Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris FF3 8MOA

lawboy

I don't shoot Co because I do not own a production legal pistol.  However, I have five FF3 8 MOAs.  They are great.  Three of them are slide mounted in dovetail adapters.  The oldest wa on one of my 1911 45s shooting major and minor.  It went 40,000 rounds before the little plastic cover over the diode port broke.  The sigh still worked fine, but Burris insisted on replacing it.  I sent it in and Burris sent a new sight.

I have a second mounted directly to the milled slide on another 1911 45.  Works like a charm.  A third is also on a reciprocating slide.  All hold zero and I have no problems with any of them.  The other two are on 22s .  One is on a custom Buckmark (reciprocating).  The other is on a sight rail and does not move when the gun fires.

About the only thing I can knock the FF3 * MOA for is if the battery is a year or two old, it isn't quite bright enough for steel challenge in bright sunlight.  You can definitely see the dot on the white steel, but I'd like it a little brighter. 

Thank you for the first hand data points. I have the 3MOA version on a G17. I have had it for about two years but rarely ever shot the gun. Battery is original. I have recently began shooting the gun in uspsa and steel challenge. I have noticed the dot could be brighter against white steel so I will change it. But more importantly, I noticed that I need a larger dot. I think I will order one today. Thanks again. 

Edited by lawboy

I have one (8MOA) on my slide mounted G34 for 3-gun & some USPSA. Been great so far. I was going thru a Vortex about every 6 months sending back for warranty. The Burris has been holding up for over a year. They also have a lifetime warranty. 8moa is great here in Texas in the bright sun. 

gerritm

I’m on my second one. The diopter lens broke on my first one. (Still haven’t figured out how—I pulled it out of the safe and it was shattered.) 

Turnaround was very fast getting a replacement. 

I have been shooting CO off and one for nearly two years, and I like the Burris just fine. 

I had one for a while. I also tried the FF3 with the 3 moa dot. I ended up going away from the FF3 because I wanted better brightness control and trying the two dot sizes taught me I prefer a 5-6 moa dot size.

An 8moa dot is covering 2" at 25 yards. That was just too big of a variance within the dot for me to take A zone head shots. (Or maybe I suck at zeroing to the center of the dot! hahaha)

Ran through 5 of them in 6 months.  Switched to Venom - much better. 

FF3's lose the emitter lens all the time.  Fast split drills, doubles, el prez etc. speed up that process.  One of the FF3 had emitter lens flew off in the first 50 rounds while doing doubles drill. 

Other than the emitter lens issue, I have not encountered other issues, but the most round count I had on FF3s is only 2000... My last Venom lasted over 10k rounds. 

On 8/22/2019 at 10:19 PM, NbX said:

Had 3 FF3 in 3 moa and 2 in 8 MOA, only one i loose the glass over the diode. Very good optic except the battery cover. ..

What problem did you have with the battery cover?

had one briefly, spent 1/2  hour fighting with it trying to get the battery in. At my desk in good light with a magnifying lamp. Never did get it in,  returned it. Terrible design. Battery compartment is partially covered by the hood so you cant come straight down on it and the lid maybe has 1 or 2 threads .  Was impossible for me to get started with the battery in.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using the FF3 8 moa since i started shooting CO. The glass broke on the first one due to brass hitting it. That was at around 4k rounds. I now have almost 10k on the second one with no issues so far. Ive held the venom 6 moa side by side and can't tell much difference in the size of the dot. At least not enough to make me make the transition.