Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Rvajma

Shooting same match more than once

Recommended Posts

I went to a new club in another state this weekend to shoot a Level 1 USPSA match.  They run squads at 9am Saturday, 9am Sunday and 1pm Sunday.  Of 84 scores posted in Practiscore, 13 of the shooters shot it twice, and 2 shooters posted 3 scores.  Some in the same division, some in multiple.  The overall match winner shot open on two different squads.  Is this normally allowed?  Seems like you should only be able to post one score in a match, as doing multiples is like having a practice run, especially if shooting the same division multiple times.  I know in local IDPA match, they let you take a second run, but add 900 seconds to your time ensuring the second run was just for fun/practice.

 

Any thoughts?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rvajma said:

I went to a new club in another state this weekend to shoot a Level 1 USPSA match.  They run squads at 9am Saturday, 9am Sunday and 1pm Sunday.  Of 84 scores posted in Practiscore, 13 of the shooters shot it twice, and 2 shooters posted 3 scores.  Some in the same division, some in multiple.  The overall match winner shot open on two different squads.  Is this normally allowed?  Seems like you should only be able to post one score in a match, as doing multiples is like having a practice run, especially if shooting the same division multiple times.  I know in local IDPA match, they let you take a second run, but add 900 seconds to your time ensuring the second run was just for fun/practice.

 

Any thoughts?

 

Thanks.

6.2.4.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our match allows it. if the weather is good, a squad will form of guys who want to shoot shoot “second gun” and go through the whole match again.

 

The practiscore entries will show “john smith” and “john smith 2nd” so we know which guys got a warmup run and whose improved scores don’t really count ;) 

 

A lot of them will switch divisions - shooting Lim and Open, or Production then PCC.

 

Interestingly those who shoot the same division twice often show little to no improvement. I know I find it difficult to focus, and to take the second pass 100% as seriously as the first.

 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Rvajma said:

I went to a new club in another state this weekend to shoot a Level 1 USPSA match.  They run squads at 9am Saturday, 9am Sunday and 1pm Sunday.  Of 84 scores posted in Practiscore, 13 of the shooters shot it twice, and 2 shooters posted 3 scores.  Some in the same division, some in multiple.  The overall match winner shot open on two different squads.  Is this normally allowed?  Seems like you should only be able to post one score in a match, as doing multiples is like having a practice run, especially if shooting the same division multiple times.  I know in local IDPA match, they let you take a second run, but add 900 seconds to your time ensuring the second run was just for fun/practice.

 

Any thoughts?

 

Thanks.

One of our local matches has AM and PM squads.  A few people shoot both.  Nothing wrong with it.  And BTW there is no "overall match winner".  This concept of HOA has been exacerbated by the way Practiscore reports scores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I went to a new club in another state this weekend to shoot a Level 1 USPSA match.  They run squads at 9am Saturday, 9am Sunday and 1pm Sunday.  Of 84 scores posted in Practiscore, 13 of the shooters shot it twice, and 2 shooters posted 3 scores.  Some in the same division, some in multiple.  The overall match winner shot open on two different squads.  Is this normally allowed?  Seems like you should only be able to post one score in a match, as doing multiples is like having a practice run, especially if shooting the same division multiple times.  I know in local IDPA match, they let you take a second run, but add 900 seconds to your time ensuring the second run was just for fun/practice.
 
Any thoughts?
 
Thanks.
kinda cool to see if you could run it better or worse in the same or a different division

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have shot matches where a guy shot 2 divisions in 1 match, so he shot 2 guns on 1 squad, he doubled the work for us and cut his reset time down to practically 0, he also shot pee see see while he had a pistol on, should have just DQ'd him.

 

If shooting multiple times on different squads I don't see a problem with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of us don't have the rule book memorized or right in front of us on on a phone.

Personally, as long as there is sufficient shooter slots, then what does it matter. It wouldn't be right to bump another shooter out if the slots were limited, but otherwise, pffft!

The club would be more than happy to have another entrant and his fee, so as long as a shooter pays two fees it's the same in my book. And squads can be balanced just fine at registration by counting the number of guns on a squad instead of people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bret said:

I have shot matches where a guy shot 2 divisions in 1 match, so he shot 2 guns on 1 squad, he doubled the work for us and cut his reset time down to practically 0, he also shot pee see see while he had a pistol on, should have just DQ'd him.

 

If shooting multiple times on different squads I don't see a problem with it.

I usually shoot 2 revolvers at a local match one in open and the other in revolver. I never seem to double the work of others as all I need to do is just switch revolvers. I even have time to RO or run the pad. We also have shooters who shoot limited and PPC on the same squad as me and we all seem to make it work without having others work harder. Sounds to me like the shooter is the problem. If so don't let them shoot 2 guns or send them to another squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love shooting twice, and I prefer to do it in the same division with the same gun. I do it whenever I'm given a chance. For precisely the reasons you seem to think are bad ones. hahahaha.

Edited by rowdyb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its fine as long as second run, whether new gun or not is clearly labeled . Shooting is fun. Shooting more is more fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am fine with folks shooting twice, but their first run should be the only one that counts for the match.  Any subsequent run, especially if shooting the same division equates to an unfair advantage over others. I try to do it at my weekly IDPA match, but realize only my first run counts for score.

 

 

 

Edited by Rvajma
left s#!t off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two of my local matches we shoot once on Saturday and once on Sunday.  Don't have to do both and can do so in different divisions.  We tried allowing people to shoot 2 guns in the same squad and it did not work out.  We have squads between 8-12 and having one or two people taking care of 2 guns was too much time out of the rotation of ROing, pasting, scoring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Local matches here are just for fun and practice. If people are so worried about their finish at a local match I would hate to see how they feel after a sectional or nationals. They would come up with another excuse why they got beat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When our local matches have an AM and PM match, the PM match usually doesn't fill up. We are allowed to sign up twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, revoman said:

I usually shoot 2 revolvers at a local match one in open and the other in revolver. I never seem to double the work of others as all I need to do is just switch revolvers. I even have time to RO or run the pad. We also have shooters who shoot limited and PPC on the same squad as me and we all seem to make it work without having others work harder. Sounds to me like the shooter is the problem. If so don't let them shoot 2 guns or send them to another squad.

We don't let folks enter two guns on the same squad (USPSA). Doesn't matter if you are superpasterman, if you are on deck twice and reloading twice and shooting twice and fiddling with changing equipment then most will not be pulling  much of the load. With wheel guns and clips all loaded pre match I could see it working out better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, revoman said:

I usually shoot 2 revolvers at a local match one in open and the other in revolver. I never seem to double the work of others as all I need to do is just switch revolvers. I even have time to RO or run the pad. We also have shooters who shoot limited and PPC on the same squad as me and we all seem to make it work without having others work harder. Sounds to me like the shooter is the problem. If so don't let them shoot 2 guns or send them to another squad.

Not this guy, has to walk the stage twice, always loading mags, he was bragging about how great his Glock trigger was,  on an unloaded start, puts a mag in, racks the slide, bang!  

 

Shot hits the ground 5 feet in front of him.

 

I said man that trigger is awesome isn't it.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, revoman said:

Local matches here are just for fun and practice. If people are so worried about their finish at a local match I would hate to see how they feel after a sectional or nationals. They would come up with another excuse why they got beat. 

 

I go to locals to practice my excuses🤣

 

Its fairly common around here for a few guys to shoot two divisions in one day. They definitely don’t do as much reset, but honestly it’s not that big of a deal. I’ve RO’d majors where the “GM, sponsored shooters” wouldn’t get off their ass to tape one target—and all they had to mess with was one gun. 

 

As as far as it being an advantage: who cares. You get beat by a guy that shot the match three times? Sign up three times next month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When clubs do this, do they charge full match fee for each entry? I was considering doing some of this at my club as a way to play with a couple other divisions, and wasn't sure how it's normally handled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the clubs I shoot at has a lot of shooters wanting to shoot.  In the winter, they have morning and afternoon squads.  They usually let you sign up for both sessions.  They get twice the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Barcode1337 said:

When clubs do this, do they charge full match fee for each entry? I was considering doing some of this at my club as a way to play with a couple other divisions, and wasn't sure how it's normally handled.

What I've seen is the bigger the match or the less the help the more they charge, both guns same full price. IF the match is a little smaller and they flow goes a little easier how they do it then the second gun is normally less, for example 1st 25, second 20 bucks.

 

And to those crying it's an unfair advantage, no it isn't. Everyone has the opportunity to shoot twice. So it is fair. Your finishing position is dependent on your actions alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HCH said:

 

I go to locals to practice my excuses🤣

 

Its fairly common around here for a few guys to shoot two divisions in one day. They definitely don’t do as much reset, but honestly it’s not that big of a deal. I’ve RO’d majors where the “GM, sponsored shooters” wouldn’t get off their ass to tape one target—and all they had to mess with was one gun. 

 

As as far as it being an advantage: who cares. You get beat by a guy that shot the match three times? Sign up three times next month. 

Good point. I see that frequently. I shoot 2 divisions frequently. Usually PCC and something else. Limited or open. I always work my ass off resetting and pasting. And frequently find myself with a timer or tablet. Often up until I have to shoot.
I find that if I'm committed to the match for the day I may as well get twice the trigger time. I feel like it helps create what I call "match endurance." The ability to focus for 12 stages instead of just 6. When shooting PCC I try to shoot a different stage plan and take longer shots as well. It helps me learn a lot about stage planning. And helps me get some carbine work in which is important to me because of my occupation.
I figure why not? Helps the range out with more money. And the sport is here to have fun, and to promote shooting. So the more the better IMO.

I have not seen the ability to shoot 2 divisions at major matches. So no given advantage available there which would be the only problem I could see.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Barcode1337 said:

When clubs do this, do they charge full match fee for each entry? I was considering doing some of this at my club as a way to play with a couple other divisions, and wasn't sure how it's normally handled.

 

yes they charge per gun. So double the money for entry fee, buying another gun, buying double the ammo or loading twice the ammo. It gets expensive but I think its worth it. see my other comment above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is one guy here who routinely shoots  USPSA Limited and PCC at the club level.  He is efficient about making the changeover and I do not get the idea that he is shirking on the pasting.  There are others who do it part time. 

 

Now if he wanted to shoot the same Division twice, I would hope to see only his first run counted for placement, even at our small event.

 

Of course if you DON'T shoot two guns at Steel, you are considered kind of weird. 

Edited by Jim Watson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

Of course if you DON'T shoot two guns at Steel, you are considered kind of weird. 


Oh so true ! The car is full of ammo and guns for Speed Steel 🙂 

If the goal of shooting a club match is practice, then as much shooting as they'll allow you to do is a good thing IMO. Thanks to Ken I shot Berry's Steel Match last year in 2 x divisions with the same gun (Limited and Production) in the same squad. No-one in the squad complained and because I wasn't competitive, it really didn't matter. The attitude displayed by many people there was impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, revoman said:

Local matches here are just for fun and practice. If people are so worried about their finish at a local match I would hate to see how they feel after a sectional or nationals. They would come up with another excuse why they got beat. 

 

So in a good year I get to shoot one upper level match. Perhaps a single sectional. No nationals.

 

Maybe the level 1 matches don't matter to you but they sure as hell matter to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...