Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide ride red dot intensity

gianmarko

Hi all

i am pretty happy with the slide ride red dot i have sitting on top of my czechmates

only problem i have is that  even at max intensity in full sun the red dot is really not very bright. 

i have a DPP and the red dot is a lot brighter. 

i have several cmore slide ride and some are brighter than others even at same MOA size, but all are  too weak in full daylight, and the brown color of the targets does not help at all. 

i have one with a 8moa dot and that is a bit better than the others, but i like more the 6moa as it wont cover far away targets

has anybody noticed this difformity in intensity between different slide ride dots?   any idea on how to improve intensity of dot assuming is possible at all?  

i have measured the current draw of several emitters and it seems to vary quite a lot, which is anyway sort of typical with leds at nominal forward current and run with a simple resistor to limit current (if there is a resistor at all) 

and before someone asks, i do not use the DPP because with it i am slower than with the cmore 🙂 , not to mention that a cmore will virtually never fail, while i see lots of people having troubles with the latest fashion  micro red dots.

i am now experimenting with a DPP  mount i have designed myself after i saw Robin Szebo pistol, the DPP sits right at the rear end of the slide. mounted this way, the apparent size of the glass is equal to that of the slide ride laterally, and a bit smaller vertically, might work better for me, but not going to use it in competitions until it has proven 100% reliable 

lastly, i suspect some dirt might be somewhat obscuring the emitter, does anyone know if and how to clean the emitter without damaging it? 

thanks gm

I have 3 different C more Slide Ride scopes on my open pistols... I have noticed that one of them is MUCH  brighter that the other 2... new batteries do not make a difference & they are all the same MOA … I am under the impression some diodes are brighter than others .. I bought a new diode to attempt to see if the diodes that are less bright may be going south without any improvement …   I use canned air to blow away all dust then clean the emitter with a cotton q-tip and alcohol … cleaning does help.. 

The modules can go bad and get dim. Also I have found that when my battery goes below 2.8 volts I toss it out because it will not be as bright.

Have you tried to swap modules between sights to see if it is the sight or module?

Edited by sauza45

35 minutes ago, sauza45 said:

The modules can go bad and get dim. Also I have found that when my battery goes below 2.8 volts I toss it out because it will not be as bright.

Have you tried to swap modules between sights to see if it is the sight or module?

yes is definitely the module...

i use 2x LR44 button cells instead of the single expensive standard battery. they are supercheap, and according to my measurements, slightly superior in voltage when fully charged.

i change them before every match.