Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When no one in the squad wants to RO

Sandbagger123

Just now, ChuckS said:

Again, did you ask them?

I didn't ask them, and if they were I wouldn't care is they were. Local matches are all volunteer events, you know that. 

These are guys that shoot multiple locals a month, and have for more than a decade. They know that as well. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/28/2019 at 3:17 PM, Maximis228 said:

I stopped going to a lot of locals because I was one of the very few who knew the rules. I want to go have fun and I end up working all day long. It gets old very quickly.

The one club I ran for 4 years would (And still does) reimburse regulars who take and pass the RO/CRO/RM courses. Its not a lot but takes some of the sting of killing a weekend.

My club reimburses for the class as well.  The closes class to my club is about 3 hours away every year so it still means a night or two in a hotel that is not reimbursed but it dose help.

2 minutes ago, Woodsk said:

I didn't ask them, and if they were I wouldn't care is they were. Local matches are all volunteer events, you know that. 

These are guys that shoot multiple locals a month, and have for more than a decade. They know that as well. 

Ya know, I have grabbed the timer first, and other times I had just focused on some shooting issue I was dealing with. I know for a fact that I never have said "no" to a request to RO. Perhaps communicating with them instead of getting pissed would be a better idea?

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Ya know, I have grabbed the timer first, and other times I had just focused on some shooting issue I was dealing with. I know for a fact that I never have said "no" to a request to RO. Perhaps communicating with them instead of getting pissed would be a better idea?

Ok make the assumption that they were not directly asked. 

I still hate ROing. Use to not hate it, but do now, don't mind taping and setting though.  I will still RO, but sombody will have to ask, I won't generally volunteer unless it is all noobs on the squad 

I try to look over the squads and make sure there are at least 2 or 3 people that I know can run the timer on each squad.

If one squad is a little light on leadership I move myself to that one so that they keep moving and don't slow down the match.

If I had something happen like the OP described where no one was willing to help I would probably refund their match fees and send them all home.

• 1 month later...

For the club where I am MD I would try to find a certified RO to fit that squad even if it meant moving someone and asking a favor. Although sometimes my match might not have 50 shooters and we had only 25 and it just wasnt possible, there wasnt enough ROs. At that point we would at least have guys who have shot USPSA before and they will be designated as the RO. If they all declined being able to do it then I would split the squad and they have to join another or go home. I think its a culture thing, but in my area in north east all shooters run tablets and timers as there is rarely enough certified ROs. As Match staff if you anticipate this happening then you need to offer a RO 101 type of class before the match to help get these guys somewhat comfortable and knowledgeable.

12 hours ago, hurley326 said:

As Match staff if you anticipate this happening then you need to offer a RO 101 type of class before the match to help get these guys somewhat comfortable and knowledgeable.

You know, there's an RMI who lives not far from you.  Why not see if you can schedule a proper Level 1 RO class one weekend?

On 9/14/2019 at 9:14 PM, davidb72 said:

I try to look over the squads and make sure there are at least 2 or 3 people that I know can run the timer on each squad.

If one squad is a little light on leadership I move myself to that one so that they keep moving and don't slow down the match.

If I had something happen like the OP described where no one was willing to help I would probably refund their match fees and send them all home.

I’ll do the same if I can pick it up. I like to think by the time the match starts I’ve done enough of the leg work until it starts to wind down or the first thing goes wrong 

You know, there's an RMI who lives not far from you.  Why not see if you can schedule a proper Level 1 RO class one weekend?

I’ve scheduled and hosted a RO class prior to standing up my USPSA club. I was told that most clubs just stand up and worry about the RO class down the road after the 1st year so that they can qualify for the free new club offering for an RO class. I was surprised that is the standard and it was suggested to start up a club without having the MD or regular shooters there certified ROs.

I didn’t feel comfortable being the match director and not being an RO myself or having other qualified people prior to starting a match. So we even paid the cost for all of our club members who wanted to take the class. Had about 22 attendees with about 10 being members of our range. We had only about 5 people who passed that would go on to be regular shooters at our match. Multiple failed and didn’t return and others were out of state people who traveled to get the cert.

We simply don’t have enough interest to meet the minimum attendee requirements to host another class and we definitely won’t be fronting the cost of the instructors travel and lodging knowing that people didn’t take the course seriously enough last time. If I had 10 guys who were interested that were regulars at my match then maybe I would try to fill the other spots with shooters from the section who may be willing to travel to attend, but I’m not going through all that trouble for shooters who don’t attend my match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hurley ...

When I was treasurer for my local club we came up with the following ...

We had folks cough up their fair share for the class in advance.  Then, AFTER they provided me proof they passed the final test I reimbursed them their fee.  (Note:. This was for members of OUR club.  Members of some other club could request THEIR club reimburse them.). It provided an incentive for folks to complete the class AND pass the test.  While I was running the program it seemed to work pretty well.

22 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Hurley ...

When I was treasurer for my local club we came up with the following ...

We had folks cough up their fair share for the class in advance.  Then, AFTER they provided me proof they passed the final test I reimbursed them their fee.  (Note:. This was for members of OUR club.  Members of some other club could request THEIR club reimburse them.). It provided an incentive for folks to complete the class AND pass the test.  While I was running the program it seemed to work pretty well.

I agree, if we ever did run one again this is exactly the way that I would do it. Lessons learned but at least I got a few ROs out of it. I just wish we had more interested for me even to consider running another.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...