had a open Glock and had a jam at least twice on every stage. I was in same boat as you but with carry optic because I wanted a shadow 2 but couldn’t afford it and went with a Glock and finally had enough for shadow 2 and I wish I would’ve went shadow 2 from get go. So if I were if wait and get what you truly want instead of settling for something because you can afford it here and now. The wait will be worth it

sell the glock and look for a used open gun? at least around here there are more used open guns for sale than people willing to buy them, so prices go down fast and there are always excellent bargains available. 

open guns are a terrible investment. which makes for a great 2nd hand market.