Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Romeo3 Max First Impressions

Rich406

Received my Romeo3 Max today.  I’ve been using a SRO for the last 6 weeks and have been pretty happy with it since I’ve learned the quirks of the optic. That said, I’ve been waiting for the R3 Max for awhile now, so I mounted it up to an X5 and ran some rounds through it. 

the window is pretty big, noticeably wider than the SRO but about the same height. Dot was very bright and very adjustable. On some dots I’ve tried, like the romeo1 6MOA and the SRO, the dot goes from dim to full bright in 1 or 2 clicks. The Max has many intermediate brightness settings, very easy to get it dialed in for exact lighting conditions. the zero adjustment dials had positive and audible clicks when adjusting. Reminded me of the DPP adjustment knobs, which I think are the best system. 

the bezel around the glass is thin and almost disappears when in use, the glass is clear and distortion free. I’ve included a pic of the window compared to a SRO. 

Overall, if it’s reliable, it looks like it will be a good choice. 

48D353D9-A914-48DD-8E9D-A820B8A11901.jpeg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

The bezel looks way better on the Romeo3.  Very thin looking so I wonder if it will be strong enough over many recoil cycles to hold the glass in place.  Both are good looking windows but based on your picture I would lean towards the Romeo3.  What is the price point of that optic?

Mid to high 500s. I’m sure the price will come down as it becomes more available, just like the SRO has. 

1 hour ago, BillR1 said:

Pass...I'm going to wait for the Romeo1 Pro that will be out soon. It will fit the Legion with no mounting plate, so it will sit lower.

Supposedly at some point sig will make a slide that is pre milled for the R3 Max

16 hours ago, perob said:

Could you post some photos of the entire gun from the side with the optic mounted? Would like to get an impression of the size difference and how far forward it mounts. 

it’s pretty far forward using the springer plate. I’m interested to see how it mounts on the legion, the lens is sure to collect a ton of crud from the LCI slot in the barrel. 

CAE91780-A7EF-47D0-B430-E48C854DD89F.jpeg

18 minutes ago, jeremy kemlo said:

The only down side would seem be that the Romeo max looks like it sits a lot higher than the sro. I have the dpp. Do you know how the height of the base of the Romeo max comparison to the dpp?

the center of the window on the Max is 1.24” over the center of the bore, on a p320 X5 with springer plate. If I remember right the SRO was around 1.20”

Edited by Rich406

5 hours ago, Rich406 said:

it’s pretty far forward using the springer plate. I’m interested to see how it mounts on the legion, the lens is sure to collect a ton of crud from the LCI slot in the barrel. 

CAE91780-A7EF-47D0-B430-E48C854DD89F.jpeg

That's my concern as well with the Legion. So far I think the SRO might be a better option. Hope you can test the Max on the Legion soon. 

Nice. Keep us updated after a range session. Since Springer hasn’t released a Legion plate to mount R3 Max I elected on a SRO. The good news is no fouling from the LCI barrel after a 600rd session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Stician said:

Nice. Keep us updated after a range session. Since Springer hasn’t released a Legion plate to mount R3 Max I elected on a SRO. The good news is no fouling from the LCI barrel after a 600rd session.

For some reason i thought the R3Max mounted directly to the legion, and would need a plate to mount to a standard X5

For some reason i thought the R3Max mounted directly to the legion, and would need a plate to mount to a standard X5

Who knew Sig would release a new Legion pistol designed for DPP footprint and it’s not compatible with Romeo 1, and Romeo 3 Max needs adaptor plates. And who knew the Romeo 3 Max would be made available for sale before the Romeo 1 Pro.

Guys with X5 top ends have all RDS options available due to aftermarket support.

12 minutes ago, Stician said:

Who knew Sig would release a new Legion pistol designed for DPP footprint and it’s not compatible with Romeo 1, and Romeo 3 Max needs adaptor plates. And who knew the Romeo 3 Max would be made available for sale before the Romeo 1 Pro.

Guys with X5 top ends have all RDS options available due to aftermarket support.

This is ridiculous....is the romeo  3 max mounting pattern brand new or consistent with anything that already exists?

1 hour ago, Stician said:

the overhang when using the SRO on the legion is ideal for keeping the lens clean. And using the 12# recoil spring I never had a malfunction in over 7500 rounds. 

3 minutes ago, Smithcity said:

This is ridiculous....is the romeo  3 max mounting pattern brand new or consistent with anything that already exists?

It’s the same as the previous Romeo 3, also the same as the cmore rts2, and various clones. 

the mounting pattern for the mounting screws is actually the same as the romeo1, DPP, vortex and couple others I can’t remember, it’s just much longer than these other optics. 

15 hours ago, Rich406 said:

the center of the window on the Max is 1.24” over the center of the bore, on a p320 X5 with springer plate. If I remember right the SRO was around 1.20”

How would that compare to the height of the dpp?

R3 Max has a RTS2 footprint. There are plates for it if you have a X5 top end. Eventually Springer will make a plate. The good news is they have a Legion plate to adapt to SRO/RMR. And the Legion is milled for DPP and Romeo 1 Pro.