Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When no one in the squad wants to RO

Sandbagger123

11 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

I'm blessed, the matches locally are probably close to 50% certified RO or higher. The one time I had a squad that was light and didnt have any certified ROs they froze for a couple minutes at the beginning of the match, until I pointed out that several of them had been shooting for a year or more and knew enough to do the job, they all jumped in and got to work and the day went off without a hitch. Next TO class we held almost that entire squad attended.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Same here. The bulk of MD's here comp your fees if you RO. Sometimes it's actually hard to get an RO gig at a local! LOL 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Same here. The bulk of MD's here comp your fees if you RO. Sometimes it's actually hard to get an RO gig at a local! LOL 

we don't comp ROs or anything like that we just have a very rules-centric culture.

I was on a squad a couple months ago at the other local USPSA club and someone asked who was a RO when we all go to the first stage, of the 17 shooters on the squad we had 2 new shooters that were not RO's and one expired former area director. 

4 hours ago, nasty618 said:

The extreme opposite of the "nobody wants to RO" and "MD doesnt have enough certified ROs on squads" problem is a club that explicitly doesn't want outside certified and experienced ROs to run shooters and imposes their own additional vetting criteria on them.  They instead have their own trusted and vetted (but sometimes not certified) ROs running the timer...  Which is fine i guess.  But personally, i think one of the greatest gifts an invested and more-than-casual competitor can get from a local match is a certified RO who gives proper range commands and scores targets correctly.  I dont want to go to battle for every hit that "doesnt break the perf" and have to explain the scoring rules every time there is an attempt to rob a shooter of an alpha by a "club vetted" RO.  

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon or is this a unique one-off situation that i ran into?

You're not the only one buddy. I ran into it all over the country and it's very strange. Especially when those guys don't know a single word of the proper range commands. 

And no I'm not talking about idpa matches, I don't shoot those. 

16 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

As the MD, why on earth would you allow a squad to happen with nobody on it willing or able to RO? When that happens at my matches, I liquidate that squad of deadbeats and put them on other squads that have a enough RO's to run the squad effectively. When they bitch about being moved, I tell them they have two options. Option 1 - Start ROing so you can help make the match happen, or Option 2 - Consumer Shooters don't get a choice in their squading if they are not willing to work.

A BIG +1. Regardless of the initial practiscore squad sign up, the MD has the responsibility to insure that each squad has enough ROs & scorekeepers, who can run the pad, to keep the squad and the match moving smoothly. Good MDs do that, and if someone gets all butthurt about being moved from their initial sign up squad... too darned bad!

I haven't squared with my buddies in a long time because the MD balances the squads not just for size but for ROs as well. I often get moved to help RO other squads since for locals we don't do dedicated.

I do prefer when there are 3 or 4 people willing to RO on each squad, otherwise it makes for a really long day and my shooting is impacted.

We won't let a squad leave the sign in area without a designated RO and preferably a certified RO. All RO's shoot for free so there is usually no problem getting someone to step up. If there is only one person on the squad that has RO experience, it becomes a teaching moment for the rest of the squad. Time to understand how to run the timer and score targets...etc.  If you want to play the game, you have to participate in the whole game.

The person who does the squadding/stats at my club does his best to have at least 3 people who know how to RO, even if they aren't certified. Our club is also good about teaching people to use the tablet so we can pass that around as needed. The only time I've had an issue at my local matches with not having someone to run the timer was when we had the 3 guys who knew how to RO too close to one another in the shooting order. So I changed the shooting order to give us some breathing room.

I stopped going to a lot of locals because I was one of the very few who knew the rules. I want to go have fun and I end up working all day long. It gets old very quickly.

The one club I ran for 4 years would (And still does) reimburse regulars who take and pass the RO/CRO/RM courses. Its not a lot but takes some of the sting of killing a weekend.

1 hour ago, Maximis228 said:

I stopped going to a lot of locals because I was one of the very few who knew the rules. I want to go have fun and I end up working all day long. It gets old very quickly.

The one club I ran for 4 years would (And still does) reimburse regulars who take and pass the RO/CRO/RM courses. Its not a lot but takes some of the sting of killing a weekend.

yep and only thing worse than that is being only one on squad that knows the rules, and all the rest come from IDPA and THINK they know the rules.  

Two of the clubs I shoot at ask if you are a R/O at sign up (Practiscore).  The MD spreads the RO's out among the squads (if needed).  The tablet then highlights the RO's on the squad and the squad leader.   The third club has morning/afternoon RO's (they shoot at a discount).  This club also has open squadding.  The tablet gets passed from shooter to shooter at all the clubs I shoot at though. 

From the MD's perspective, I understand how they want to balance all the squads and make sure that each squad has a certified RO. At the same time however, if you're a certified RO and it's a match that fills up in a couple minutes, and you want to squad with your friends, it sucks when you get pulled out of the squad with your friends and get put in a different squad.

1 hour ago, sc68cal said:

From the MD's perspective, I understand how they want to balance all the squads and make sure that each squad has a certified RO. At the same time however, if you're a certified RO and it's a match that fills up in a couple minutes, and you want to squad with your friends, it sucks when you get pulled out of the squad with your friends and get put in a different squad.

It happens to me often but as a volunteer sport, would you rather squad with your buddies or have the matches go away because not enough people are willing to be more than just a shooter?

8 minutes ago, broadside72 said:

It happens to me often but as a volunteer sport, would you rather squad with your buddies or have the matches go away because not enough people are willing to be more than just a shooter?

I understand that, but it lets other people off the hook. They get to squad with their buddies while the people who are certified RO's don't have that same luxury. It's the free rider problem. The obvious solution is more people need to volunteer to become certified RO's, but we all know how often that happens.

Edited by sc68cal

1 hour ago, sc68cal said:

I understand that, but it lets other people off the hook. They get to squad with their buddies while the people who are certified RO's don't have that same luxury. It's the free rider problem. The obvious solution is more people need to volunteer to become certified RO's, but we all know how often that happens.

We have added a bunch of Ro's recently in our section, and have a CRO class running soon.  A few of my friends became RO's to help with the load.

This will eventually lead to dedicated squad RO's and hopefully they get comp'd or discounted match fees for the trouble.

But some days I just want to shoot... It would be nice if there was a pool to draw from at each local club. Maybe I'll propose that where I shoot.