Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm loads with 147gr precision bullets/CFE pistol powder

TxCoqui

I bought 9mm 147gr precision bullets and I want to load them with CFE powder. Has anyone had any experience with this load configuration?

I made a batch of samples with the following recipe:
CFE powder 3.5 gr and 3.8 gr with the OAL set at 1.100”. 

Test:
XDM 5.25 18 lb and 16 lb recoil spring bench tested. Both the 3.5 gr and 3.8 gr groupings were 1 1/2 “. 

This test results were great in accuracy, but I would like to hear if anyone has had any experience with this bullet configuration? 

On 8/20/2019 at 5:32 PM, TxCoqui said:

Does the OAL have a lot of effect on the bullet performance? I am basically running the same load but my OAL is 1.100. 

Depends on the load and the gun, but yeah, sometimes changing OAL can make a big difference in accuracy. Other times the difference is pretty small. You won't know till you try it, but don't assume a certain length in another gun is best in your gun. 

Edited by Yondering

On 8/20/2019 at 8:32 PM, TxCoqui said:

Does the OAL have a lot of effect on the bullet performance? I am basically running the same load but my OAL is 1.100. 

Trying to eek out gains in accuracy by changing the OAL is a complete waste of time. Even if gains were to be had, most can't shoot well enough to take advantage of them. Choose an OAL that functions and let 'er rip.

Edited by 4n2t0

Great information. I will be going to the range today and test a new batch. I bought a chronometer to measure the bullet velocity. I haven’t changed the OAL since the previous test the accuracy was great and consistent.

My my goal is to tune the load and change the recoil spring to get the XDM 5.25 to shoot as flat as possible.    

5 hours ago, TxCoqui said:

Great information. I will be going to the range today and test a new batch. I bought a chronometer to measure the bullet velocity. I haven’t changed the OAL since the previous test the accuracy was great and consistent.

My my goal is to tune the load and change the recoil spring to get the XDM 5.25 to shoot as flat as possible.    

Then Id suggest a faster powder unless you are running a compensator. 

5 minutes ago, TxCoqui said:

I new to this. What would a faster power do?  In what way will it help to shoot flatter?

Yes. It will shoot flatter. Using a faster powder means that the build up of pressure in the case will be faster when fired...and therefore, the charge can be smaller. A smaller charge means less recoil. 

Look at all the minor load data here on the site. Most all are using a heavy bullet and a fast powder.

pretty much anything on the fast end of the burn rate chart. Tight group has heat and smoke issues with poly coated, but most of the others between it and 231 will probably be fine. Clean shot, AA2, VV320, Sport Pistol,  American Select, 231, 244, Hp38,

Great info. I will looking into other powders. On the other hand, I had pretty good results with the CFE powder with loads of 3.8 and 4.0gr of powder. 

Springfield 5.25 9mm

3.8gr Average Velocity: 994.5 FPS

4.0gr Average Velocity: 1025 FPS

CZ Scorpion 

3.8gr Average Velocity: 1086.8 FPS

4.0gr Average Velocity: 1115.2 FPS

1” groupings @ 25 yards 

Temperature: Texas *#&* heat 101DegF